omfs residents with low part-1 scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental mickey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi iam starting this new thread for people who are curious if they can get in to any program of OMFS with low board scores.I would like to know if there are any residents in omfs program with part-1 score less than 90.Any post in response to the question will be appreciable.It can be a psychological moral boost for people who have applied with low board scores to omfs programs.I request residents and people who knows of residents with low scores to respond to this.

Members don't see this ad.

hi iam starting this new thread for people who are curious if they can get in to any program of OMFS with low board scores.I would like to know if there are any residents in omfs program with part-1 score less than 90.Any post in response to the question will be appreciable.It can be a psychological moral boost for people who have applied with low board scores to omfs programs.I request residents and people who knows of residents with low scores to respond to this.

In terms of getting in straight out of D-School, my guess is there arent as many with "low" board scores. But I am sure of OMFS residents who have completed internship/gpr's who dont have spectacular scores. My scores are decent, not great, and am sure they will keep me out of many programs. I may have to do an internship to strenghten my app though.

In terms of getting in straight out of D-School, my guess is there arent as many with "low" board scores. But I am sure of OMFS residents who have completed internship/gpr's who dont have spectacular scores. My scores are decent, not great, and am sure they will keep me out of many programs. I may have to do an internship to strenghten my app though.

well i see that internship will put you in to a strong position even though you don't have great scores.good positive thinking.But are you willing to sacrifice a year for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i see that internship will put you in to a strong position even though you don't have great scores.good positive thinking.But are you willing to sacrifice a year for that.

If I dont get in initially, I dont have a choice. At that point it wont be sacrificing a year, it is what I will need to do.

Sacrificing a year?!?!?! That's a very small price to pay for being able to do what you like for the rest of your life. So you'll practice for 29 years instead of 30. Not to mention all the extra experience you'll get. People who think that a year of extra training in their chosen specialty is a "sacrifice" tend to be the ones who apply because "you never know....maybe I'll match."

By the way, if an interviewer asks you "what will you do if you don't match?" the correct answer is "I'll be sitting in this chair in front of you again next year." Wishy-washy is for periodontists.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The answer to that question it that you will do a 1 year OMFS internship and re-apply because there is nothing you want to do more than OMFS. Hopefully this is how you truly feel as an applicant. Saying that you might do a GPR, practice dentistry for a year or consider perio is pretty much interview suicide. People think that because a GPR is in a hospital it somehow helps ones application for OMFS. It's always better to do an intern year of OMFS instead of a year of dentistry if you are trying to get into an OMFS residency.

Sacrificing a year?!?!?! That's a very small price to pay for being able to do what you like for the rest of your life. So you'll practice for 29 years instead of 30. Not to mention all the extra experience you'll get. People who think that a year of extra training in their chosen specialty is a sacrifice tend to be the ones who apply because "you never know....maybe I'll match."

By the way, if an interviewer asks you "what will you do if you don't match?" the correct answer is "I'll be sitting in this chair in front of you again next year." Wishy-washy is for periodontists.

what i heard from many people is that most students finish dental schools acquiring student loans and once they are out of schools they tend to concentrate on financial matters so an year of earnings in america definitely means something.As for me i have finished 2 year oral surgery program and have been working in the maxillofacial dept from 1999 and presently iam trying to get in to a six year or a 4 year omfs program.I am unable to satisfy myself without doing a good strong omfs program.

Sacrificing a year?!?!?! That's a very small price to pay for being able to do what you like for the rest of your life. So you'll practice for 29 years instead of 30. Not to mention all the extra experience you'll get. People who think that a year of extra training in their chosen specialty is a "sacrifice" tend to be the ones who apply because "you never know....maybe I'll match."

My statement was pertained to people who have applied to multiple specialites when they apply and don't get it in one speciality then what do they do.Even iam going to be in the chair and definitely going to say the same answer becas i am committed to the profession i love(OMFS).Life is not sweet without any sacrifices.Sorry (IN MY CROSS HAIRS) BUDDY IF YOU GOT ME WRONG.

