OMFS specific under residency or dental residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyBigSteps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:We need to have a specific forum for OMFS specifically. It would be a heck of a lot easier. I don't know why all the dental stuff isnt seperated? What do you guys think? I check this site out quite a bit and the thing that annoys me the most is sorting through to see what is OMFS related and what is not.:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Bump guys/gals what do you think. Trying to find the OMFS stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good! It sure would be a heck of a lot better for us OMFS guys.
Thanks

It would make it a lot easier for everyone!
-The medical forum has their specialties broken up and it is much easier to navigate.

It would make it a lot easier for everyone!
-The medical forum has their specialties broken up and it is much easier to navigate.

Medical specialties have little to do with each other. A neurosurgeon doesn't do gyno exams. A general dentist, however, does do extractions. The dental specialties are related and are really smaller subsections of an overall medical specialty, which is dentistry.

We are currently evaluating a better way to organize things, and appreciate your comments and suggestions!

Medical specialties have little to do with each other. A neurosurgeon doesn't do gyno exams. A general dentist, however, does do extractions. The dental specialties are related and are really smaller subsections of an overall medical specialty, which is dentistry.

I think everyone realizes this. However, the majority of posts pertain to a specific area. Even if a generalist was looking for information it would be easier if the threads were sorted by specialty.

Thanks for taking this into consideration! I know there is a lot of work involved.

Last edited:
I agree. Specialty specific sections are long overdue.

I also think it is a very good idea to have a seperate forum for OMFS. I hope this gets done soon, it'll make things alot more efficient. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
While OMFS overlaps gen dent in some areas, most of the topics discussed by OMFS on this site have nothing to do with the scope of general dentistry. When was the last time an oral surgery resident posted about how to ext #3? Most omfs residents are talking about trauma, anesthesia, and facial cosmetic procedures which are outside most gen dents scope. I think a separate forum would be great and would still be accessible by all.

Just to dissent, I like having all the residency threads in one place. I scan through them easily and even read them from time to time. Obviously I read more of the ortho ones than the others, but I read more random threads in the Residency forum than I do in say the Pre-dent forum because I learn more from them even if they aren't about ortho. I may never do a free flap or give botox, but I may read the thread on it to learn more about surgeons doing them and what kinds of patients benefit. If we separate out by specialty, I can't find myself having the patience to click through so many separate forums (like on the MD Residency Boards) and forums like Public Health would get almost no love.

Granted I am not a resident, and still have a ways to go but...

Are there really enough OFMS posts necessitating a separate forum?

Looking at the first 50 threads (first page) of the residency forum, I see threads that date back over two weeks. It’s not like all the OFMS threads are getting lost in the crowd and being buried by threads from all the other specialties. (Unlike some of the more active forums that get 50+ new threads each day.)

Just to dissent, I like having all the residency threads in one place. I scan through them easily and even read them from time to time. Obviously I read more of the ortho ones than the others, but I read more random threads in the Residency forum than I do in say the Pre-dent forum because I learn more from them even if they aren't about ortho. I may never do a free flap or give botox, but I may read the thread on it to learn more about surgeons doing them and what kinds of patients benefit. If we separate out by specialty, I can't find myself having the patience to click through so many separate forums (like on the MD Residency Boards) and forums like Public Health would get almost no love.

Granted I am not a resident, and still have a ways to go but...

Are there really enough OFMS posts necessitating a separate forum?

Looking at the first 50 threads (first page) of the residency forum, I see threads that date back over two weeks. It’s not like all the OFMS threads are getting lost in the crowd and being buried by threads from all the other specialties. (Unlike some of the more active forums that get 50+ new threads each day.)
The other posts in this thread have made the arguments in favor of a separate OMFS forum, but these two do a good job of summarizing possible reasons not to. The matter is still under discussion among the staff. We want to do what's best for our forum members, so that principle will be guiding our decision. Thanks for your patience as we continue to hash this out.

Good input. I had not seen it from your perspective. That's probably because I've never had the urge to even look at any of the other specialty threads. So sifting through the threads to find the OMFS ones is a pain for me. Good point though.

I don't think we need nine more forums for each of the dental specialties, but a seperate one for the major ones would be helpful. When was the last time someone posted on here on how to get into that coveted public health program?

If it does happen, make it the ones that most people post about: pedo, ortho, endo, OS, and one for the surgeons: perio.

The point for me is I really don't care about the other speciality topics. Other specialities might care about OMFS topics, but I don't want to have to read/look for topics specific to OMFS. There might not be enough OMFS topics but all the more reason because those of us who want to speak to other OMFS guys will have an easy time finding them and getting their prospectives. The reason I am not on here more chatting with topics/questions is because I HATE scrolling through the topics to find the ones I care about. OMFS is so different from the other specialities, and I can't stress that enough.

I have no idea how forum design works, but is there a way to add an extra column to the main page that would sort the topics? Every time a new topic is started, the original poster would have to pick which specialty the topic goes under (either the 9 specialties, AEGD/GPR, or general questions). This way the topics all remain in the order posted/replied to on the main Dental Residency page. When BobbyBigsteps gets to the Dental Residency page, he just has to click on "sort by OMS" at the top of the column and all the OMS ones appear at the top of the list just like you can sort the other columns by # of replies, date, etc.

I have no idea how forum design works, but is there a way to add an extra column to the main page that would sort the topics? Every time a new topic is started, the original poster would have to pick which specialty the topic goes under (either the 9 specialties, AEGD/GPR, or general questions). This way the topics all remain in the order posted/replied to on the main Dental Residency page. When BobbyBigsteps gets to the Dental Residency page, he just has to click on "sort by OMS" at the top of the column and all the OMS ones appear at the top of the list just like you can sort the other columns by # of replies, date, etc.

Were that an option, each new thread starter would have to select the category into which their post would fall.

Were that an option, each new thread starter would have to select the category into which their post would fall.

Yeah I tried to mention that in my post. Each new thread starter already has to fill in a number of necessary items before the thread is allowed to be posted, so having to picking a subcategory for sorting purposes in the Dental Residency forum doesn't seem like too much "extra work" the thread started has to do.

Yeah I tried to mention that in my post. Each new thread starter already has to fill in a number of necessary items before the thread is allowed to be posted, so having to picking a subcategory for sorting purposes in the Dental Residency forum doesn't seem like too much "extra work" the thread started has to do.

Ah I see it now, making a bad example of reading the post thoroughly before posting.