OMFS residency for Canadian Student in State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyhighomfs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious if there is a list of programs that Canadians could apply for OMFS in states. I am Canadian currently attending dental school in USA. I know most dual programs are out of question. However, I am curious how many 4 year programs would accept international students?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are actually quite a few programs that will accept Canadians.
Best thing to do is call the programs you are interested in and ask them directly.
Off the top of my head, these are programs I know have taken Canadians in the past (or at the very least interview Canadians):
UW, UT-Houston, LSU-NO, Vanderbilt, WHC, Montefiore, Emory, MGH, Mississippi, UConn, Nebraska, UoP, Denver Health, St. Raphael, UMaryland, UMDNJ, Mt Sinai, Thomas Jefferson.
There are more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State had a Chief from Canada last year

There are actually quite a few programs that will accept Canadians.
Best thing to do is call the programs you are interested in and ask them directly.
Off the top of my head, these are programs I know have taken Canadians in the past (or at the very least interview Canadians):
UW, UT-Houston, LSU-NO, Vanderbilt, WHC, Montefiore, Emory, MGH, Mississippi, UConn, Nebraska, UoP, Denver Health, St. Raphael, UMaryland, UMDNJ, Mt Sinai, Thomas Jefferson.
There are more.

I'm a canadian at a US dental school and applied this year to OMFS programs, and here are some other ones that will take canadians (although, it sometimes can change, and the best way is to ask the directors/program assistants):
washington hospital center takes a lot of canadians, rochester, boston university, banner good sam (arizona), loyola university, the brooklyn hospital, cook county, howard university, montefiore takes a lot of canadians
ones that I heard will accept canadians (or atleast interviewed some this year), but I'm not sure about: nova, USC, UCLA, Long island jewish 4 year only,
side note: i didnt think UT-houston or u of pacific took canadians... I believe I called UT houston and asked them, and they said they had changed their policy recently. The lady was super nice, and started asking me about how my canadian citizenship affected my applications... I wouldn't remember this convo otherwise, but check again.

there are a lot of dual degree programs taht will also take canadians.. don't let that deter you.. if you want it.. try...

kkim85, there are 3 current canadians who are seniors at penn dental who matched to omfs programs.. you should seek them out and ask for their advice.

I'm a canadian at a US dental school and applied this year to OMFS programs, and here are some other ones that will take canadians (although, it sometimes can change, and the best way is to ask the directors/program assistants):
washington hospital center takes a lot of canadians, rochester, boston university, banner good sam (arizona), loyola university, the brooklyn hospital, cook county, howard university, montefiore takes a lot of canadians
ones that I heard will accept canadians (or atleast interviewed some this year), but I'm not sure about: nova, USC, UCLA, Long island jewish 4 year only,
side note: i didnt think UT-houston or u of pacific took canadians... I believe I called UT houston and asked them, and they said they had changed their policy recently. The lady was super nice, and started asking me about how my canadian citizenship affected my applications... I wouldn't remember this convo otherwise, but check again.

there are a lot of dual degree programs taht will also take canadians.. don't let that deter you.. if you want it.. try...

kkim85, there are 3 current canadians who are seniors at penn dental who matched to omfs programs.. you should seek them out and ask for their advice.
this is amazing advice that you sooooooooo much!!!!

I am just curious if there is a list of programs that Canadians could apply for OMFS in states. I am Canadian currently attending dental school in USA. I know most dual programs are out of question. However, I am curious how many 4 year programs would accept international students?

Thanks!
Did you ever get in to a OMFS residency in America?