OMG im so sick of these people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotties123

GrandMacDaddy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im so sick of these people in my class that think they are the shi** because theyre in med school. Ive seen several of them wearing white coats around campus on days we dont have interviews. Ive counted at least 10 different license plates that tell the world they are med students ("fut doc", "medstud", etc). Ive noticed at least 3 cars that have stethoscopes hanging from the rear view mirror. I think the max number of med school bumper stickers ive seen on a single car is 5, but usually no less than 2. I had a little free time and checked out some local hangout area and I ran into someone in my class that was walking around with a stethoscope around his neck. Literally every single day I hear at least 3 different people say that saying theyre in med school got them laid last night (usually the same 3 people). Granted, there are a good number of people here that aren't like that at all (thankfully), but the ones that think theyre kings are annoying as hell. I dont even want to see how they act once they get their MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
im so sick of these people in my class that think they are the shi** because theyre in med school. Ive seen several of them wearing white coats around campus on days we dont have interviews. Ive counted at least 10 different license plates that tell the world they are med students ("fut doc", "medstud", etc). Ive noticed at least 3 cars that have stethoscopes hanging from the rear view mirror. I think the max number of med school bumper stickers ive seen on a single car is 5, but usually no less than 2. I had a little free time and checked out some local hangout area and I ran into someone in my class that was walking around with a stethoscope around his neck. Literally every single day I hear at least 3 different people say that saying theyre in med school got them laid last night (usually the same 3 people). Granted, there are a good number of people here that aren't like that at all (thankfully), but the ones that think theyre kings are annoying as hell. I dont even want to see how they act once they get their MD.

Yeah, I'd draw the line at wearing a steth around bars and stuff. Scrubs, I could get over just because they are so darn comfy. I would assume that it will wear off after a while, when things start to get sticky and egos start getting smashed, but I wouldn't know. At the same time, I can sympathize with them. It was a grueling road, and they made it. A little ego trip is understandable.... as long as they get over it.

I have a license plate holder that has my school's name on it, but no vanity plates. My wife bought me the holder so what was I going to do?

Anyone who wears their stethoscope or scrubs when they don't have to is just a big tool, so rest assured that everyone that sees them walking around thinks that as well.

I'll let my dad know that you think he's a tool ;). He wears them every day because they don't cost him anything and he has a bad hip that makes pulling up tight pants/jeans painful.

I don't see the problem wearing scrubs around. I wear them at cafes when I'm out of clean laundry and doing homework. No one has ever come up to me and been like "wow are you a doctor/med student". Nor do I think people really give a damn one way or another, maybe medical students and professionals do see it as a display. Then again, I come from a laid back town so maybe its different elsewhere. I know this has been debated on this forum, so no need to get into it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd draw the line at wearing a steth around bars and stuff. Scrubs, I could get over just because they are so darn comfy. I would assume that it will wear off after a while, when things start to get sticky and egos start getting smashed, but I wouldn't know. At the same time, I can sympathize with them. It was a grueling road, and they made it. A little ego trip is understandable.... as long as they get over it.
I'll let my dad know that you think he's a tool ;). He wears them every day because they don't cost him anything and he has a bad hip that makes pulling up tight pants/jeans painful.

I don't see the problem wearing scrubs around. I wear them at cafes when I'm out of clean laundry and doing homework. No one has ever come up to me and been like "wow are you a doctor/med student". Nor do I think people really give a damn one way or another, maybe medical students and professionals do see it as a display. Then again, I come from a laid back town so maybe its different elsewhere. I know this has been debated on this forum, so no need to get into it.

Once you've done any anatomy lab or clinical time you'll understand scrubs are toxic waste to be removed as soon as possible as they end up carrying all sorts of awful bodily fluids. If you're wearing scrubs to anywhere besides work you A) are spreading disgusting germs or if not A then B) you shouldn't be wearing scrubs because you aren't going near sick people.

Why are you wearing scrubs as a premed anyway?

Once you've done any anatomy lab or clinical time you'll understand scrubs are toxic waste to be removed as soon as possible as they end up carrying all sorts of awful bodily fluids. If you're wearing scrubs to anywhere besides work you A) are spreading disgusting germs or if not A then B) you shouldn't be wearing scrubs because you aren't going near sick people.

Let me clarify, I've been referring to just scrub bottoms in my past posts. I agree wearing the top or the whole outfit would be rather odd. I wear scrub bottoms because I have some from hospital volunteering, they were disinfected by the hospital cleaning staff and I never returned them when I left for college, and they are a last resort to keep me from having to do laundry for a few more days. I tend to run out of jeans and pants before I do shirts.

Edit: I guess I should also clarify that my dad is an ED doc, which is why he wears scrubs at all. He, also, just wears the pants. Having seen my dad wearing them for so many years, I sometimes take for granted that scrubs = scrub bottoms.

Last edited:
No offense man, but you're waltzing around in scrubs and you're not even in med school? That makes you a pretty big goober. I didn't really mean it when I said no offense.

No offense man, but you're waltzing around in scrubs and you're not even in med school? That makes you a pretty big goober. I didn't really mean it when I said no offense.

I wouldn't really call sitting in a corner prepping lessons waltzing, but you're entitled to your opinion of course. Gotta take your frustration out on someone I suppose. Scrub bottoms are just clothes. I've even torn some of the legs off to make makeshift swim trunks in a pinch.

Dont hate the playa, hate the game.

(all other complaints are valid, and very amusing).

lmao. ya i cant really see how anyone could justify wearing scrubs (or coat, or steth, etc) outside of where theyre needed. If theyre so comfortable, how bout you buy a pair of sweat pants. They have waistbands made out of this futuristic elastic material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweatpants are hot. I live in a desert. Nobodies going to think I'm something I'm not where I live, if it bugs you that people where scrubs then maybe we need legislation that prevents the impersonation of a physician like we do a police officer. I agree if I was walking around strutting and talking myself up as something I'm not, that'd be pretty gooberish.

Last edited:
Edit: I guess I should also clarify that my dad is an ED doc, which is why he wears scrubs at all. He, also, just wears the pants. Having seen my dad wearing them for so many years, I sometimes take for granted that scrubs = scrub bottoms.

Ah, the reverse ER Mullet.

Dont hate the playa, hate the game.

(all other complaints are valid, and very amusing).

thats what I thought when I read the post.

what a tool thing to brag about. A license plate that says "medstud"??? LOL

I agree, definitely insecurity.

I do hope we end up at school together though, ryserr :thumbup:

thats what I thought when I read the post.

what a tool thing to brag about. A license plate that says "medstud"??? LOL

I agree, definitely insecurity.

I do hope we end up at school together though, ryserr :thumbup:

yea man! pitbulls scare me though. (i'm not fully committed to Loyola by the way, in fact if i get in to UCI itll take nothing less than a full ride to pull me away from sunny so cal and cheap tuition).

Wow, your class is especially bad. The MS1s at our school have also caught a bad case of scrubs/white coat/stethoscopitis this year. It'd be sad, if it wasn't so damn entertaining.

Why don't you guys disclose your tooly schools? I also advise saying/doing something to the offenders instead of starting a bitch session on here that won't even get to the source of the problem (your tooly classmates). At least try to explain to them how lame they are. It'll do your tooly school a favor.

If you're going to clog this hellhole of a website with this junk, you might as well give the rest of us the satisfaction of knowing which school you are talking about.

I love calling people on this stuff.

Did you just come from clinic?

No.

Then why are you wearing scrubs and white coat?

Oh its just so darn comfy...

(me laughing)

You care entirely too much.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's nice knowing there are, and will be normal people out there in medicine.

It's pretty disgraceful when I see students hanging their white coats in their cars consistently, when they're not needed, or put stethoscopes by the rear view window for all to see- because nothing's better than filling your self-worth than broadcasting the aforementioned for all the world to see. Pathetic.

