omfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbllplya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do most oral surgeons in the real world do? I know of oral surgeons saying that they are stuck pulling 3rd, since most of the other more intensitive maxillofacial surgeries (eg TMJ/othoganatic) are performed by surgeons in the medical field. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I beg to differ here.In most cases where the omfs goes into office based practise ,they do end up pulling 3rd.Nevertheless,I do know atleast one person who makes over 900 grand doing this.So ,he doesnt care.Those who decide to work in the hospitals are not as handsomely paid as pvt practise but get to do lot more.Again ,there is a clash with ENT and head nad neck surgeons and they do consider DDS as just dentists.Ii guess, that is where the MD helps.I happened to ave a discussion about having an MD to a head n neck surgeon and his response was something like this,"2 yrs med school does not mean anything more than MD and omfs training.Me personally ,if I could pull teeth and make 900 grand ,gee ,I can do that all day along .I could care less about what someone thinks about my profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
bbllplya said:
What do most oral surgeons in the real world do? I know of oral surgeons saying that they are stuck pulling 3rd, since most of the other more intensitive maxillofacial surgeries (eg TMJ/othoganatic) are performed by surgeons in the medical field. Is this true?

M3 extraction is the bread and butter of OMS. I know a guy who just does implants. And there's another guy who just does orthognathic. They're all single degree OMS. I was told by an OMS faculty that the MD is useful if you want to do facial plastics in California (or another state limiting practice) or you want to become involved in the higher levels of a hospital.

Again ,there is a clash with ENT and head nad neck surgeons and they do consider DDS as just dentists.Ii guess, that is where the MD helps.

My understanding is ENTs work posterior to the pterygomandibular raphe. ENTs are not trained to "deal" with teeth and occlusion.

The head of OMFS at UConn "only" has a DMD. He does orthognathics all the time. It's the "content" of the residency program and the individual surgeons comfort level that determines the scope of practice in OMFS.

The MD is good if you want to stay on another year and get a general surgery certificate or expand your practice outside of OMFS. But the lack of this certificate does not hinder the surgeons who are properly trained and only have a DMD/DDS degree.

What's not necessarily true is the idea that DMD/MD automatically do more than just DMD/DDS.

You mentioned TMJ & Orthognathics done by other surgeons "in the medical field". I don't know of any non-oral surgeons who are trained in this. There are a handfull of plastic surgeons who have done craniofacial fellowships that dabble in orthognathics, but this is predominantly an oral surgery procedure.

Most of these "bigger" surgeries aren't done much because reimbursement is so low. Where I went to dental school, a single-jaw orthognathic case was paid $800 and a double-jaw was $1200. That's ridiculous for the amount of pre-op planning and time that goes into the surgery. Not to mention all the post-op care. Most oral surgeons would rather make the exact same money by doing a 30-minute set of 3rd molars. Extractions also have much lower morbidity and less severe risks/complications. Also, you can do it in your office and don't have to share with a hospital.

I agree with all of you.I ma yet to come across a omfs with or without MD who could make it into a medical fellowship,principally plastics.Infact check out this website safeplasticsurgery.org.
I do agree when an MD questions your surgical skills as most of the time your specialty deals only oral cavity and TMJ.Comfort levels of a surgeon is an issue,but most of the time oral surgeons in pvt practise prefer to do only small procedures coz 'if by any chance they get sued they can defend themselves.If you are sued for a radical neck dissection ,even with an MD the Omfs will be in hot water.It all comes down to economics as some above mentioned .The more riskier the procedure more the insurance.
I always wondered about people going to an oral surgeon for iv sedation.Incase ,the patient codes on his chair ,office doesnt even have a backup MD,or specifically an anesthesiologist.When I am ready to get my 3rd pulled out I am going to a hospital where there is a back up when I am sedated .All this because ,one of my patients coded and I could see the omfs faculty pissin in their pants coz they did not have an anesthesiologist .I guess lot of things are deduced out of personal experiences.

BBGUN said:
I agree with all of you.I ma yet to come across a omfs with or without MD who could make it into a medical fellowship,principally plastics.Infact check out this website safeplasticsurgery.org.
I do agree when an MD questions your surgical skills as most of the time your specialty deals only oral cavity and TMJ.Comfort levels of a surgeon is an issue,but most of the time oral surgeons in pvt practise prefer to do only small procedures coz 'if by any chance they get sued they can defend themselves.If you are sued for a radical neck dissection ,even with an MD the Omfs will be in hot water.It all comes down to economics as some above mentioned .The more riskier the procedure more the insurance.
I always wondered about people going to an oral surgeon for iv sedation.Incase ,the patient codes on his chair ,office doesnt even have a backup MD,or specifically an anesthesiologist.When I am ready to get my 3rd pulled out I am going to a hospital where there is a back up when I am sedated .All this because ,one of my patients coded and I could see the omfs faculty pissin in their pants coz they did not have an anesthesiologist .I guess lot of things are deduced out of personal experiences.
Huh? You have no idea what you're talking about, and you have no clue as to the training required of an oral & maxillofacial surgeon in the US. You can start by going here to get a clue: http://www.aaoms.org/media_relation.cfm#

Last time I checked I went to school over here and ,did GPR going on 2nd yr .Maybe ,even omfs if I ever get a chance.So ,I might just happen to know few things as much as you or maybe even better.Oh,forgot to tell you ,I went to Harvard.

