OMG don't like my match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microscp2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows if is possible to swap with somebody even before getting the contract? I want to stay in Missouri, and matched in Florida. don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody knows if is possible to swap with somebody even before getting the contract? I want to stay in Missouri, and matched in Florida. don't know what to do.

Sorry to hear you don't like the program you matched into. I won't make any judgments on you (e.g. why you would rank a program that you wouldn't want to go to) because I realize that circumstances change after rank lists are submitted all the time, and I don't know your personal story.

But anyway, to answer your question, the NRMP has a FAQ page that contains information about the process of trying to get out of a program you matched into. It seems like this is a difficult process to undertake, and I wouldn't attempt to do it without advice from one of your advisers or somebody else who is "in the know" about all the ins and outs of the NRMP policies.

Here is the link http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/applicants.html

Sorry to hear you don't like the program you matched into. I won't make any judgments on you (e.g. why you would rank a program that you wouldn't want to go to) because I realize that circumstances change after rank lists are submitted all the time, and I don't know your personal story.

Ohhhhh. You gonna take that, ShyRem?

But anyway, to answer your question, the NRMP has a FAQ page that contains information about the process of trying to get out of a program you matched into. It seems like this is a difficult process to undertake, and I wouldn't attempt to do it without advice from one of your advisers or somebody else who is "in the know" about all the ins and outs of the NRMP policies.

Here is the link http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/applicants.html
Thank you for sending the link. The program is fabulous, the problem is how is complicating my life now.

Thank you for sending the link. The program is fabulous, the problem is how is complicating my life now.

I suppose you could also try swapping with another resident, but this depends on a few things 1) you need to find another resident willing to exchange positions with you 2) both program directors have to be agreeable to a swap occurring 3) I believe you also have to have started the program (so for instance you could do it a week into residency, but not before starting)

This is obviously fraught with pitfalls so like I said I would definitely seek out a knowledgeable adviser who can help you out on this topic.

I suppose you could also try swapping with another resident, but this depends on a few things 1) you need to find another resident willing to exchange positions with you 2) both program directors have to be agreeable to a swap occurring 3) I believe you also have to have started the program (so for instance you could do it a week into residency, but not before starting)

This is obviously fraught with pitfalls so like I said I would definitely seek out a knowledgeable adviser who can help you out on this topic.

This happened at Duke a few years ago. One of the psych residents wanted to transfer to medicine, and one of the medicine residents wanted to transfer to psych. They 'discovered' each other on an intern medicine rotation, and ultimately both program directors blessed the swap. They switched sometime during the early winter, if I recall correctly.

-AT.

I don't know what specialty you are going into but I suspect this is easier or harder depending on the specialty. I met a resident when I was on an IM rotation this year who had matched elsewhere but realized she really didn't want to go there. It turned out that someone really didn't want to go to the program here and dropped out (I have no idea how one goes about doing this). She found out about the spot, contacted the program, and somehow managed to get the spot here. I remember that she applied for the spot then spoke with her PD at the program where she was supposed to be and got his blessing on the transfer.

Again, I don't know all the details of it but from this n=1, it is possible.