I am unable to satisfy myself without doing a good strong omfs program.

I'll give you a penthouse or a picture of toofache32........I'm sure you'll be able to satisfy yourself just fine. :smuggrin:

I'll give you a penthouse or a picture of toofache32........I'm sure you'll be able to satisfy yourself just fine. :smuggrin:

well dude money is part of life and i accept but i feel it isn't everything.If it is everything iam satisfied with the money iam presently making,but there is something else which every person in the world will be in search of(sound philosophical).For me probably it is to excel in the field of omfs.

I personally know a lot of current residents who had a 89 (not that this is low at all, but sub-90) on part 1 that have gotten in either the first time applying or after a year of internship.

Every single of these guys are solid/strong residents. :thumbup:

Although these dudes had a 89, but they made up in other credentials either ample externships, top class rankings, or has kicked @ss during their internships.

Now, when you say "low part 1 scores", do you mean low 80s? I do have an example that low 80s part 1 will keep you out the first time applying no matter how much extracurriculars you had or how great your class ranking is:

A 2004 Nova graduate in top 10% of his graduating class, extremely involved in leadership roles, and had done three solid externships, but he only had a 84 on Part 1! Not sure how many interviews he had earned, but did not match the first time around. He was one of those guys that were OMFS right from the get-go and everyone knew. Luckily for him, our Nova OMFS Chairman hooked him up with an one-year internship where I assumed he did well. He is now where he did his internship.

Now if any of you have a 88s or 89s, I believe with a solid "padding" of your CV (ie, great class ranking, solid externships at great programs, and get involved in leadership or research responsibilities), then you will have a chance (assuming that you have the personality). Those of you with 88s or 89s and nothing on your CV, I would go straight to applying for an one-year internship and work your @ss off.

Back to next Anesthesia case.....

I personally know a lot of current residents who had a 89 (not that this is low at all, but sub-90) on part 1 that have gotten in either the first time applying or after a year of internship.

Although these dudes had a 89, but they made up in other credentials either ample externships, top class rankings, or has kicked @ss during their internships.

Now, when you say "low part 1 scores", do you mean low 80s? I do have an example that low 80s part 1 will keep you out the first time applying no matter how much extracurriculars you had or how great your class ranking is:

A 2004 Nova graduate in top 10% of his graduating class, extremely involved in leadership roles, and had done three solid externships, but he only had a 84 on Part 1! Not sure how many interviews he had earned, but did not match the first time around. He was one of those guys that were OMFS right from the get-go and everyone knew. Luckily for him, our Nova OMFS Chairman hooked him up with an one-year internship where I assumed he did well. He is now where he did his internship.

Now if any of you have a 88s or 89s, I believe with a solid "padding" of your CV (ie, great class ranking, solid externships at great programs, and get involved in leadership or research responsibilities), then you will have a chance (assuming that you have the personality). Those of you with 88s or 89s and nothing on your CV, I would go straight to applying for an one-year internship and work your @ss off.

nice one yah-e i didn't mean low 80,s i meant between 85 and 90 percentile.thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you got a 91 or below, please do the profession a favor and pick something else. Too many of the peeps in that category don't pass Step 1 on their first try, and this makes the whole specialty look bad. Give me the person who works hard AND has some intelligence please.

If you got a 91 or below, please do the profession a favor and pick something else. Too many of the peeps in that category don't pass Step 1 on their first try, and this makes the whole specialty look bad. Give me the person who works hard AND has some intelligence please.

You have no need to worry this year, OMFS MASTER. UNLVDMD assures all of us through his "sheer observation" that OMFS will be more competitive this year. Yep. It's overtaken ortho as the #1 specialty. He can just sense it from the post-boards spike in OMFS-related threads at SDN that surg is back.

