OMFS Residents are funny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Periogod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what SDN is for if the moderators are closing down threads just because OMFS residents are making fun of Periodontists. Half of the fun of this forum is to read their (often times) witty remarks on my future profession. If you read through the "extended scope hygienists" post, most of the crap on there was fairly creative.

Just my opinion, but the moderators need to relax a little bit and let the Perio/OMFS friendly feud work itself out.

Just the other day OMFSCardsFan told me that if his mother needed an impacted mandibular third molar removed he would have me do it because I would be more gentle to the soft tissues. Now that is true OMFS-Perio love :love: .

Members don't see this ad.

Periogod said:
I just want to know what SDN is for if the moderators are closing down threads just because OMFS residents are making fun of Periodontists. Half of the fun of this forum is to read their (often times) witty remarks on my future profession. If you read through the "extended scope hygienists" post, most of the crap on there was fairly creative.

Just my opinion, but the moderators need to relax a little bit and let the Perio/OMFS friendly feud work itself out.

Just the other day OMFSCardsFan told me that if his mother needed an impacted mandibular third molar removed he would have me do it because I would be more gentle to the soft tissues. Now that is true OMFS-Perio love :love: .

I agree...moderators are getting a little "close happy" with their powers. I'm sure next they'll close this or make some statement about the Terms of Service blah, blah.

bitecys said:
I agree...moderators are getting a little "close happy" with their powers. I'm sure next they'll close this or make some statement about the Terms of Service blah, blah.
ditto! they need to chill! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Periogod said:

Don't mistake six hours of fumbling for "gentleness"

Periogod said:

I have 4 legitimate questions

1. Would you rather have your periodontist handle an airway complication with your IV sedation or an oral surgeon (according to the ADA, perio is only required to be BLS certified)

2. Why do peiodontists like to call a gingivectomy "periodontal plastic surgery"

3. why do they wear a surgical cap while doing anything more than a SRP?

4. OMFSCardsFan.....what do you have against yo momma? she's yo momma for God's sake!

scalpel2008 said:

1. Would you rather have your periodontist handle an airway complication with your IV sedation or an oral surgeon (according to the ADA, perio is only required to be BLS certified)

2. Why do peiodontists like to call a gingivectomy "periodontal plastic surgery"

4. OMFSCardsFan.....what do you have against yo momma? she's yo momma for God's sake!
IV sedation is not without risk and there is definitely something to be said about OMS anesthesia training.

On another note, I like to rip on perio but they want to expand their scope just like OMS wants to do cosmetics and cancer. It's a little hard to fault them for that. I do fault them for sucking, though.

scalpel2008 said:

If you actually believed an Oral Surgeon would give a crap about the soft tissues in a third molar site you are crazy (some guys tout sutureless extractions). If you believed that an Oral Surgeon would let a Periodontist take out a third on his mother then you are an idiot (no offense) plus I don't do third molar impactions.

I do, however, do IV sedations and will be ACLS certified (I hope other Perio schools do the same for their residents but am not sure). I would still agree with you that airway complications are probably best managed by an OMFS but I hope you would agree with me in saying that most conscious sedation procedures are extremely safe and well within the ability of an ACLS trained Periodontist.

Your other two questions are just plain stupid :D

Periogod said:
If you actually believed an Oral Surgeon would give a crap about the soft tissues in a third molar site you are crazy (some guys tout sutureless extractions). If you believed that an Oral Surgeon would let a Periodontist take out a third on his mother then you are an idiot (no offense) plus I don't do third molar impactions.

I do, however, do IV sedations and will be ACLS certified (I hope other Perio schools do the same for their residents but am not sure). I would still agree with you that airway complications are probably best managed by an OMFS but I hope you would agree with me in saying that most conscious sedation procedures are extremely safe and well within the ability of an ACLS trained Periodontist.

Your other two questions are just plain stupid :D

i just don't think anyone who has never seen vocal cords should be doing IV sedations, whether it's conscious or deep, but that might just be me.
although it may take 30 mins, that cric scar will be a cosmetic one with all that soft tissue magic.

scalpel2008 said:
although it may take 30 mins, that cric scar will be a cosmetic one with all that soft tissue magic.
That's gotta hurt.

Third molars and IVCS:periodontist::Face lifts and neck dissections:Oral Surgeaons

Now that I'm done with clinical requirements, I like to "hang-out" with the perio residents in the "operating room" as much as possible. I figure we should learn to get along; I mean, each specialty has something to offer the other. For instance, I learned this new extraction technique that can be used in the immediate implant site: insert a periotome deep into the sulcus, have your assistant support the patient's jaw, and proceed to pound on the instrument with a mallet as you work your way circumfrentially around the tooth. Repeat this process for approximately 35 min. and when the patient begins to moan and reach up with their hands to stop the horror, do not be tempted to deepen their state of sedation, for you have not been appropriately trained to do so. Once class III mobility has been achieved, proceed to apply the forceps and delicately remove the tooth. Behold! The atraumatic extraction. Should you leave behind a root fragment, or a portion of the periotome itself, fear not, for the oral surgeons upstairs are always happy to answer your request for "assistance."

