OMFS residency selection criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aphid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding matching into an OMFS residency. My year will be the first year that the boards go pass/fail. On top of that, my school does not rank students. The first 2 years of my dental education is spent in medical school, where the grades are pass/fail too. All the dental courses however, are graded with a percentage.

If my school does not rank, and the boards go pass/fail, would my dental GPA, externships/research/interview be the the only selection factors? I heard from a senior dental students that some omfs programs will require their applicants to take the USMLE step 1 after the dental boards go pass fail. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding matching into an OMFS residency. My year will be the first year that the boards go pass/fail. On top of that, my school does not rank students. The first 2 years of my dental education is spent in medical school, where the grades are pass/fail too. All the dental courses however, are graded with a percentage.

If my school does not rank, and the boards go pass/fail, would my dental GPA, externships/research/interview be the the only selection factors? I heard from a senior dental students that some omfs programs will require their applicants to take the USMLE step 1 after the dental boards go pass fail. Is there any truth to this?

If you do a search you will find very useful info. However, I'll address your questions.
Highly unlikely you will take the USMLE before applying. Mostly just because I don't believe you can just go take it. Similar to the dental boards, your medical school must give the go-ahead.
I'd bet there is a new exam for you to take however. It appears the NBME is a likely candidate.
I just don't see OMS programs going through the application cycles without a scored standardized exam.
In short, I think it'll all be worked out before you get there.

Sounds like you are at Harvard. If that is the case, I am sure you will have no problem getting in somewhere

I just don't see OMS programs going through the application cycles without a scored standardized exam.
In short, I think it'll all be worked out before you get there.

Agreed. there's no way to completely and objectively rank applicants without a subjective standardized exam.