I know quiet lot of people who has got a GPA of 2.3( iam talking of international graduates ) and when they gave their part-1 they secured above 91 scores.I presume the minimal score in USMLE TO PASS is 75.I feel that any person with hard working nature can pass with that score unless your program demands more than 90.I think profession is successful with the hard working guys but not with people who think they are intelligent and lacking dedication(refer to iced omfs thread of Weak omfs residents)I can give you lot of examples who are hard working and intelligent probably your brain goes tired counting them.

I know quiet lot of people who has got a GPA of 2.3( iam talking of international graduates ) and when they gave their part-1 they secured above 91 scores.I presume the minimal score in USMLE TO PASS is 75.I feel that any person with hard working nature can pass with that score unless your program demands more than 90.I think profession is successful with the hard working guys but not with people who think they are intelligent and lacking dedication(refer to iced omfs thread of Weak omfs residents)I can give you lot of examples who are hard working and intelligent probably your brain goes tired counting them.

USMLE is a whole different ball of wax, dude. If you are going to a program that doesn't do second year of medical school, they want to guarantee you will pass step one of the USMLE. The best tool they have for assessing this is your part I dental board. If you have below a 90 you better look at 4 year programs, and probably ones that aren't that strong.

His sentiments may not be very positive, but at least he's being honest. I agree that a NDBE Part I score of 90 translates to a fail on USMLE Step I.

USMLE is a whole different ball of wax, dude. If you are going to a program that doesn't do second year of medical school, they want to guarantee you will pass step one of the USMLE. The best tool they have for assessing this is your part I dental board. If you have below a 90 you better look at 4 year programs, and probably ones that aren't that strong.

dude exceptions do exist and nothing can match hard work and even though if you are above average in intelligence.If ninety is mandatory there might be lot of people who might have retaken part-1 and got in to the 6 year program.Perhaps you are not an exception so please consider programs which suits you better obviously i know you love to take weak omfs programs if you are not going for omfs perhaps take community dentistry where you get to do water flouridation.could you please name me the weak omfs programs.

Gary "The Librarian" Ruska here,
Someone has actually studied this:

J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003 Jun;61(6):701-6.

Is there a correlation between performance on dental and medical board
examinations?

Miloro M, Petersen T, Stoner J.

Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical
Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to determine whether a correlation exists between passing the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 (USMLE) on the first attempt and performance on National Board Dental Examination Part I (NBDE). Materials and Methods: Questionnaires were sent to program directors of 52 dual-degree oral and maxillofacial surgery programs. The information requested concerned residents of each program from 1990 to 2000 and included NBDE scores and number of attempts each resident took to pass the USMLE Step 1. Also included was the number of years of medical school each program required, as well as time given to USMLE Step 1 study preparation. The data were
analyzed to determine if a relationship exists between NBDE Part I score and
pass rate on the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt. Data presented are the mean +/- SD. RESULTS: Questionnaires were received from 26 of 52 (50%) dual-degree oral and maxillofacial surgery programs regarding 426 residents. The overall average of NBDE Part 1 was 92.55 +/- 3.62 (range, 83 to 99). The average NBDE Part I score for those candidates who passed the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt was 93.75 +/- 3.02, and for those who did not pass the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt, it was 89.12 +/- 2.93. The average NBDE Part I score is significantly higher for those subjects who passed the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt (P <.001). A candidate with an NBDE Part I score of 95 to 99 is 75 times more likely to pass the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt than is a candidate with a score of less than 90. A marginal association was found with study preparation time and amount of medical school completed during residency. CONCLUSIONS: A significant correlation exists between NBDE Part I score and pass rate on the USMLE Step 1 examination.

dude exceptions do exist and nothing can match hard work and even though if you are above average in intelligence.If ninety is mandatory there might be lot of people who might have retaken part-1 and got in to the 6 year program.Perhaps you are not an exception so please consider programs which suits you better obviously i know you love to take weak omfs programs if you are not going for omfs perhaps take community dentistry where you get to do water flouridation.could you please name me the weak omfs programs.