And for the periodontists who still think oral surgeons can't manage the gingiva: can you say Dr. Anthony Sclar?

Periodontists are more delicate with soft tissue! I've gotten handjobs from both periodontists and oral surgeons and can say the oral surgeons are always way too rough. However, the periodontists are smooth as silk.

On a side note, I've been noticing a disturbing trend among perio faculty...the lack of a sense of humor. It's really starting to cramp my style. They didn't like my handjob joke one bit.

Periogod said:

i am a predent but i have read a considerable number of flame-posts between OMFS folks and yourself. You, toofache, and especially esclavo post the wittiest comments and i truly get a kick out of it all. i will never forget esclavo's most creative post on SDN, the one in which perio folks would be almost extinct that one would have to go on a safari to spot them sporadically. that post was esclavo's work of OMFS-ego-art for which you were the perio-muse. but i give you a lot of credit for being the lone man standing in the face of several OMFS guys here on SDN. it would not be a bad idea, for the sake of creativity, to summon a few perio guys to stand by you....

i'll be revisiting this thread in anticipation of the posts of esclavo and toofache....

carry on

drhobie7 said:
I've gotten handjobs from both periodontists and oral surgeons and can say the oral surgeons are always way too rough. However, the periodontists are smooth as silk.

that's cus oral surgeons are usually good at oral services, not hand jobs. :p :D

Members don't see this ad :)
fightingspirit said:
i am a predent but i have read a considerable number of flame-posts between OMFS folks and yourself. You, toofache, and especially esclavo post the wittiest comments and i truly get a kick out of it all. i will never forget esclavo's most creative post on SDN, the one in which perio folks would be almost extinct that one would have to go on a safari to spot them sporadically. that post was esclavo's work of OMFS-ego-art for which you were the perio-muse. but i give you a lot of credit for being the lone man standing in the face of several OMFS guys here on SDN. it would not be a bad idea, for the sake of creativity, to summon a few perio guys to stand by you....

i'll be revisiting this thread in anticipation of the posts of esclavo and toofache....

carry on

shut up *****.

drhobie7 said:
Periodontists are oral surgeons and can say the oral surgeons are always way too rough

chaffage is the worst, that reminds me of the worst valentine's day ever back in 8th grade :thumbdown:

drhobie7 said:
Periodontists are more delicate with soft tissue! I've gotten handjobs from both periodontists and oral surgeons and can say the oral surgeons are always way too rough. However, the periodontists are smooth as silk.

Dont forget that hygenists need to be rough to scrape off those stubborn calculus too!

scalpel2008 said:
Nothing, but she's waiting for me to graduate to get that implant to replace #9...five years and counting...

Periogod said:
This is bullsh*t. I suture all my thirds sites with 9-0 Gore-Tex...

Periogod said:
I do, however, do IV sedations and will be ACLS certified...
Doesn't the perio ACLS course primarily focus on how to manage running to the OMFS clinic while screaming like a girl? I've heard that with all the perio advancements these days, they even work in a half-day of ACLS for learning to dial "911"...is this true?

I've got a funny (to me) story from my school...

One of the big wigs (a periodontist) at our school was walking around some hotshot who was going to donate money to the school. He passes by one of the OMS residents in the hallway and introduces the resident to the hotshot. She mentioned that she was a resident in "oral surgery", when the big wig periodontist bristled and said, "well, periodontists ARE oral surgeons, you are an Oral AND MAXILLOFACIAL Surgeon..."

I'm not taking sides on this debate at all, I just thought it was a funny glimpse at the "turf war" between these two gangs....they should settle it West Side Story-style.....

Ron Burgundy said:
I've got a funny (to me) story from my school...

One of the big wigs (a periodontist) at our school was walking around some hotshot who was going to donate money to the school. He passes by one of the OMS residents in the hallway and introduces the resident to the hotshot. She mentioned that she was a resident in "oral surgery", when the big wig periodontist bristled and said, "well, periodontists ARE oral surgeons, you are an Oral AND MAXILLOFACIAL Surgeon..."

I'm not taking sides on this debate at all, I just thought it was a funny glimpse at the "turf war" between these two gangs....they should settle it West Side Story-style.....

From this day forward I will no longer be called a Periodontist. I think my new title will be "Esthetic Oral Surgeon Specializing in Osseous and Gingival Architecture with Subspecialization in Endosseous Dental Implants". I will market myself as an EOSSOGASEDI.

the only turf war i see is the one between the extended scope hygienists and perio.

OMFSCardsFan said:
Nothing, but she's waiting for me to graduate to get that implant to replace #9...five years and counting...

If Mama CardsFan wants a screw (I mean implant) she knows where I am. That goes for either of your sisters too. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Periogod said:
If Mama CardsFan wants a screw (I mean implant) she knows where I am. That goes for either of your sisters too. :thumbup: :thumbup:
If slutty sisters are what you're looking for, you need to talk to OMFSRes...

OMFSCardsFan said:
If slutty sisters are what you're looking for, you need to talk to OMFSRes...

Toofache's got a couple of nice b!tches (i mean dogs) at home too. :smuggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.