OMFS residency for International Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

av91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an International Dentist graduating in 2018 with a DMD and looking to apply for OMFS residency. Anybody else who has followed this path- What is a good GPA and CBSE score? Also, does your home country experience count?

Any information would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools won't accept your undergraduate degree from a foreign country so don't apply to 6 year programs. GPA is irrelevant because you've taken minimal basic sciences and mostly clinical courses and the only way to prove yourself is to score higher than traditional applicants on the CBSE. Realize that only 7/223 non-US dental school graduates matched to OMFS this year.

Hi Wizzy! Thanks for the comment!

I am a final year dental student graduating from the six year dental grogram in the University of Hong Kong.

May I ask what is the specific reason for the medical schools not accepting foreign undergraduate degrees? And all the 7 out of the 223 u mentioned were all into the 4 year OMFS residency program?

Medical schools won't accept your undergraduate degree from a foreign country so don't apply to 6 year programs. GPA is irrelevant because you've taken minimal basic sciences and mostly clinical courses and the only way to prove yourself is to score higher than traditional applicants on the CBSE. Realize that only 7/223 non-US dental school graduates matched to OMFS this year.
Where are the numbers on that?

Members don't see this ad :)
In other words, how many internationals applied?

Hello all. I would like to take this discussion forward. i will be graduating in 2019. is it possible to apply for a 6 year program at all? do internships help? I will try to do my own research and get some more answers but lets keep this post active.

following up on my previous post, baltimore requires one to have done undergrad in US. Uconn also is very specific about undergrad credit hours but nowhere does it mention that undergrad should be a US school. Mount sinai is also particular for US undergrad.