Interestingly, I have had fellow residents who were very hard working, very diligent, gifted technically, compulsive and thorough (and they spoke perfect English :) ).... but they didn't have the native intelligence to pass boards...the program chair and department chair are quite resolved that there needs to be a minimum board score for residents. This really shouldn't be an issue though because there are plenty of candidates who are both hard working AND intelligent. It isn't like you have to pick between the two....

Dude, take it to the medical school admission committees. They don't want exceptions, they want statistically the best chance that their students won't fail part I of USMLE. You can find out which OMS programs are weak by asking your program director. I can tell you which ones are GOOD and you can go from there, but you really don't need me to tell you that. You can get it from reading this forum. I have applied to, and been accepted by, a well respected six year OMS residency so I know the drill. The USMLE is VERY difficult. If you get the chance to take it you will understand. Regardless, most reputable six years won't even look at your app unless you have above a 90 on boards specifically d/t the article that Gary Ruska so wonderfully provided for us.

A candidate with an NBDE Part I score of 95 to 99 is 75 times more likely to pass the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt than is a candidate with a score of less than 90.
:eek: 75 times!!!

:laugh:

Thanks ruska. You're a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge.

Gary "The Librarian" Ruska here,
Someone has actually studied this:

J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003 Jun;61(6):701-6.

Is there a correlation between performance on dental and medical board
examinations?

Miloro M, Petersen T, Stoner J.

Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical
Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to determine whether a correlation exists between passing the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 1 (USMLE) on the first attempt and performance on National Board Dental Examination Part I (NBDE). Materials and Methods: Questionnaires were sent to program directors of 52 dual-degree oral and maxillofacial surgery programs. The information requested concerned residents of each program from 1990 to 2000 and included NBDE scores and number of attempts each resident took to pass the USMLE Step 1. Also included was the number of years of medical school each program required, as well as time given to USMLE Step 1 study preparation. The data were
analyzed to determine if a relationship exists between NBDE Part I score and
pass rate on the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt. Data presented are the mean +/- SD. RESULTS: Questionnaires were received from 26 of 52 (50%) dual-degree oral and maxillofacial surgery programs regarding 426 residents. The overall average of NBDE Part 1 was 92.55 +/- 3.62 (range, 83 to 99). The average NBDE Part I score for those candidates who passed the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt was 93.75 +/- 3.02, and for those who did not pass the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt, it was 89.12 +/- 2.93. The average NBDE Part I score is significantly higher for those subjects who passed the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt (P <.001). A candidate with an NBDE Part I score of 95 to 99 is 75 times more likely to pass the USMLE Step 1 on the first attempt than is a candidate with a score of less than 90. A marginal association was found with study preparation time and amount of medical school completed during residency. CONCLUSIONS: A significant correlation exists between NBDE Part I score and pass rate on the USMLE Step 1 examination.

it's ironic that nebraska did this study because they recently had a lot of trouble with their residents passing step 1 which is why they switched to a 5 year program (there was one year when both the residents failed step 1 and were to be held back by)...or maybe they did this study right when this happened.

Dude, take it to the medical school admission committees. They don't want exceptions, they want statistically the best chance that their students won't fail part I of USMLE. You can find out which OMS programs are weak by asking your program director. I can tell you which ones are GOOD and you can go from there, but you really don't need me to tell you that. You can get it from reading this forum. I have applied to, and been accepted by, a well respected six year OMS residency so I know the drill. The USMLE is VERY difficult. If you get the chance to take it you will understand. Regardless, most reputable six years won't even look at your app unless you have above a 90 on boards specifically d/t the article that Gary Ruska so wonderfully provided for us.

