OMFS residents who attended Colorado, Minnesota, or UIC for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cubelife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have searched the forum for some insight, but have yet to find any clear answers. I was wondering if any pre or current OMFS residents who have attended one of these dental schools is active on this forum. I would love to connect and gain some insight on how these schools helped paved the way to get accepted into an OMFS residency. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have searched the forum for some insight, but have yet to find any clear answers. I was wondering if any pre or current OMFS residents who have attended one of these dental schools is active on this forum. I would love to connect and gain some insight on how these schools helped paved the way to get accepted into an OMFS residency. Thanks in advance.
I didn’t attend those schools, but I want to tell you some things.

- The % of pre-dents who want to do OMFS that actually match is absurdly low. As far as I know, no one has written a paper about this (someone should, maybe I will). My guess would be something like 10% or less. Don’t pick a dental school for the 10% chance.

- Your chances of matching depends on YOU, not the school. You’re going to have to teach everything to yourself related to the admissions exam.

- You can match from any school.

Chose the school that sets you up in the best position to be a dentist (cheapest), and work your butt off. Wishing you well!

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you so much! I really needed this validation that it can be done from any school. People tend to make it out that you can only specialize from the Ivy schools. Like you said, I may end up just wanting to do general!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheapest school should really be your #1 deciding factor. I’ve never met anyone (yet) who has left dental school and thought “I wish I paid more for that.”

I realize I’m just repeating what others have said, but some Pre dents still don’t get it.

Reactions: 2 users
Not to be too redundant but I agree with what the other posters said; go to the most affordable school and focus on developing a strong skill set/application (grades, CBSE score, research, extracurricular activities, externships, etc.). Graduated from one of the schools you mentioned and four of my classmates matched into OMFS residency right out of dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize I’m just repeating what others have said, but some Pre dents still don’t get it.
20DE44A3-7147-4B48-A55E-54CE55AD5A9F.gif

Big Hoss

Ha, I think this is an interesting thread. Honestly, I don't really look at the SOD unless there is something specific that would lead me to. For example, If an applicant had an outrageously high CBSE I might look to see if it was form a certain SOD. But otherwise it doesn't really matter. As above, work hard, do well in school and make sure your SOD faculty know who you are.

Reactions: 1 users
The only caveat is, if you know youre definitely 100% in on OMFS and you know what it takes to accomplish it from day 1, I personally think that going to a program that has a home residency can be helpful. Being able to gain connections with residents and attendings is invaluable in my opinion. This brings tons of opportunity for research being offered to you by residents, or CBSE advice being passed down by those who did well, and general networking with attendings who can write a meaningful LOR. Can you still technically get these at every school? Sure. But I believe going to schools with home residencies just promotes this sense of teaching naturally and makes faculty and residents there more apt to giving you the time of day. Is this worth the extra price tag? Thats for you to decide, but in most cases probably not. That aside, as many have said before me, the actual name of the school I think carries much less weight than most pre-dents believe.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with the statement above to a point. A dental school without an OMS residency may put you at a slight "experience" disadvantage but I know folks that overcome that. It's always a very unique caveat to dental schools without specialty programs. As a student you get to do more procedures but less interesting procedures and the exposure the entire specialty is certainly limited. In the OS clinic of a "Creighton" type school you will pull teeth and do some biopsies and may assist in some other more complex office procedures. You will not have access to a full scope OMS clinic that manages TMJ, Large benign or malignant path, large volume orthognathic surgery, trauma, etc. But externships really help out with this if you can get them with the 'VID. There are exceptions of course, but those are exceptions.

As the OMS PD at Minnesota I can give you exact numbers of my students who have matched over the last few years. Up until the last few years students at struggled to match but for the last 3 years all that have applied have matched. That is a very misleading statistic in general as dental student classes vary so much from year to year. Some years the students who I think would succeed have no interest and some years there are students who are very interested but I know they will not make it. So who knows. Do your best, work hard and extern with us when you are 3rd year. Come see what our program offers.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the statement above to a point. A dental school without an OMS residency may put you at a slight "experience" disadvantage but I know folks that overcome that. It's always a very unique caveat to dental schools without specialty programs. As a student you get to do more procedures but less interesting procedures and the exposure the entire specialty is certainly limited. In the OS clinic of a "Creighton" type school you will pull teeth and do some biopsies and may assist in some other more complex office procedures. You will not have access to a full scope OMS clinic that manages TMJ, Large benign or malignant path, large volume orthognathic surgery, trauma, etc. But externships really help out with this if you can get them with the 'VID. There are exceptions of course, but those are exceptions.

As the OMS PD at Minnesota I can give you exact numbers of my students who have matched over the last few years. Up until the last few years students at struggled to match but for the last 3 years all that have applied have matched. That is a very misleading statistic in general as dental student classes vary so much from year to year. Some years the students who I think would succeed have no interest and some years there are students who are very interested but I know they will not make it. So who knows. Do your best, work hard and extern with us when you are 3rd year. Come see what our program offers.
From my acceptances, I’m planning on attending Creighton but being a ND resident, I’m really hoping to get into MN. Little early to be set on omfs but it definitely holds my interest! How far do students typically travel for externships or is that just dependent on the student?

You can definitely MATCH OMFS from any of those schools.

Having said that, going to an Ivy League or one of the established feeder schools can help quite a bit.

In your particular case where you’re just trying to leave the door open, an ivy league would be a waste of money.