This is straight out of the website you asked me to check .Please do read towards the conclusion and I do not want to get in to any arguments with anybody here.
"Definition of Dentistry
Dentistry is defined as the evaluation, diagnosis, prevention and/or treatment (nonsurgical, surgical or related procedures) of diseases, disorders and/or conditions of the oral cavity, maxillofacial area and/or the adjacent and associated structures and their impact on the human body; provided by a dentist, within the scope of his/her education, training and experience, in accordance with the ethics of the profession and applicable law"

BBGUN said:
This is straight out of the website you asked me to check .Please do read towards the conclusion and I do not want to get in to any arguments with anybody here.
"Definition of Dentistry
Dentistry is defined as the evaluation, diagnosis, prevention and/or treatment (nonsurgical, surgical or related procedures) of diseases, disorders and/or conditions of the oral cavity, maxillofacial area and/or the adjacent and associated structures and their impact on the human body; provided by a dentist, within the scope of his/her education, training and experience, in accordance with the ethics of the profession and applicable law"
You'll have to explain what you're pointing out here...I guess I didn't go to Hahvad.

BBGUN said:
If you are sued for a radical neck dissection ,even with an MD the Omfs will be in hot water.It all comes down to economics as some above mentioned ..

Dude, you are cracking me up, keep talking.

BBGUN said:
I always wondered about people going to an oral surgeon for iv sedation.Incase ,the patient codes on his chair ,office doesnt even have a backup MD,or specifically an anesthesiologist.When I am ready to get my 3rd pulled out I am going to a hospital where there is a back up when I am sedated ..

You go dog...that hospital sedation will cost you fortunes!!!

Backup MD, what for, so he can get the coffee for you?

BBGUN said:
All this because ,one of my patients coded and I could see the omfs faculty pissin in their pants coz they did not have an anesthesiologist .I guess lot of things are deduced out of personal experiences.

Broken english, omfs pissin pants because a pt. is coding....what 3rd world country was this taking place?

Members don't see this ad :)
BBGUN said:
Oh,forgot to tell you ,I went to Harvard.

The funniest part is....you think that impresses us!

So you know how to read a journal article now....

BBGUN said:
within the scope of his/her education, training and experience, in accordance with the ethics of the profession and applicable law"

Yup, no arguments. We get trained to do radical necks, so where is the problem here?

BBGUN said:
Last time I checked I went to school over here and ,did GPR going on 2nd yr .Maybe ,even omfs if I ever get a chance.So ,I might just happen to know few things as much as you or maybe even better.Oh,forgot to tell you ,I went to Harvard.
Harvard obviously has very stringent entrance requirements such as spelling and grammar.

Can someone please translate??? I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and so I assume it's just me who's having a hard time understanding what's being said. I speak english and want to know if there is someone here who speaks......well whatever BBGUN speaks.

Maybe it's because I didn't go to Harvard???

An update on my confusion. I tried to use the google.com translation page but it was a no go :confused: It won't translate Klingon to English.

Dude, it is the fact that everything is done in broken english! It just makes your comments that much sweeter.

I ma yet to come across a omfs with or without MD who could make it into a medical fellowship,principally plastics

I've got it!!!!!!! He speaks Cajun!

BBGUN said:

Man, they have some weird grammar over there at Harvard. Since when did the comma follow a space, and then not get a space after the comma (see how I did that...pretty tricky, huh?) I feel bad for the Hardvard students and grads out there. I mean, do they really want this grammatically challenged individual representing them? I hope not.

Alright, BBGun is upset. He PM'd me just to let me know I suck. I take it all back. Everything was perfectly intelligible and I was being a mean person. I'll be a good boy now :D

I got a PM too, but it didn't really make any more sense. I'm not sure why he's hiding now. Maybe you guys can help decipher:

"I can feel every pore in your body oozing jealousiness.It is human to be like that,and american board of oral an maxillofacial surgeons is the parent body.Dint feel like putting it out in the open ,thus demeaning your intelligence.
And ,if you dont know where harvard is,this might just realate to your life"Little knowledge is dangerous".
Sorry,if I sound arrogant .Have to step up and be like that in this worl d.You know what I am talking about.But,I retreat and will give you the benefit of being unwise."
--BBGUN

BBGun is also upset that I "stooped down" and referred to him/her as a male without knowing his/her gender. I wholeheartedly apologize for my assumptions about BBGuns gender.

BBGUN said:

Bro...and let me comment...it seems obvious why you did a GPR....because you don't know anything about either dentistry or OMFS

I also apoligize to any Cajun board members as I now know that the word "Cajun" is a noun describing a large community of people in southern Louisiana originally of French Canadian origin and not a language.

Guys,I just joined the forum and came right into a warzone.
Do not be this unprofessional,people.Let go.I am not taking any sides here,so do not roll all over me.It really pays to listen to what others have to say.Sometimes,thats how we learn new things.Maybe,the moderator needs to inttervene.
Can any oral surgeon(or would be) here explain to me the scope of oral surgery other than pulling 3rds in a private practise?I do understand that training includes many things ,but what about the real world?All of you ,how the dental school training is.I mean though they teach us a lot ,there is always areas where they do not educate us with anything.I did an externship and realised how little they trained us for managing medical emergencies.
Any kind of input will be appreciated.

I told ya,you did learn something new. :)

UConn_SDM said:
I also apoligize to any Cajun board members as I now know that the word "Cajun" is a noun describing a large community of people in southern Louisiana originally of French Canadian origin and not a language.

Dentist1 said:
Guys,I just joined the forum and came right into a warzone.
Do not be this unprofessional,people.Let go.I am not taking any sides here,so do not roll all over me.It really pays to listen to what others have to say.Sometimes,thats how we learn new things.Maybe,the moderator needs to inttervene.
Can any oral surgeon(or would be) here explain to me the scope of oral surgery other than pulling 3rds in a private practise?I do understand that training includes many things ,but what about the real world?All of you ,how the dental school training is.I mean though they teach us a lot ,there is always areas where they do not educate us with anything.I did an externship and realised how little they trained us for managing medical emergencies.
Any kind of input will be appreciated.

Did you go to Harvard too? Or do you just coincedentally have the same grammatical style as our friend?

gbdental said:
Did you go to Harvard to? Or do you just coincedentally have the same grammatical style as our friend?

I'm ready to urinate in my pants! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I dont get your point.

I dont get your point.

Just when I thought today would be boring..

I do not get your point.What grammatical style are you talking about?
How about helping me out with my question.You can vent your anger at the other cat,why me?

do not get your point.What grammatical style are you talking about?
How about helping me out with my question.You can vent your anger at the other cat,why me?

Why are you picking on me? GBDental is the one who commented on your style of writing.

What GBdental?You guys are out of your mind.I should have posted my question elsewhere.This seems like the drunken thread.

Dentist1 said:
What GBdental?You guys are out of your mind.I should have posted my question elsewhere.This seems like the drunken thread.

Sorry Dentist1, or is it BBGun, I'm confused. ;)
You have a "unique" grammatical style and I applaud you for embracing it. As far as this being the drunken thread, that's not a bad idea. Seeing as UConn is already pissing his pants though, that might not be a good idea. :laugh:

"That's it, that's all I have!"

gbdental said:
As far as this being the drunken thread, that's not a bad idea. Seeing as UConn is already pissing his pants though, that might not be a good idea. :laugh:

Let the vino rosso flow freely and let the Depends take care of the consequences!

buona sera

I give up too.I took my post elswhere to surgery forum.That is the best I can do.This thread needs intervention.Dentist1 out.

When GP's refer crown lengthening, do they refer to OMFS or Perio? Just curious.

Perio,as far as I know.
predentchick said:
When GP's refer crown lengthening, do they refer to OMFS or Perio? Just curious.

gbdental said:
Sorry Dentist1, or is it BBGun, I'm confused. ;)
You have a "unique" grammatical style and I applaud you for embracing it. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BBGUN said:

I am always amazed by the quickness of some to criticize the scope of practice of a field (OMS) they obviously know nothing about. Frankly, it's disrespectful to do so, as it fails to recognize the sacrifice, tremendous effort, and knowledge that has been developed by these doctors. To hear this from a dentist is just plain shocking. I guess the clinical exposure at Harvard is as deficient as I am told. I can't imagine any other explanation for your misguided notions.

You need to spend a week with an OMS in a hospital and then you'll have a much better idea of what they do.

drhobie7 said:
I am always amazed by the quickness of some to criticize the scope of practice of a field (OMS) they obviously know nothing about. Frankly, it's disrespectful to do so, as it fails to recognize the sacrifice, tremendous effort, and knowledge that has been developed by these doctors. To hear this from a dentist is just plain shocking. I guess the clinical exposure at Harvard is as deficient as I am told. I can't imagine any other explanation for your misguided notions.

You need to spend a week with an OMS in a hospital and then you'll have a much better idea of what they do.

Amen :thumbup: