omfs residencies with no ent or plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtheman

You know you want it.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been touched on before but i am looking for more names of omfs residencies that have no ent or plastic surgery programs to compete with.

Any input would be great

Members don't see this ad.

Carle
Nova Southeastern

mtheman said:
This has been touched on before but i am looking for more names of omfs residencies that have no ent or plastic surgery programs to compete with.

Any input would be great

UF-Jacksonville
LSU-Shreveport

Members don't see this ad :)
St. Josephs, Patterson NJ- great craniofacial center too.

LSU-Cowboy said:
UF-Jacksonville
LSU-Shreveport
LSU-Shreve has ENT, but they're hardly anyone to compete with...=)

I believe Washington Hospital (DC) has no plastics there...........or maybe they do have the plastic dept just not a plastics residency. I cant remember which.

Henry ford program is now a combination of a bunch of hospitals.. the majority of our cases come from HEnry ford, and Sinai grace.. Sinai grace does not have any ENT/PLastics residents...lots of trauma and head/neck associated things are seen here.

AMMD said:
St. Josephs, Patterson NJ- great craniofacial center too.

Is that the Seton Hall University program? I read the summary of their program on the seton hall GME website. and it said it was a 4yr program but that they had a MD-optional program for their OMS residents that gave them advance standing at St. George's School of Medicine. Is this the St. George's in the carribean? Why don't they have some kind of agreement with UMDNJ or something... this sounds kinda sketchy. Did you extern there.. Do you have any views on this?

Unless St. Josephs also gave their residents an ACGME general surgery year or something after recieving the MD from St. George's SOM, they wouldn't be able to put the MD behind their name anyhow.

http://www.pitch.com/issues/2004-06-17/stline.html
http://www.kscourts.org/kscases/ctapp/2004/20040917/91403.htm

Yes it is the Seton Hall program. I have visited that program... it is a great program. Lot of experience with dentoalveolar, trauma and craniofacial stuff. All the residents I know there did the 4 years without the MD option. However, I imagine that if you were to do the MD option, it would not be the same as the University of Antigua... in this case you would have to do pass StepI, do two years of core clinicals in the USA and then take Step II. You can then apply for a pgy1 GS spot.

AMMD said:
Yes it is the Seton Hall program. I have visited that program... it is a great program. Lot of experience with dentoalveolar, trauma and craniofacial stuff. All the residents I know there did the 4 years without the MD option. However, I imagine that if you were to do the MD option, it would not be the same as the University of Antigua... in this case you would have to do pass StepI, do two years of core clinicals in the USA and then take Step II. You can then apply for a pgy1 GS spot.

Ok.. So in reality if you did the MD-option at SetonHall/St. George, it would be end up being a 7-8 year route. wow! also.. I had heard that some programs are 5-year MD optional programs (UIC, Case?) doing a 4yr then 1 yr of med. But if you did this you would still need to do the ACGME pgy1 year for registration right? so making it also a 6yr program? all 6yr progs include the gensurg year for registration of the MD? so really there are no 5yr OMFS-MD programs..

OzDDS said:
Ok.. So in reality if you did the MD-option at SetonHall/St. George, it would be end up being a 7-8 year route. wow! also.. I had heard that some programs are 5-year MD optional programs (UIC, Case?) doing a 4yr then 1 yr of med. But if you did this you would still need to do the ACGME pgy1 year for registration right? so making it also a 6yr program? all 6yr progs include the gensurg year for registration of the MD? so really there are no 5yr OMFS-MD programs..
Nebraska and case are 5 yr programs.

adamlc18 said:
Nebraska and case are 5 yr programs.

Do they include an ACGME gen surg year? Do they allow for registration of the MD? How does that work?

1 yr Med school, 1 yr gen surg, 3 yr OMS?