OMFS Programs that have 4 and 6 year spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about programs that have 4 and 6 year spots. Lets take UNC for instance. I've heard great things about this place. They have one 6 year spot and two 4 year spots I believe. Is it common for people to apply for both the 6 year and 4 year spot at a single program in order to increase chances of acceptance? Would that be screwy come interview time?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is advisable to apply to one or the other and not both. That said, the outgoing 6 year chief ranked UNC 6 #1, UNC 4 #2 and he matched to UNC 6. They will all ask you which one you want though and they invite a certain number of people to interview for each spot.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. The quality of your training is dependent on things like good faculty, adequate case load, good didactics, etc.....not whether or not you get a medical degree. I think you have to see above the MD thing to realize you just want to be at UNC (or wherever) regardless of degree, because you like their training, period.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is advisable to apply to one or the other and not both. That said, the outgoing 6 year chief ranked UNC 6 #1, UNC 4 #2 and he matched to UNC 6. They will all ask you which one you want though and they invite a certain number of people to interview for each spot.

Hmm interesting. So basically if you apply to both most likely you will only be interviewing for either the 4 year or 6 year. You can't really double dip :p

correct. same for vandy and emory FWIW. I say go for the 6 yr at UNC. They have an awesome program structure, a good med school which is inexpensive, and the 6 yr residents run the show.

correct. same for vandy and emory FWIW. I say go for the 6 yr at UNC. They have an awesome program structure, a good med school which is inexpensive, and the 6 yr residents run the show.

+1 for emory, but med school is not cheap.