OMFS Residency Practice Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSeh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering what kind of stuff other OMFS residency programs are teaching/using in terms of:

1) Implant systems
2) Plating systems
3) Bone grafting
4) Radiography
5) Software
6) Handpieces
7) Anesthesia
8) Other stuff (PRP, BMP, etc)

I'll go first. I attend UIC and we use in no particular order:

1) Nobel, Straumann, 3I, Astra, Zimmer
2) KLS Martin, Walter Lorenz and Synthes rarely
3) Bio-Oss, Puros, autogenous (mostly ramus and iliac crest)
4) Digital (anyone got CBCT yet?)
5) Dolphin Imaging, SimPlant (anyone using Nobel Guide?)
6) Stryker, Hall
7) Versed, Fentanyl, Propofol, Ketamine, Sevoflurane
8) Nope

This is not meant to be an endorsement of any one company or a pissing contest amongst programs. It is just an informal survey. Feel free to add other categories I may have missed.

Thanks,

OMFSeh

Members don't see this ad.

CASE OMFS
1) Implant systems: Nobel Biocare in dental school, Zimmer at the VA
2) Plating systems: KLS, Stryker,Lorenz, Synthes
3) Bone grafting: Autogenous, Puros
4) Radiography: Panorex for dentoalveolar stuff,CBCT almost exclusively for everthing else.
5) Software: Good old colored pencils tracing for cephs,CBCT for orthognathics and reconstructive surgery, implants we use CBCT for big cases, otherwise pencil tracing on Panorex.
6) Handpieces: Stryker, Hall
7) Anesthesia: Versed, Fentenyl, Propofol, Sevo.
8) Other stuff : PRP occasionally.

Parkland
1) Implant systems: Straumann in faculty practice, 3i and another one I can't remember at the VA. ITI somewhere (I think)....we're not too heavy in implants unfortunately.
2) Plating systems: Mainly Synthes, also Stryker. Lorenz Lactosorb for cranial vaults
3) Bone grafting: can't remember, mainly autogenous for MRB
4) Radiography: Panorex, sometimes lateral ceph for thin anterior mandibles
5) Software: Got Dolphin last year, but it's not as user-friendly as we hoped.
6) Handpieces: Stryker
7) Anesthesia: Versed, Fentenyl, Propofol, Ketamine, Brutane if all else fails. I wish we were exposed to LMAs with a volatile.
8) Other stuff : PRP also for big-a$$ bone grafts and leave the PPP in the posterior/anterior hip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody using Flexible LMAs routinely ?

Anybody using Flexible LMAs routinely ?

I heard they are used quite frequently at VCU... Don't know first hand, this is just what I was told by a guy who interviewed there this fall.

Yeah, we do. We treat children who are too uncooperative to place an IV down to the age of 5 years old in our outpatient clinic. Anyone younger, we take to the hospital. We mask them down with Sevo, place a PIV, then place an LMA while they continue to spontaneously breath, do our dentoalveolar surgery and then extubate deep. For these cases, we have an anesthesia and a surgical team, consisting of one resident and one OS attending.

Yeah, we do. We treat children who are too uncooperative to place an IV down to the age of 5 years old in our outpatient clinic. Anyone younger, we take to the hospital. We mask them down with Sevo, place a PIV, then place an LMA while they continue to spontaneously breath, do our dentoalveolar surgery and then extubate deep. For these cases, we have an anesthesia and a surgical team, consisting of one resident and one OS attending.

I wish we did that. We have to chase the little buggers around the room with a Ketamine dart.

I think Ohio State does alot of LMA/vapor, but I can't remember where I heard that from.

CASE OMFS
1) Implant systems: Nobel Biocare in dental school, Zimmer at the VA
2) Plating systems: KLS, Stryker,Lorenz, Synthes
3) Bone grafting: Autogenous, Puros
4) Radiography: Panorex for dentoalveolar stuff,CBCT almost exclusively for everthing else.
5) Software: Good old colored pencils tracing for cephs,CBCT for orthognathics and reconstructive surgery, implants we use CBCT for big cases, otherwise pencil tracing on Panorex.
6) Handpieces: Stryker, Hall
7) Anesthesia: Versed, Fentenyl, Propofol, Sevo.
8) Other stuff : PRP occasionally.

1) Implant systems: Zimmer, IMTEC (for cheap mandibular implants that can be loaded with a denture immediately-great success-nice option for that patient who just doesn't quite have the cash for traditional implants), little Nobel, Little 3i
2) Plating systems: Stryker workhorse most trauma, Lorenz (preformed resorbably orbital floor), Synthes (ex-fix), KLS (sonic weld for some frontal sinus and all of the cranioplasties- this is the best resorbable-so user friendly and fast!)
3) Bone grafting: Autogenous (block, corticocancellous, cancellous), Puros (the block grafts haven't worked but the other partical stuff is good), dynagraft (the reverse phase medium is awesome), PepGen (usually mixed with autogenous)
4) Radiography: Dimaxis Panorex for dentoalveolar stuff-also does a great AP and lateral ceph for orthognathic/cleft/pathology, CBCT should be arriving soon!
5) Software: Dolphin (we have the old one which is only good in the sagital plane-not so good for complex transverse problems. For the straigh forward orthognathic dolphin is lighting fast-). Dimaxis has its own implant stuff that is nice but it is only 2-D)
6) Handpieces: Hall-clinic, Stryker- OR (I hate the stryker for taking out teeth-thankfully we take very few teeth to the OR)
7) Anesthesia: Versed, Fentenyl, Propofol, ketamine (at a private practice office-I love this stuff), Sevo (mask-generals on kids 10 and under-very nice), LMA's on sorry airways (usually the obese person who just happens to be so scared it takes a gallon of the white stuff to keep them down and by the time they stop helping with the procedure, they can't support their own airway-flexible and conventional). I've used LMAs to deliver the sevo but other times, I've used them as just an extremely large airway under a deep sedation that turned into a TIVA. We seem to electively tube about 3-5 patients a year in the office just because someone is scared to put an LMA in with a "bloody procedure".
8) Other stuff : PRP occasionally (mostly on huge 7000-20,000 dollar grafting cases with hip/rib/skull donor sights)