Your statement is considerable.I am trying my best to get in to a good program.But still believe in my own view.As per to the article who knows nebraska might prove wrong even with their survey.Thanks for the info.I know the drill how selection of residents goes.What i believe is your selection does not entirely depend on scores.I believe there are other qualities and characters on which the selection depends.

Exceptions to every rule. But yes, I think you'll fail the first time out. Peas.

I'll second Super's vote. The pretest probability is too high. And if you do pass the second time it STILL reflects poorly on our specialty. It also reflects poorly on our specialty when we advertise things like 'hey, look at me, I got under 3.0 in undergrad because I didn't study and drank too much beer, and now I'm in med school'. Please, let it end! This makes people at large think the rest of us have scores as sorry as yours!

Your statement is considerable.I am trying my best to get in to a good program.But still believe in my own view.As per to the article who knows nebraska might prove wrong even with their survey.Thanks for the info.I know the drill how selection of residents goes.What i believe is your selection does not entirely depend on scores.I believe there are other qualities and characters on which the selection depends.

We want BOTH! Not just brains, not just work ethic/personality.

We want BOTH! Not just brains, not just work ethic/personality.

I think you guys are beating a dead horse, I don't think that will sink in any time soon.

I'll second Super's vote. The pretest probability is too high. And if you do pass the second time it STILL reflects poorly on our specialty. It also reflects poorly on our specialty when we advertise things like 'hey, look at me, I got under 3.0 in undergrad because I didn't study and drank too much beer, and now I'm in med school'. Please, let it end! This makes people at large think the rest of us have scores as sorry as yours!

What's wrong with drinking beer and getting bad grades? I am a MS3 right now. I put in maybe half as much effort as the other med students and I party twice as much, yet I still stay average...........definitely a lot better than some ppl in my class who try damn hard to study and get their acts together.

By the way..........I am also an under 3.0 member.

By the way..........I am also an under 3.0 member.

Now he's out of the closet. Dude, I knew we had something in common! :laugh:

Great job on NBDE Part 1 and USMLE Step 1, way to represent!

Now he's out of the closet. Dude, I knew we had something in common! :laugh:

Great job on NBDE Part 1 and USMLE Step 1, way to represent!

I was never hiding that. I posted it several times over random threads. :thumbup:

Great thread, eh? Reading the last several posts makes me remember some of the putzes in dental school. And some of them advanced into surgery. I can relate to OMFS Master. The complete package is what everyone is after. In surg, you can actually hurt someone badly if you don't have your wits about you. Intelligence does matter. In ortho, the stakes are much lower in that respect. Yet, I have been frustrated the last few years as some students get the legacy (dad-did-ortho-hear or got-to-know-the-director-well) spots over those who are otherwise much better prepared and credentialed.

Oops, looks like you lack the personality part! :thumbdown:

Anybody who has over three thousand posts showcasing every detail of their mediocrity and how they have managed to weasel their way into something they don't really deserve has a personality disorder. You end up looking like an idiot and it reflects poorly on your colleagues and the profession. Use some restraint and your brain occasionally. :idea:

Yah-E has worked really hard and he inspires people to not give up even when others like u tell him that he's just mediocre. I don't agree that he's mediocre, but even mediocre people can become great surgeons and do bigger and better things than those who see themselves as high and mighty. I believe that those who struggle to get where they are not only appreciate it more but also make the most of it and give it their best. That's definitely got to count for something.

Yah-E has worked really hard and he inspires people to not give up even when others like u tell him that he's just mediocre. I don't agree that he's mediocre, but even mediocre people can become great surgeons and do bigger and better things than those who see themselves as high and mighty. I believe that those who struggle to get where they are not only appreciate it more but also make the most of it and give it their best. That's definitely got to count for something.

