OMFS Stats and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBDENT2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys tis the season for interviews...so I just thought I'd start a new thread because I'm sure most of us are curious about the kind of stats that get you interviews these days, so if you're not too bashful feel free to post! I'll even start it off...

NBDE Part I Score:
Dental School:
Class Rank/Dental School GPA:
Extracurriculars:
Undergrad GPA:
Externships:
4 or 6 year Program:
# of Programs Applied to:
Interviews:

NBDE Part I Score: 95
Dental School: University at Buffalo
Class Rank/Dental School GPA: unknown/3.5
Extracurriculars: research
Externships: 1 Houston
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
4 or 6 year Program: 6 year
#of Programs Applied to: 15
Interviews: 2, UAB, LSU-S

Members don't see this ad.

It might be helpful to know how many weeks each applicant spent in externships. Are we posting after we've heard from all the programs or just nilly-willy?

Hmm I guess the way I did it was willy nilly b/c whenever i get an interview I try to post just to let everyone know who is sending out interviews at the time. My intention (because there were interviews coming from places that I applied to but didnt get an invitation for) was to try to let us and subsequent OS hopefuls guage what kind of stats programs are looking for just to give out an invitation. So my vote is for willy nilly, although it does seem counter productive as you pointed out, Yahtzee. Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
You could just post your stats once than come back and edit the original post when you get additional interviews. Then once the season is over it wouldn't be hard to compile them.

Hmm I guess the way I did it was willy nilly b/c whenever i get an interview I try to post just to let everyone know who is sending out interviews at the time. My intention (because there were interviews coming from places that I applied to but didnt get an invitation for) was to try to let us and subsequent OS hopefuls guage what kind of stats programs are looking for just to give out an invitation. So my vote is for willy nilly, although it does seem counter productive as you pointed out, Yahtzee. Hope that helps
Sounds like fun. Here's my willy nilly...

NBDE Part I Score: 94
Dental School: UOP
Class Rank/Dental School GPA: 1/140, 3.9
Extracurriculars: little research, tutor, spiritual advisor to brycethefatty
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Externships: 2 (5 weeks). Mayo, Highland/UOP
4 or 6 year Program: applied to both
# of Programs Applied to: 21
Interviews: UOP, Parkland, Jacksonville. Fingers crossed for a few more.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I post my stats on this thread.

By the way Yatzee, there are 139 kids in our class, NOT 140. Geez. Talk about lying to inflate one's stats.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I post my stats on this thread.

By the way Yatzee, there are 139 kids in our class, NOT 140. Geez. Talk about lying to inflate one's stats.
Holy cow! You caught me. Boy, is my face red.

where did you not get an interview ubdentist? I was really hoping for UAB and LSU-S but no go it seems.

I had a 91 on pt 1, Top 20% w/ 3.76 d school GPA, 4.0 ugrad GPA.

Interviews so far at : Kentucky, Case, Emory, Parkland, UMKC, Jax, LSU-NO, Louisville

Applied to 22 6yr programs.

Externed Parkland, Vanderbilt, UNC

So far servitup I didn't get an interview at Parkland or Emory :( that's why I started this thread.I was talking to kids in my class it just.seems so random....

You people should be a little more modest and quit showing your willy to everyone.

Toof - Do you know where you will be next year for those of us who may want to be beaten, I mean, mentored under your watchful eye!:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
It definitely is random sometimes. I have talked to a lot of residents and it is always interesting to hear about how they did get interviews at some places and not at others. Sometimes they get rejected from places that have much lower reputations than the places they get accepted for interviews. That's why I applied to so many programs. I am hoping to go on enough interviews that I am more worried about WHERE I match than IF i match.

how do you like michigan program compared to dierks in oregon?

Sounds like fun. Here's my willy nilly...

NBDE Part I Score: 94
Class Rank/Dental School GPA: 1/140, 3.9
Extracurriculars: little research, tutor, spiritual advisor to brycethefatty
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Externships: 2 (5 weeks). Mayo, Highland/UOP
4 or 6 year Program: applied to both
# of Programs Applied to: 21
Interviews: UOP, Parkland, Jacksonville. Fingers crossed for a few more.

If you saw Yahtzee you'd never imagine his willy nilly was so big. Midwest blood though.

So what kind of UGrad GPA would hold you back? I'm in line with the GPA of most MD applicants so I would think that is good enough.

i heard some places require like a 3.5 ugrad GPA but I don't know for sure.

how do you like michigan program compared to dierks in oregon?

The 2 programs are very different. Dierks only wants you there to operate and manage the ICU patients. You don't get to see them in clinic to follow them up after surgery, or to work them up before surgery. It's mainly operative experience. Also, he does not incorporate free flaps into the training. Michigan is more "academic" in that you rotate through skull base, derm/mohs, pathology, etc. Michigan also integrates microvascular training into the program. It's also very "family-friendly" which I am ready for at this point. I think it is the best fit for me. If Dierks offered microvascular training, I would have considered it more strongly.

Congrats on fellowship Toof!! How would you compare the Michigan fellowship to UCSF and Maryland?

Plus, i'm also applying to UCSF/Oregon, do you think having fellows around interferes with the residents cancer experience?

Also, at your fellowship program do you manage the cancer patients post-op or do you delegate that to the interns?

Congrats on fellowship Toof!! How would you compare the Michigan fellowship to UCSF and Maryland?

Plus, i'm also applying to UCSF/Oregon, do you think having fellows around interferes with the residents cancer experience?

Also, at your fellowship program do you manage the cancer patients post-op or do you delegate that to the interns?

OK, I'll hijack this one more time. I didn't apply to the UCSF fellowship because I saw their case log and they just weren't busy enough for me. Again, someone else (probably plastics) does their flaps. Maryland is a good program in terms of training, I have talked to or know 4 prior fellows. But Ord is tough on his guys, which is tough to stomach for 2 more years after being yelled at already for 6 years. Also, he has already chosen his fellows for the next 2-3 years, supposedly. Having a fellow definately takes away from the resident experience, but most residents consider that a good thing.

The 2 programs are very different. Dierks only wants you there to operate and manage the ICU patients. You don't get to see them in clinic to follow them up after surgery, or to work them up before surgery. It's mainly operative experience. Also, he does not incorporate free flaps into the training. Michigan is more "academic" in that you rotate through skull base, derm/mohs, pathology, etc. Michigan also integrates microvascular training into the program. It's also very "family-friendly" which I am ready for at this point. I think it is the best fit for me. If Dierks offered microvascular training, I would have considered it more strongly.

Thats good to know. Because I am also considering doing head and neck fellowship. Is michigan a pretty benign program? Also, are you getting funded by OMSF? Don't they have minimum 2-3 yrs of academic commitment per yr of funding?

Toof...is your current residency program more of an oncology based program, or more of a down south trauma machine? The reason that I ask is that do you recommend programs like Michigan, Oregon, Maryland for fellowship rather than residency?

Also, do you know if Knoxville, LSU, or any other programs have cancer fellowships?

Toof...is your current residency program more of an oncology based program, or more of a down south trauma machine? The reason that I ask is that do you recommend programs like Michigan, Oregon, Maryland for fellowship rather than residency?

Also, do you know if Knoxville, LSU, or any other programs have cancer fellowships?

There is very little oncology at my program. Even the places that do more cancer will not likely prepare you to do it without a fellowship, with possible exceptions being Shreveport and Oregon. They have both had residents go out and do oncology without a fellowship. The cancer fellowships are Oregon, UCSF, Michigan, Maryland, Jacksonville, Shreveport, and Knoxville. Miami has a "tumor" fellowship, but I think it's more of an ameloblastoma/mandiublectomy fellowship....very few neck dissections.

Thats good to know. Because I am also considering doing head and neck fellowship. Is michigan a pretty benign program? Also, are you getting funded by OMSF? Don't they have minimum 2-3 yrs of academic commitment per yr of funding?

I'm not funded by OMSF. Michigan had secured their own funding through the GME office at the university. But, yes, if you are funded by OMSF then you have to give 2-3 years in an academic practice after your fellowship. That's not a big deal since most oncology guys go into academics regardless. I don't know much about the residency at Michigan, but I don't think it's "benign" based on what others have said. There's 1-2 Michigan residents that hover around this board sometimes and could tell you more.

I don't know much about the residency at Michigan, but I don't think it's "benign" based on what others have said. There's 1-2 Michigan residents that hover around this board sometimes and could tell you more.

Actually, I consider Michigan pretty benign. A few people started talking about Michigan being malignant a few years ago and somehow that image remains on SDN. But I have yet to see an attending yell or get really mad at a resident. All the attendings are pretty down to earth and approachable if you ask me. They do, however, put a lot of pressure on us academically, but not in a "malignant" way by any means.

hey Toof, good to have you join us...see you next year.

Actually, I consider Michigan pretty benign. A few people started talking about Michigan being malignant a few years ago and somehow that image remains on SDN. But I have yet to see an attending yell or get really mad at a resident. All the attendings are pretty down to earth and approachable if you ask me. They do, however, put a lot of pressure on us academically, but not in a "malignant" way by any means.

hey Toof, good to have you join us...see you next year.

I'm glad to hear that. I can't wait to get there.

It turned out to be a cold day in hell:

NBDE Part I Score: 93
Class Rank/Dental School GPA: 20/139
Extracurriculars: research (to be published), tutor, table clinics X2
Undergrad GPA: 3.18
Externships: 3: Carle(2 wks), MetroHealth (2 wks), Highland/UOP (3 wks)
4 or 6 year Program: applied to mostly 4 year, some 6 year
# of Programs Applied to: 42
Interviews: Indiana, Tennessee (Memphis), Kentucky

It turned out to be a cold day in hell:

NBDE Part I Score: 93
Class Rank/Dental School GPA: 20/139
Extracurriculars: research (to be published), tutor, table clinics X2
Undergrad GPA: 3.18
Externships: 3: Carle(2 wks), MetroHealth (2 wks), Highland/UOP (3 wks)
4 or 6 year Program: applied to mostly 4 year, some 6 year
# of Programs Applied to: 42
Interviews: Indiana, Tennessee (Memphis), Kentucky

How much did that set you back when all was said and done?

i started to apply to 41 myself. glad i didn't now.