omfs residents poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr bojangles

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm curious and/or bored, thought i'd make simple poll......

state location/length of your program
few words on likes
few words on dislikes
(note: emphasis on FEW WORDS, please be brief, just trying for condensed version of previous, related threads)

thanks for your time, now go sleep before you get called back into work (save for those of you cruisin' through the med years:cool:)

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA 6 yr

Likes: tons of 3rds and implants, tons of IV sedations as an R-1, tons of outpatient GAs as a chief, lots of orthognathic, lots of benign pathology and the ICBG recons that go with it, fair amount of TMJ, no cancer (yes that's a pro for me), no cosmetics (yep that's another pro for me), good didactic component, great co-residents & faculty, attendings let residents operate a lot, often the entire case (I did half a B/L TMJ total joint removal and arthroplasty last week as an R-1 because I was the only resident in the OR). Plenty of moonlighting opportunities where you can make some great $. Med school is chill and relatively inexpensive. You can do rotations abroad if you like. One of our chiefs went to Nepal and did a ton of primary cleft cases with some guru out there. It's in a great location.

Dislikes: weak trauma experience, too much didactics on implants, housing is expensive.

MOntefiore 4 yr

The strong: good orthognathics, good trauma, tons of implants, tons of sedations, you will do wizzies till you turn blue, good amount of reconstruction and pathology cases. the faculty and the residents are awesome, and the program places adequate emphasis on didactics. IN addition-the attendings let you cut the entire case

The weak: no head and neck and cosmetics and few TMJ(personally for me, these are plusses :D

in short i love my program and could not be happier.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA 6 yr
Likes: tons of 3rds and implants, tons of IV sedations as an R-1, tons of outpatient GAs as a chief, lots of orthognathic, lots of benign pathology, fair amount of TMJ, no cancer (yes that's a pro for me), no cosmetics (yep that's another pro for me), good didactic component, great co-residents & faculty, attendings let residents operate a lot, often the entire case (I did half a B/L TMJ total joint removal and arthroplasty last week as an R-1 because I was the only resident in the OR).
Dislikes: weak trauma experience, too much didactics on implants

Ditto...

UAB 6 yr

Strong: Get to touch upon every aspect of OMFS, tons of trauma, tons of orthognathics, tons of dentoalveolar (sedations run everyday in the dental school clinic, thirds comin out the eyeballs, probably place at least 100-150 implants before you're done), a good amount of TMJ, a good amount of cosmetics, a fair amount of craniofacial (mostly secondary cl/p repair w/ICBG), and a fair amount of cancer (rotate for a total of 2-3 months w/Dr. Holmes Dierks/Potter trained). Non-call days almost always get out at 5pm. Don't need to round on the weekends if you aren't on call or post-call. 40 months OMFS service, 20 months med school, 8 months General Sx, 4 months Anesthesia (done during your General Sx year... big plus). Can moonlight and do very well. Very strong faculty. Excellent hospital technology (all CT, radiographs, pt info on computer). Nice location, small radius of hospitals to cover that's all in walking distance.

Weak: Can be very anal in the sense that things need to be done in very specific ways. Often find yourself being scolded for more scut-type situations rather than anything else. Otherwise, very little to complain about.

Overall, love my decision to come here! Best of luck to everyone!:luck:

Case 5yr OMFS/MD
Med school: 13 months for only core clerkships, all 4th year med school electives done on OMFS service. You get to moonlight during that time if you have a dental license.
Gen Surg: 4 months core gen surg. 8months between 2m ENT, 2m Plastics, 3m OMFS and 1m Neurosurg , you get certificate of Gen Surg internship.
OMFS: 34 months.
Anesthesia: 5 months, 2 months 1st yr, 3 months 3rd yr.
Foreign elective: 2 months England, Australia, Sweden, Mexico.
Private practice rotation as a chief for 3-4 months.
Chairman: Head and Neck cancer Michigan fellowship trained.
Program director: Cosmetic Sx fellowship trained.

Scope:
DA SX: from day one, you are expected to get good at it very quickly, sedation/ GA from day one. Wizzies, as chief you are expected to run a GA clinic of about 10-12 patient between 8:00a-10:00a as training for private practice, 10-15min per case surgical time.

Implants: 30-50 as an intern at the VA hospital,another 30-50 as a third year, > 200 as chief at the dental school clinic. in addition to the autogenous grafting that goes along, rarely we use bottled bone aka MAGIC DUST. Tibia, cranial bone grafts in the clinic.

Cosmetics: Resident cases staffed by attendings as well as private practice i.e. attendings patients. You cut no matter what.

Craniofacial: lots of alveolar clefts, secondary palates, Hemifacial microsomia, cleft orthognathics.

Orthognathics: 150 cases last year, residents cut the whole case.

Head and Neck Path: benign and malignant, ablative and recon. so far no free flaps, but it's coming soon, we do regional and local flaps.

Trauma: decent amount although we split it with ENT and Plastics, no anatomical restrictions.

TMJ: tons,Cleveland is full of nuts, Scopes, Open and full joint replacements, I hate TMJ sham surgeries but I don't mind total joint replacements.

Weaknesses:
-Med school tution is a bit high but you get paid for 4 out 5 years of residency.
-You have to take USMLE step I before you start on 7/1.
-Cleveland weather is a Biatchhh!!!!!!!

WOW, this is a great thread. Thanks for sharing!!

...Head and Neck Path: benign and malignant, ablative and recon. so far no free flaps, but it's coming soon, we do regional and local flaps.

Can you elaborate?

anyone with information about VCU/MCV, Maryland,and OHSU Programs? i've read some good ratings about both maryland and OHSU but nothing so far about vcu.

VCU or how it's referred to here in Richmond...MCV...is a solid program!

I interviewd all over the country and externed at Parkland, UofW and this is definitely one of the best programs in the country. It's an optional 6yr if you're crazy enough to get your MD at the end of your 48mo. Great place to live. Attendings are very well known. You operate a ton. Residents are cool. An awesome place to extern...you get to do a ton, they pay for your food and you pay a minimal fee for housing.

Cons: Not as many implants as I would like to do.

Pros: The program director tailors your chief year to your interests. If you want to learn a lot of plastics...you'll get to do a lot.
Great overall training...ton of trauma, plastics, tmj, dentoalveolar.

No cancer. If you want cancer this is not the program for you...ENT takes this area...that's a major pro for me.