Omfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapappy41

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year student and interested in OMFS. I have some time and want to do a few externships before applying. However, I have been having some difficulty determining which schools I am actually interested in applying to. I have searched the forums but was hoping some of you could give me some advice.

I know some of you may flame me, but I am interested in being a typical "teeth and titanium" type OMFS. I wan't to go into private practice and do the extractions, implants, benign path etc.

• Prefer 4 year program, would do 6 years though
  • Want lots of implant, extraction and benign path experience
  • Great dentoalveolar
  • Cosmetics would be nice, but not necessary
  • Good sedation experience
I don't mind doing large reconstruction like neck dissections, cleft palate/lip, TMJ etc but I don't want that to be the main focus of the program, same for trauma. If I am fortunate enough to get accepted and graduate I will be a bread and butter practitioner and want to be strong in the areas I will be utilizing daily.

With that in mind, can you please offer some suggestion of some OMFS programs that would be a good fit for me. So I can look into them further.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Rochester.

4 year program with great sedation and dentoalveolar. Not sure how much cosmetic they do, but they do take trauma.

Consider an externship there

Members don't see this ad :)
Why aren't you considering Perio?

I am. I want to do some externships to see if OMFS is suited for me.

However, I feel like GP's would be more inclined to refer implant cases to an oral surgeon over a periodontist, same goes for wisdom teeth extractions. I like the idea of being able to do anesthesia, I dont think that is covered as well in a perio residency (correct me if I am wrong). I am young, if the OMFS residency has a stipend/isn't crazy expensive I can afford an extra year or two to become an OMFS, which I think will pay off in the long run. I feel I will get better training in an OMFS residency and can have a wider scope of practice if I later choose.

One aspect of perio that I do like, that I'm not certain if OMFS are doing, is bone regeneration. I know both specialties do bone grafts but are any private practice OMFS doing bone regeneration? What about soft tisuue grafts?

Are there any reasons I haven't touched upon why you feel perio would be a better fit?

I'm fairly certain toofache was mocking you, as you aren't interested in a lot of the areas of OMS that he feels are important (you're only interested in the 'superficial' procedures). I'm not saying I agree with him.

I don't believe he was offering a genuine suggestion.

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct. I posted my response mainly to keep the thread on topic and hopefully get some more valuable advice like the first posters offered.

Any other OMFS programs I should look into?

Sorry if I offended anyone. Although I am commonly known to be a smart @$$, I was serious. Perio these days does tons of grafting, soft tissue work, implants, even exodontia and IV sedation. Not necessarily 3rd molars I guess. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Although I am commonly known to be a smart @$$, I was serious. Perio these days does tons of grafting, soft tissue work, implants, even exodontia and IV sedation. Not necessarily 3rd molars I guess. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

You can't have a beautifully gyrating picture like that and NOT ruffle feathers :D