There was one guy in my class who wore his white coat (along with appropriately dressy clothes) every day. He essentially fast-tracked himself to complete social ruin and dropped out after our first block of classes. Even med schoolers know you're socially inept when you do things like that.

There was one guy in my class who wore his white coat (along with appropriately dressy clothes) every day. He essentially fast-tracked himself to complete social ruin and dropped out after our first block of classes. Even med schoolers know you're socially inept when you do things like that.
Yeah that's a pretty quick way to ostracization.

Haha, I love the premise of this thread. People who love lording it over everyone that they are med students are so pathetic. Some people, amazingly, continue this attitude until well into clinical years and continue to believe that their existence on the earth is the single greatest and most important development in the history of the world. When they become residents they "suddenly" attain the realization that med students are inferior, stupid, and clueless and deserve to be treated as such. Then when they become attendings they discover that residents suck. If they end up going into a subspecialty residency they also discover that primary care physicians are stupid and clueless, and those in their specialty are the enlightened ones.

Don't worry though, almost all of you will be privy to witness a virtual beat-down of these self-entitled losers when they try to correct an attending during rounds, or they show up on the wards looking and acting like Osler reincarnated but then don't know where to put the sodium value in their electrolyte notation.

Unfortunately the sad thing is that once these people eventually become attendings, even if they have been schooled and berated, revert back to the original phenotype. They become the attendings who show up late but demand you be on time. The attendings who badmouth other physicians to patients and then get upset when someone marginalizes their little corner of medicine. The attendings who pick favorites with med students or residents they are evaluating based on something trivial. It never really ends. But the good news is that the farther along you get, the more you can marginalize these trivial empty white coats.

To be honest, one of my favorite things about finishing med school was that I didn't have to wear my white coat anymore.

As far as wearing scrubs in public, that's weak. Scrubs are supposed to represent the supposedly cleaner hospital environment. You can wear them outside of the hospital, but hopefully you are changing them when you arrive at work and start doing your clinical duties. What you should not do is what I have seen: The ***** surgical resident who wears his scrubs to the nearby diner, shoves his face with all kinds of food, and then belches his way into the OR without changing. It's fascinating that they allow people like this to walk into the OR and refuse to allow someone in a clean pressed suit to walk in. "I'm wearing scrubs!" Part of the reason MRSA is spreading is probably because people are wearing scrubs 24 hrs a day and not changing before they leave and after they arrive. That's ok though, because they look cool, right? 95% of people who never change out of scrubs are lazy.

I think people look ******ed in scrubs yaah, but maybe that's just me.

I'm not sure about looking ******ed but they look lazy and silly when you see them outside the hospital. And they look even lazier when they're untucked which the "I love wearing scrubs" people tend to do.

It would be like wearing your baseball uniform out in public.

Along the same vein, once you're an intern or resident, "you'll understand that" you rack up enough scrubs to outfit an army, and sometimes you start wearing them around at home... which turns into, oh, I'll walk the dogs in my scrubs since I'm wearing them-- why should I get changed just for that?... which turns into, well, I'm just stopping by Bed Bath & Beyond for a hot second, who really cares....

(Note: I'm only talking about the scrub PANTS-- definitely not the top! That's reserved for work only, and I agree- definitely denotes a level of cheesiness when worn outside the hospital setting.)

Aside from that, scrub pants are incredibly prolific. My husband's Key Club in high school gave out special printed ones to all their members during one of their conventions (which we still have lying around the house). Ain't nothing special-- everyone wants a piece of the comfy.

As an aside, we use our unused clean OR towels (the ones that would otherwise get tossed after an LP or an A-line, for instance) as camping towels. Toolish? Wise use of resources? You decide!

Last edited:
About the stethoscope over the rearview mirror thing, I leave mine there because

A) I'd otherwise forget to pick it up in the morning.

B) Supposedly can get you out of speeding tickets.

I can't even imagine trying to drive with a stethoscope around your rearview mirror. And if you're getting a speeding ticket while your car is parked, you've done something terribly wrong.

Unacceptable.

I'm either exceptionally unobservant or go to a tool free school because I don't think I've ever seen anyone carrying a stethoscope when they weren't doing clinical stuff.

