Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OMG I am screwed!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mdforlife, Dec 22, 2005.

1. mdforlife

mdforlife Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Guys,
    I am totally %%^&ed. I just got my OrgoI grade and its a B-. I never had a B- before in my life. And what's even sadder I think I am going to get a B- in Bio I also. My overall GPA is o'k, but my science GPA is screwed.
    There goes my hope of applying to top schools :scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. happydays

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you a freshman or sophomore? If yes, then you'll have plenty of time to make up your grade. Make sure you ace the upper level courses.

4. Kazazzle12

Kazazzle12 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Relax. I had a C+ in OrgoI and a B- in OrgoII. I've interviewed at a couple of top schools already. Just make sure the rest of your grades are good, and I'm sure you have plenty of other things (ECs) to offset one bad grade. Good luck!

5. bootz

bootz Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

For real! Just chill. Pick up an EC or something, grades are definitely not everything in the admissions process.

6. RayhanS1282

RayhanS1282 perpetually percolated
    10+ Year Member

Okay after this atrocity allopathic medical schools are out of the question. If you are really lucky, maybe an osteopathic school might take you. Carribean schools also frown upon less than A's or A-'s on core science classes. Medical schools are doubtful about your capabilities in their institution if you can't hack out perfect grades in basic science courses in college. Your best bet would be to retake the class. And as others have said, try to get some significant and meanigful ECs such as volunteering abroad or curing plagues and such in third world countries. You can also donate copious amounts of blood to show your dedication to helping others. You can also donate a vital organ to stregthen your decision to become a doctor after being a patient and put that tear-jerker in your PS on the AMCAS. But in all seriousness, have you ever considered being an astronaut?

Relax and just show an upward trend. Don't take any offense to my comments and if it makes you feel better and satisfy your urge to bludgeon me over the head with a heavy object after reading this post, you should know that I have piss poor grades that only a mother could love.

7. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

These threads must stop. Mods, do something!!!!

BTW, I'm surprised anyone here gives a damn about your SUPERFICIAL plight.

8. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY need to stop worrying so much. You all are forgetting that your grades are not the only factor in determining your acceptance to medical school.

9. OddNath

OddNath Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you really are worried about your science gpa (and you probably don't need to be), you could check out the page on the AAMC site that lists exactly which departments offer courses which can be counted towards the BCPM. There were a whole bunch (like including astronomy), from what I remember, and some of those departments at your school may offer easy classes.

So, that's a fairly cheap way to raise your science gpa without working too hard...if you really feel like it..

10. MarzMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It amazes me how even people with 100+ posts make threads about this. Sometimes I wonder...........

11. Iluvmatt

Iluvmatt Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Wow, you really have to take a chill pill. If you can't hack minor matters like this, how can you make it in med school? Get mad if you're 1 point from getting an A, but got a B instead or that it was such a doggone easy class that everybody else got an A but you. But don't get all worked up because you're afraid that it'll mess your chances of going to a top school. You really need to lighten up because I don't want you to be one of those kids who do something drastic over something insignificant. Start complaining when you get C-'s and D's/F's.

12. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yea, your right. End your life now. Give me a break. :rolleyes:
    With grades like that, I'm shocked to see you have the balls to post here. Nothing but 4.0's here. I thought you knew. Sad indeed. :eek:

13. it.

it. 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

14. J'kwan

J'kwan Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I totally agree.

15. it.

it. 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

16. mdforlife

mdforlife Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No I am a junior, so I only have spring semester to make things up before applying.
    A little update:
    I emailed my rofessor asking him what I got on the final. Our final is 3 parts each worth 100 points for a total of 300-60% of the final grade. So he wrote that I got on my 3 parts a 76, 97, and 68 and that I was 4/300 points away from a B. Then he wrote that after Jan.2 he will look at my final exam again to see if any mistakes were made in grading.
    Do you guys think that in writting that he'll try to bump me up?

17. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    i think the point the op was trying to make was that although he isn't worried about getting in A particular, he was worried more about getting into a top-tier medical school. Maybe he might be worried too much about his gpa, but given the ultracompetitive nature of the applicants for these upper tier schools, can't we expect this?

18. mdforlife

mdforlife Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

To some of the &^&holes who posted:
    YES I do care about my grades and I get upset over a B-. You don't know what it's like going to my school, where there is backstabbing, cutthroat competition among pre-meds and advisors sh&t on us for Bs.

And please don't tell me that you guys don't care about yours. Bull. I see your neurotic threads: "My interview smiled at me--do you think I will get in?", "I only have 999 hours of volunteering--do you think I need to volunteer one more hour?" "What should I wear for my interview--blue socks or black?" "Should I wear my hair up or down?"

Point is, we all in different stages of this process. Some of you are currently applying and interviewing and so you worry about that. I won't be applying until the summer and so I worry about my grades.

19. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Everyone stresses, friend. But let me key you in on a little secret that I've discovered: all pre-meds are the same. It's competition everywhere. It's like signing up for a 4 year marathon. Cutthroat= standard. Bad advisors= standard. Stress= standard. Pre-med = neurotic. We all are, that's what drives us.

To those you addressed above, if they're not helping, then key them out. No one will get you through med school but you.

Keep your chin up.

20. astrife

astrife Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#19 astrife, Dec 22, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  21. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Buck up. Do well in other courses. Your GPA will recover. Don't let it crush ya.

22. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My post count just went up 1 more.

23. dilated

dilated Fought Law; Law Won
    10+ Year Member

you'll never get into harvard now, oh noes!!1!!

your potential disaster scenario of having to go to a school ranked 30 instead of 10 is unlikely to elicit much sympathy on here.

24. crazy_cavalier

crazy_cavalier T3-Weighted
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    o noes!!!1!11oneone

:laugh: