Omg help me please! I'm ruined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyGUN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just ruinned my life.

I got my grades back this semester
anatomy and physiology2 = c-
intro to sociology = d+
global ecology = c-
immunology = d-

i am accepted to nyu and penn. I am not sure what i will tell threm. Please assist. Am not surre what i should do. What do i tell my parents? My advisors? My brother? My friends? As far as i see i lost respect and career

Members don't see this ad.

i'm speechless. First off, how did you get accepted with grades like that? beyond that, take a deep breath and deal with this problem rationally. start by discussing possibilities with your family before announcing this to the world. realize that they will love you in the long run regardless. meet in person with your advisers. as for your friends, anyone who respects you less because of this probobly is not a friend to begin with.

i had a 3.76 gpa prior to this semester. now my online transcript says that it is a 3.43. i have not told anyone yet. i just am not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
what did you get on your DAT?!? immunology and anatomy and physiology are both pieces of information needed for the bio portion of the exam. getting into upenn, i would expect that you did half decent. this is baffeling to me. best of luck in your future endeavors.

yea i know but my teachers for these classes gave tests that were not multiple choice im talking lab practicals even in immunology. also i got a little cocky when i had my penn interview back at beginning of semester and my interviewer told me not to worry. i need a time machine now

I just ruinned my life.

intro to sociology = d+
global ecology = c-
immunology = d-

i am accepted to nyu and penn. I am not sure what i will tell threm. Please assist. Am not surre what i should do. What do i tell my parents? My advisors? My brother? My friends? As far as i see i lost respect and career

I am really sorry to say that but there is a chance that your admission gets revoked. You grades don't look good and I am sure you need to explain to admissions what happened to you last semester and why your grades were so low! Before doing anything, you need to sit down with your family and seek help from them!

call the school and talk to them ASAP. they have every right to revoke your acceptance now...

if i were you..i would send in your deposits now...to both schools just in case...probably instead of send..you should hand deliver them to the head of admissions in a tuxedo...

nevermind...

Last edited:
what happened??? if there is some personal reason this happened, ie family problems etc, I think the schools are willing to be more understanding.

Otherwise...yikes

perhaps you could retake the classes you got D's in next semester. then get you bachelor's degree. some schools only care if you get a bachelor's degree. i had an interviewere tell me that he didn't care about grades.
sooo get your bachelor's degree and have a HUGE reason why you're grades turned out like they did. also make sure to say that it was an isolated incident, not a pattern of your behavior and it will NEVEr happen again.

if i were an admissions officer, i would be a softie :)

Members don't see this ad :)
theres still hope for you don't worry

http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos075.htm

That's messed up montag... grow up.

You need to call the schools and ask their advisers what to do. You should also go to your professors and deans at your school and ask if there is any possible way to remediate or repeat the final given your situation. Most schools want their students to succeed so you may be able to convince them to let you repeat your finals or remediate the subjects through independent study.

ok i looked this up from penn's website:

they want people who have finished their degrees and

"Although there is no minimum grade-point-average or Dental Admission Test score requirements, careful consideration will be given to candidates with overall and science grade point averages (G.P.A.) of 3.2 or higher. The average scores for the August 2007 incoming class were as follows: mean overall G.P.A. of 3.75, mean science G.P.A. of 3.71, mean DAT academic of 21, the mean DAT PAT of 19, mean DAT reading comprehension of 21, and mean DAT total science of 21."

i would advise you to retake the D classes next semester and just make sure you get your degree next semester.

Wow man sorry to hear that.

I went to school in a city where there is a ton of stuff to do so I can somewhat sympathize, but how on earth did you get those grades!?!?

Did you go out every single night? Family stuff? Did you just not care? Any crazy experiences lol?

Like everyone else here has mentioned, you should def go check with the schools. A few of my acceptances all specifically stated that grades lower than C would be enough to revoke acceptances and scholarships.

Good luck man...

yea i know but my teachers for these classes gave tests that were not multiple choice im talking lab practicals even in immunology.

Wow, I had barely any multiple choice exams all through undergrad... I still managed. Doesn't sound like a good excuse for two D's in a semester.

Is the OP trolling? I just ask because of the low post count and rather ridiculous circumstances. In many instances you almost need to try to get grades like that. If not, man, good luck.

you're dumb dude lol

Dont worry, a friend of mine still got in after failing a upper lv bio course. I recall he didn't even bother doing academic update.

Uh, its not very nice to belittle other professions....especially when dentistry has the "image" of being the back up for Pre-Meds who don't make it. :idea:

Is the OP trolling? I just ask because of the low post count and rather ridiculous circumstances. In many instances you almost need to try to get grades like that. If not, man, good luck.

Well he could just be one of those many lurkers on these boards.

If you got a D in Immunology how do you expect to pass a harder, upper level Immunology in dental school where you have 11 other classes to worry about? I hope this doesn't happen, but if your acceptance is revoked, it will likely because they feel that you aren't ready for dental school yet given your poor grades in classes that are such easy topics. If you get to go to dental school, be prepared for lots of practicals that aren't multiple choice. Good luck, and try not to slack off and get Ds anymore.

i just had a long talk with my parents and uncle about my situation. i will submit my deposits to both schools and talk to each of my 4 professors about possibly raising my grades. fortunately for me nothing here will affect my graduation time. worst case scenario i will reapply next year with a great learning experience to discuss at my interviews.

sorry i did make new name for this thread. i didnt want this mishaps to be affiliated with my account and soil my name. the picture is of me though. anyone else have recommendations please post much apprecited

i just had a long talk with my parents and uncle about my situation. i will submit my deposits to both schools and talk to each of my 4 professors about possibly raising my grades. fortunately for me nothing here will affect my graduation time. worst case scenario i will reapply next year with a great learning experience to discuss at my interviews.

sorry i did make new name for this thread. i didnt want this mishaps to be affiliated with my account and soil my name. the picture is of me though. anyone else have recommendations please post much apprecited

lol how are you going to put up a picture of yourself, make this thread, and not "soil your name". btw, is that a gun in the picture?

Originally Posted by montag925

----
sorry that was inappropriate of me. it was meant to be a joke between me and a friend of mine. sorry to insult any podiatrist or pre-podiatry student who is reading this thread.

Angie you are right. my brother applied to allopathic medical school and didnt get in. next year he applied to allopathic and dental and only got into dental. now hes a dentist.

You will need to talk to the adcom of both schools asap. it'd be a rude awakening if your acceptance got revoked in may since you are required to submit your final transcript showing the degree earned. the upenn letter does state "no grade less than c is acceptance and your acceptance may be revoked".

i had a 3.76 gpa prior to this semester. now my online transcript says that it is a 3.43. i have not told anyone yet. i just am not sure.

3.43 is well below Penn's average, but still higher than NYU's average. I imagine that your acceptance would revoked at Penn, but I believe that NYU will be more forgiving. Good luck...

It's not just about the lower grades, its about you slacking off after getting accepted or thinking you were going to get accepted. This says something about who you are as a person. I don't think you should be going to dental school with that kind of a performance. GOOD LUCK

I'm curious, like everyone else on here, why your grades were this low in the first place if you have aced upper level bios before? What exactly happened this semester that altered your grades so much? Were you not expecting this or something? Don't you have mid-semester evaluations so you know how you are doing in the course and can be prepared to boost your grade the second half of the semester? What happened????

Since i don't know why you're grades dropped im going to speculate something has changed in your life...

were you sick? did you have a death in the family? is this what contributed to the bad grades if so, maybe you could push for a retroactive drop....

if it's sickness it needs to somehow be documented... aka have drs. notes and such... if it's a legit reason, i suggest talking to the dean of your school and considering a retroactive drop to drop the ENTIRE semester.

Now, if you have NO real reason for the drop, then possibly look into talking to admissions deans of your d school and figure it out, like other's above me have suggested.

Good luck.

trollihz2.jpg

dude how can this happen?? wat happened 2 u? u really fell off the wagon...listen maybe id go and talk to your professors..tell them the situation and maybe just maybe they'll let u retake the exams..its worth a shot because once the school finds out and they will..ur goin to be in huge trouble...also u should talk to them about it..see what they say, but i would go knocking on ur professors drs first!

Sorry to hear about your situation. Honestly, I say just try to talk to your professors..if they will NOT change anything, then contact the schools. To me, you just waiting is postponing the inevitable. If they have grade restrictions...they are NOT going to change over the break...so why worry yourself about it all break when it is a stipulation that all applicates must have! Just call them and get it over with. If it doesn't happen the way you wished it would and you dont get into the class of 2013, that DOES NOT mean you will never get into dental school! It just didnt happen the way your thought it would. Hope this helps!!! And to everyone else...how about we encourage people who come on here for advice and not bash them...

I dont know why people are ridiculing me. selso, your just jealous because you didnt get accepted to penn and now your bitter because you know this wont get settled for a long time so i essentially took a spot you could have had.

anyway, to the people who have supported me thank you. i emailed 2 of my professors this morning and will try to talk to the other 2 in person after the new year. possily extended assignments to raise my grades to solid c's. at that point i will inform dental schools of my current situation.

After reading this thread I again realized how lucky I am to be applying after graduation.

If the OP had something unexpected happen during the semester then dental schools would understand. Otherwise, well.. just explain your situation to the schools and see what they say..

Good luck! :xf:

Well if you're not a troll (I believe that you're not), then you're one of the biggest fools in d-school admissions history. How could you let this happen?? You "got a little cocky"?? Man, I thought I was ruined when I got a C and a B- one semester LOL.. Hopefully NYU will understand..

what is a troll?

tommygun you just gotta own up to your mistakes and hope for the best. I can't see professors being to nice about it...giving higher grades to undeserving students... you must have had an idea somewhere in the middle of the semester that you were doing bad and thought... hey I should talk to the prof or maybe study more? I don't know.
I was going to get my B- changed to a P cuz I was worried bout my GPA ... I feel a little better.

Good luck to you... it may be smart to go in in person and talk to them?

ecology teacher Dr. Pelarozo, emailed me bak saying i can do plant report on his research next semester to raise my grade to B-. one down 3 to go.

lol is it only me that thinks getting your grades changed is unfair?:confused::confused::confused: (unless of course if there was a personal problem and legitimate excuse)

ecology teacher Dr. Pelarozo, emailed me bak saying i can do plant report on his research next semester to raise my grade to B-. one down 3 to go.

What kind of a joke school do you go to? :confused:

And why didn't I go there?? :laugh:

good for you though, good luck with the rest.. :rolleyes:

What the hell were you doing with your life all semester?

I just ruinned my life.

intro to sociology = d+
global ecology = c-
immunology = d-

Status
Not open for further replies.