And dude, I'd love a life where I could ditch both the white coat and the stethoscope. Academic medicine seems unappealing for many reasons, but the never taking off the white coat thing seems especially like a drag.

I'm either exceptionally unobservant or go to a tool free school because I don't think I've ever seen anyone carrying a stethoscope when they weren't doing clinical stuff.

And dude, I'd love a life where I could ditch both the white coat and the stethoscope. Academic medicine seems unappealing for many reasons, but the never taking off the white coat thing seems especially like a drag.
Absolutely agree. I think there was a small period in my life when I was terribly impressed with myself for getting into medical school, but it was gone long before first year was over.

I find it amusing that anyone would think a short coat was a status symbol - it generally is an invitation for humiliation when you have to wear it in places where anyone knows what it means.

Show-off medical students will quickly learn that most doctors don't even own scrubs, since the hospital nearly always provides them for the medical staff. If you want to look like a real doctor in scrubs, you have to wear surgical blues that are stolen and that have a hospital name prominently stamped on them. That opportunity won't come along until at least 3rd year.

You can carry your stethoscope in your pocket, but I personally don't think you should sling it around your neck until you've been using it long enough to hear a click or a murmur - but that's just me. I can tell you, though - NEVER leave your stethoscope in the car, especially on the rearview mirror. Nothing will destroy the diaphragm faster than excessive heat or cold - your stethoscope won't work nearly as well (the diaphragm looks fine but it gets stiff) - and, if you're inexperienced, you won't even realize that you're not hearing properly. Also, replacing the diaphragm is a pain in the *ss.

At my school, everyone in the health sciences wanted to wear scrubs and jackets. It was required for the dental students. The only college that didn't have a dress code was the College of Medicine. I considered flips-flops and ratty cut-offs to be a status symbol in my pre-clinical years, because only medical students could get away with it.

Last edited:
I have a sticker on my back window with the name of my medical school, but thats just because I'm proud to be a student there I guess. I do, however, think its pretty lame when kids wear their white coats around school all day.. I only see this on days when people have preceptor or some sort of patient encounter, but still there is no reason not to leave the coat in your car while you're at school and then put it on when when you head to whatever hospital later in the afternoon (at least at my school where none of the hospitals are directly connected to school). Similarly I'd laugh my ass off if I saw anyone wearing a stethoscope at some place where people go to study. I can see why people might wear scrubs outside of school although I don't think they're the most comfortable lounging clothes, but there is no excuse to wear them to the gym. Scrubs may be comfortable for studying at the library, but they are not something you want to sweat in - leave the scrubs at home next time you're going to the gym haha. Also, I've never heard anyone say outright that they got laid because they're a medical student, but I've seen it came up passively in conversation at the bar and subsequently the medical students have gotten a little more attention from the girls they were talking to if you know what I'm saying. One thing that makes a difference at my school I think is that the health campus is almost completely separate from the undergraduate campus. So the only people we see at school are those in PT, dental, med, PhD, etc programs. I have a feeling if we were surrounded by undergraduates there would be a lot more flaunting of white coats, scrubs, and stethoscopes. And hanging a stethoscope around your rear-view mirror??? Nothing will get your windows broken and your stethoscope stolen any faster than doing that in this city haha

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I haven’t done nor have I seen anyone from my med school do what the OP is describing. I agree that being a medical student or a medical doctor does NOT make you hot ****. Your character and personality define you, not your degree or job.

However, if YOU didn’t think the whole med school thing was a big deal, then you wouldn’t even notice people that brag about it or exaggerate it. What makes my point are the angry posts about people “impersonating” a doctor when they are not in the proper setting. If it (the whole med school thing or being a doctor) is not a big deal, why do you care so much? If it is a big deal, then let them (the "tools") have their childish moment(s).

I think we can all use some maturity.

Disclaimer repeated: I don’t even own scrubs and keep my coat and steth in my locker for when I absolutely need them.

The absolute worst is the tool who wears scrubs to a social function like a happy hour.