There's a difference between being mediocre and eventually succeeding vs. being mediocre and showcasing it for the whole world to see. If the public gets that as their first introduction to the specialty they may start to think its the norm, which thankfully its not. When the specialty is trying to establish itself among fields of all types in the competitive market we have, you don't want to give the opposition another bullet in their gun. I can already see the next California press release headline: "Dentists Slip Into Medical School through Backdoor with 2.7 GPA's to do Cosmetic Surgery."

Mediocrity is O.K. when you try hard and succeed. There's just tasteful and distasteful ways to show it.

Well said, OMFS Master. Yah-E and Doggie, please look up and study the following word: p-u-t-z. Putz. So many of its definitions apply to the *****ic way you two scribbled out your thoughts on this thread. But here's my favorite: A putz is a numbnuts who hasn't a clue that s/he is so so so very dumb or clueless.

Your casual way of glorifying underachievment that still leads to "success" is regrettable. You set the bar low for other OMFS hopefuls, in my opinion.

Well said, OMFS Master. Yah-E and Doggie, please look up and study the following word: p-u-t-z. Putz. So many of its definitions apply to the *****ic way you two scribbled out your thoughts on this thread. But here's my favorite: A putz is a numbnuts who hasn't a clue that s/he is so so so very dumb or clueless.

Your casual way of glorifying underachievment that still leads to "success" is regrettable. You set the bar low for other OMFS hopefuls, in my opinion.

Let's not forget about Yah-E extracting the wrong tooth and his driving under the influence...Talk about having the whole package!

ouch, this thread is really getting personal!
:laugh:

Doggie scored a 98 on Part I. How is that mediocre?

Please refrain from the personal insults.

AND I got below 3.0 in undergrad......:thumbup: Take that biotches.......:laugh:

Let's see who the putz is when you interview at my program.........if you ever get one at all.....:laugh:

You aren't going to see my application, Doggie Boy. I went through that process a while back.

I think it's great you scored a 98 on Part I. Nothing mediocre about that. You must have busted your buns! I want the surgeon(s) I work w/ to be excellent.

I didn't bring up the mediocre comment. My post expressed my irritation when people boast of underachievement that still led to relative success. I'm not sure that correctly inspires the future of OMFS or any other group. But I doubt your goal is inspiration of youth.

Knowing what intellectual capacity you possess, we all realize much of this thread is not about you. You should have no trouble passing Step I, if you haven't already done so. Others (mostly OMFS people--your closest colleagues) made it clear that they wish the rest of the applicants would follow your sterling example and take care of biz. It makes them look better in the eyes of the public and medical colleagues when you're scrutinized closely.

You aren't going to see my application, Doggie Boy. I went through that process a while back.

I think it's great you scored a 98 on Part I. Nothing mediocre about that. You must have busted your buns! I want the surgeon(s) I work w/ to be excellent.

I didn't bring up the mediocre comment. My post expressed my irritation when people boast of underachievement that still led to relative success. I'm not sure that correctly inspires the future of OMFS or any other group. But I doubt your goal is inspiration of youth.

Knowing what intellectual capacity you possess, we all realize much of this thread is not about you. You should have no trouble passing Step I, if you haven't already done so. Others (mostly OMFS people--your closest colleagues) made it clear that they wish the rest of the applicants would follow your sterling example and take care of biz. It makes them look better in the eyes of the public and medical colleagues when you're scrutinized closely.

Nah....just chose not to study in college and partied like all the other typical putz. I would much rather work with someone who is well-rounded and have a personality than work with someone who knows nothing else about life besides OMFS.

My goal here on the thread is to bring the reality of things into perspective. No one is perfect.......not even the douche bag in you high school that scored 1600 on his SAT's. Take a look at the name of this thread..."OMFS residens with low part-1 scores." It brings hope to putz who screwed up in high school, college, or dental school who have a true desire to go into OMFS. A lot of people who apply to specialities only apply because they "have the grades to do so." Those people to me are the true PUTZ because they are entering a profession for the wrong reasons.

My other goal on the thread is to be a professional jackass. Just look at my title. :thumbup: