Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

OMG I'm having another baby!

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Ebete, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Ebete

Ebete Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow and OMG! that's all I could say yesterday as I looked at that + sign on the pregnancy test. what now... I am trying to see if I can take the MCAT in July and all I can think of is I'm having another baby! Did I mention I have 3 now:eek: a 6y/o a 4 y/o and a very energetic 20 month old! Geesh I feel like I'm never going to get to medical school. Although I'm super happy (I lovemy kids ) I have to admit I'm also a bit down today. I see my dream just getting further and further away. Plus I'm not getting any younger either. I feel bad for my hubby, he's got sooo much patience with me and this MCAT ordeal. This is my 5th month of preparing for the test so I know I need to continue until its done. It's just that I have got this medical school idea since 2002...6 years ago, and feel I have accomplished nothing (as far as my own scholar advances/goals).
    Sorry just venting...thank you for listening.
    Eli

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 2008orbust

2008orbust OLDER THAN YOU!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congratulations on the new baby. Although your little bundle may move your schedule around a bit (just like the rest of your babes) your dreams can still come true. Just think, you will now have one more cheerleader at the finish line.:).

Good luck to you.

4. Ebete

Ebete Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

LOL:laugh:THANK YOU!

5. Archer

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congratulations! :) Keep things in some sort of perspective. Take the MCAT, have the little one and keep putting one step in front of the other.

6. teddybear

teddybear "Teddy"
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Best of luck to you.

7. crazydiamond

crazydiamond Non-trad with 2 kids
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!

I got my + last June, right as I was prepping for the MCAT. I decided that I should put off applying one year. . so instead of applying now I'm applying next year. Oh, and I still haven't taken the MCAT -- I got too wrapped up in my pregnancy (plus my brain turns to mush when I'm pregnant).

My little man is 11 weeks old now and things are finally settling down enough that I can get back to studying. LOL

8. Lacheln

Lacheln Cavorting in the Hills
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congratulations :) I am sure that you will find a way to make it work!

9. Ebete

Ebete Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you all for your support, I'm finally accepting my new "condition":) but strangelly (or not) enough I feel a bit down, I mean I'm happy and excited about the new baby but at the same time feel frustated and anoyed I now have no clue when to take the test. I haven't touched a book in 2 days:eek: and still have soooooo much to do. Plus I'm travelling in 2 weeks over seas with the kids and was planning on just having fun with them (NO STUDYING!) I feel so overwhelmed right now. I want to do so much and have no time! I need to get my momentum back...this just halted everything to a complete stop, and I feel i just don't have enough gas to start me back up again.
    I'm sure I won't be ready for the July test, I'm only coming back last week of Aug, so my only hope is sometime in Sept. But with no studying during July & Aug I don;t see a possibility there either. My last bet will be in Jan, I just don't know if I can do that either...you know how you get while prego; tired all the time, sleepy, REALLY sleepy:sleep: lets not forget the nausea (which did not start YET, and the heaviness of the growing belly:laugh: and the sex raging hormones:hardy: (if your hubby is up for it anyway!)!.... OH help me!

Sorry...maybe I'll feel better tomorrow. Its clean the house day, maybe I'll let the huuby & the kids do that while I take a FL. I just don't know if I should quit it for now or try harder.

Thanks again, E

10. jace's mom

jace's mom Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I can't really help you with your scheduling concerns, but I can tell you that I have four children and am starting med school in two weeks. It happened for me...a few years later than I thought it would (in fact, I had given up on it and thought I closed the door forever), but now I know that it happened at exactly the right time.

Congratulations to you! May your fourth child be as big of a blessing to you as my "baby" girl is to me. All of my children are special, but the youngest has really brought some wonderful kind of love into our home. As for the rest...it will happen when the time's right. Just keep walking.

11. Kateb4

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took the MCAT while about 6 months pregnant with my 3rd baby, who is now a happy 10 month old, and I'm starting med school in a month! Don't get down, if you postpone your application a year it will not be as bad as you think.

As far as taking the MCAT, I would say do it now before you are too pregnant to sit comfortably for 4 hours. I had to pee at every brake that we could get. How are you doing on practice tests? If you have been studying for 5 months already a few days isn't going to make a difference. If you need a break to regroup, take it! When are you planning to apply? If you're not applying for the c/o 2013, then you could put it off until after the baby is born, but then you have to deal with baby brain and if you're nursing that could be another issue (not really convenient to pump in the middle of the test).

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It will be really wonderful in the end! PM me if you want to talk more!

12. PunkmedGirl

PunkmedGirl Freshman Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    AAWWWW CONGRATS... I thought I was going to have a hard time but I see a whole lot of moms before me with more than me succeeding as well as the ones in this thread. So ENJOY your BUNDLE of LAUGHS..JOYS and BLESSING. GOOD Luck on the MCAT!!!!!:D:D:D

13. sunny1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sometimes things take longer than we intend, but that's why the marathon adage is so appropriate. You are very close to achieving your goals.

See what you can do over the next few weeks to prepare for an MCAT in September. If you still don't feel ready, give yourself more time to study and consider sitting for the January exam. Either way, it sounds like you would be ready to apply next summer/fall. So you are really very close.

I'll be taking the MCAT when I'm about 22 weeks pregnant. Between work and my TPR course, I don't have much time to really study for myself. But I've got about 3-4 weeks after the end of the class, so I hope I'll be ready by then. I'll have to remember to let you know how it works out! I don't feel like I'll ever be ready at this point, ack!

I agree with the feelings that come and go. It's been a while since I've felt like visiting SDN or looking at my personal statement for edits. Today I'm just getting back into it all. The fact that June is almost over has something to do with it, I'm sure. :D

14. annbow

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Best of luck...my little one is 3 months old today.

Here's to Moms that chase their dreams!

Take care!

15. AWhitehair

AWhitehair EM PA-C. MD wannabe
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I found out I was pregnant with my first a couple of months ago. I was terrified, upset, disappointed, yet happy at the same time. I am supposed to start a one year masters in the fall and I plan to take the MCAT in January. My due date is Dec 25th, so I might be pumping on breaks during the exam.

Just about everyone has told me to give up on the "doctor idea" and become a nurse or "something". I entertained the idea for about a week and then quickly fell into a deep depression. I think the road to becoming a doctor is going to have a lot more hurdles now, but I'm willing to give it all I have. Here's to trying.

16. MedicJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Good luck to you! Actually, you just inspired me. I am new to the forum. I have spent the last 8 years as a paramedic. I still have a good 2-3 semesters before I can apply to med school. I have a 7 month old. My mother-in-law is giving me a REALLY hard time but the rest of my family is backing me 110%.
    Again, good luck!

17. kleo0986

kleo0986 weeee!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey, I just wanted to say how proud I am of you and all the other women out there that are tackling med school apps and med school with kids! You ladies truly inspire me! Congrats on your pregnancy, having kids is a GREAT thing, regardless of the timing, as it seems you know :) I'm only 21 and am looking at starting med school at 26 or 27, and it really helps me to see that other women with families are doing the same. You have the support of so many people, I really hope you don't give up! And hey, if (I should say *when*!) I get to med school, if I don't have kids, I'll help others and babysit:))) GOOD LUCK, DON'T GIVE UP!!

18. EEL08

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Congratulations!! That is so exciting!! You are definitely entitled to feel frustrated because the timing is not what you may have had in mind. You're also going to have another beautiful baby that you'll have a hard time knowing what you did without him/her in your life. I have two kids, 3.25 years :) and 22 months and yes (no lectures please) we want to have more. It's been a long road for my husband and I to this point but it's worked out well so far. I agree that since you've been studying for so long you could go ahead and take the MCAT when you planned. I see no problem taking a break with your kids to just enjoy your time together. :D:luck:

19. makingmd

makingmd Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hey Ebete. We communicated a while back. Long story short I have pushed back as well. I went to register in April and all sites were full through September. There went applying this June. So I put studying down for a while also. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone and you have a darn good excuse for pushing your test date back. Good luck!

20. OncoCaP

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I guess you're just one of those women who is destined to go for the biological limit number of kids. Seriously tho, don't let it get you down. We conceived a little tyke around the time I was preparing for my MCAT as well and he's been a super blessing (one of several kids, actually) ... better than med school even, and I like med skool. :luck::thumbup:

21. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just want to encourage you.... I took the MCAT while 5 months pregnant with my second child, and only took 2 months to study for it! (while working a full time job and taking care of a 18 month old).

I'm currently a third year student (we start clinical rotations tomorrow, had orientation last week). I'm halfway through, and my kids are doing just fine. I'm sure this next year will be a challenge for my family, but we'll manage. There will only be a few months (November through May) that I'm going to be putting in really long hours, so I'm confident that we're going to be fine.

I want to encourage you to TRY to prepare for the test and take it as soon as you can. Don't force yourself to take it if your not ready, but you don't want to put it back and then forget what you've been spending your last 5 months on.... I'm guessing you'd prefer to not need to spend another 5 months on the same material to get you to the point your at now!

You can do it, just take another day or two to collect your thoughts, do your best to deal with your current frustration with being pregnant, and then if possible, come back and hit the books hard!

22. montessori2md

montessori2md Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    All the people who suggested I consider "something" weren't my professors -the person who saved me (after a bad week) was my organic prof, who told me my work "didn't fit" nursing school/PA school.

I don't think pumping for MCAT would really be necessary, though you might need to wear nursing pads in your bra in case (sorry if that's too graphic for any non-moms reading). The bigger issue is the sleep deprivation and "this-is-your-brain on hormones" feeling. And if you happen to need a C-section, I'd cancel.

I think my IQ dropped about 30 points while pregnant, went up 10 when he was 3 months, and went back to normal once he was sleeping through the night. Much better at not sleeping now than before he was born, though :D Never was one for all-nighters...

23. crazydiamond

crazydiamond Non-trad with 2 kids
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ooh boy, my IQ totally dropped! My little guy is 3 mos old and I swear, my brain is mush. I seem to have a harder time remembering things, I have more trouble thinking critically, and it seems every other thought is "at the tip of my tongue".

If you do feel confident to take it in Jan, then I probably would pump, at least once if possible. It'll be so early and your supply not regulated yet, that I'd be afraid that you'd be giving your body the wrong signals. But you can play it by ear. . take your pump with you and see how you feel.