I do, however, think its pretty lame when kids wear their white coats around school all day.. I only see this on days when people have preceptor or some sort of patient encounter, but still there is no reason not to leave the coat in your car while you're at school and then put it on when when you head to whatever hospital later in the afternoon (at least at my school where none of the hospitals are directly connected to school).
I take the bus and don't own a car, so I either wear it or I sling it around my backpack.

I think we've come full circle, and now we can distill out this whole thread into this statement: White coats, scrubs and stethoscopes are lame.

Sweatpants are hot. I live in a desert. Nobodies going to think I'm something I'm not where I live, if it bugs you that people where scrubs then maybe we need legislation that prevents the impersonation of a physician like we do a police officer. I agree if I was walking around strutting and talking myself up as something I'm not, that'd be pretty gooberish.

It's not about impersonating a doctor, its about being a toolbag.

The only time it is acceptable to be wearing scrubs out is if it is 9pm, you just got out the OR and were too tired to change back into clothes and you needed some milk or something from the grocery store. Outside of that, no, scrubs are toolish.

If you have time and energy to go to a bar you have time and energy to change.

This should not annoy you. Believe it or not ~75% of what men do is targeted at nailing chicks(or other dudes in some cases). Cars, clothes, education, bodybuilding, you name it. Even that nerd that swears he is doing it to "help people" still expects a boost in @ss rating while he "helps people".

When they become residents they "suddenly" attain the realization that med students are inferior, stupid, and clueless and deserve to be treated as such.

Im a 2nd year and I very well know that I am clueless, stupid, and inferior so I guess I am ahead of the game.

This should not annoy you. Believe it or not ~75% of what men do is targeted at nailing chicks(or other dudes in some cases). Cars, clothes, education, bodybuilding, you name it. Even that nerd that swears he is doing it to "help people" still expects a boost in @ss rating while he "helps people".

:laugh::thumbup:

Don't worry though, almost all of you will be privy to witness a virtual beat-down of these self-entitled losers when they try to correct an attending during rounds, or they show up on the wards looking and acting like Osler reincarnated but then don't know where to put the sodium value in their electrolyte notation.

Unfortunately the sad thing is that once these people eventually become attendings, even if they have been schooled and berated, revert back to the original phenotype. They become the attendings who show up late but demand you be on time. The attendings who badmouth other physicians to patients and then get upset when someone marginalizes their little corner of medicine. The attendings who pick favorites with med students or residents they are evaluating based on something trivial. It never really ends. But the good news is that the farther along you get, the more you can marginalize these trivial empty white coats.

So thats where they come from?!?! I was soooo hoping this nonsense would end. I guess not. The latest thing if found is the confabulation of medical factoids. When theres no resident or attending around to prove them wrong... "Oh, yeah well the most common complication of this is X", or "Yeah when they do that procedeure they normally.. blah blah blah". This sort of thing drives me bonkers. I dont even feel like wasting my energy to call them out on it. Yeah I know you're smart, dont need to make stuff up to make yourself appear smarter than everyone else. Anyone else have this experience, or am I around a particularly toolish group of students?

The ***** surgical resident who wears his scrubs to the nearby diner, shoves his face with all kinds of food, and then belches his way into the OR without changing. It's fascinating that they allow people like this to walk into the OR and refuse to allow someone in a clean pressed suit to walk in. "I'm wearing scrubs!" Part of the reason MRSA is spreading is probably because people are wearing scrubs 24 hrs a day and not changing before they leave and after they arrive. That's ok though, because they look cool, right? 95% of people who never change out of scrubs are lazy.
Yeah, I don't get that. It's not like I have to wash them - I just grab a clean pair from the rack or out of the machine, and they'll wash my dirty ones. I always wore clean ones.

About the stethoscope over the rearview mirror thing, I leave mine there because

A) I'd otherwise forget to pick it up in the morning.

B) Supposedly can get you out of speeding tickets.
The latter is really only going to work if you're a firefighter, paramedic or surgeon. The cops don't care about med students.