OMG im so sick of these people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't necessarily agree with this; sometimes there are rules, which is fine, and then follow the rules, but I had 2 rotations M3 year (ortho trauma and CT surg) where we were told to wear scrubs all the time, even in clinic.

Yeah, after I wrote this, I realized that I should have specified that this was at my institution.

We'd get some kind of comment if we showed up to clinic in scrubs, even on surgery, and even if we were post-call.

My anesthesia rotation threatened us saying that if we left the hospital with scrubs or wearing scrubs we could be caught by security for stealing.

:eek:

Never heard that one before!

Members don't see this ad.

<shrug> Well, you'll see when/if you get there. That's what I thought too....but that only lasted for about a week. :laugh:

I never got that tired after all-nighters. Sitting down and writing a term paper or studying isn't too bad...but standing up in the OR for 15 or 16 hours straight is worse.

Oh, scrubs are never acceptable for clinic, at least when you're a med student or a junior level resident. Whenever we had OR in the morning, and clinic in the afternoon, I'd always bring clothes to change into.

I'd wear scrubs in the ICU. Some people might think it's "unprofessional," but those same people can intubate, do ABGs, and put in central lines in coagulopathic patients while wearing street clothes. I'd rather do those things in scrubs.

15-16 hours straight all night is an exaggeration. Come on.

15-16 hours straight all night is an exaggeration. Come on.

You've misunderstood.

I've never been in the OR for 15-16 hours straight overnight while on call. I've been awake and doing stuff/taking care of patients/going to the OR at intervals all night, overnight.

I HAVE stood in the OR for 15-16 hours straight during the day, though. Mostly in really bad cancer cases or very difficult laparoscopy cases.

Standing in the OR for 15 hours straight, even if it's in the daytime, is more tiring than staying up all night writing a term paper. At least for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've misunderstood.

I've never been in the OR for 15-16 hours straight overnight while on call. I've been awake and doing stuff/taking care of patients/going to the OR at intervals all night, overnight.

I HAVE stood in the OR for 15-16 hours straight during the day, though. Mostly in really bad cancer cases or very difficult laparoscopy cases.

Standing in the OR for 15 hours straight, even if it's in the daytime, is more tiring than staying up all night writing a term paper. At least for me.

I call BS. No one stands for 15 hours straight without sitting, that would be from 5:00am to 10:00pm without sitting down to check labs, to chart, during rounds, at the nurses station, between cases, during meals, to urinate, etc. and I've never heard of a 15 hour case that wasn't a ridiculously complicated transplant surgery or something.

I agree with your last statement that being up all night/day on the wards/in the OR is much more exhausting than writing a paper, studying, etc.

I call BS. No one stands for 15 hours straight without sitting, that would be from 5:00am to 10:00pm without sitting down to check labs, to chart, during rounds, at the nurses station, between cases, during meals, to urinate, etc. and I've never heard of a 15 hour case that wasn't a ridiculously complicated transplant surgery or something.

I agree with your last statement that being up all night/day on the wards/in the OR is much more exhausting than writing a paper, studying, etc.

Thats 17 hours

15 hour long Whipples. (Pancreatic tumors can be tremendously sticky, and since they're so close to major blood vessels, very very difficult to resect.)

15 hour long radical cystectomies with neobladder construction for bladder cancer.

And who can forget those wonderful tibial free flaps that ENT does for H&N reconstruction after jaw cancer? It's not unusual for those to take many, many hours.

Transplant cases aren't the only ones that take a long time - surgical oncology cases can be very long, too. Not only is the resection often more challenging, but (in some cases) the inevitable reconstruction takes forever, too. Not to mention that these are often patients who have failed radiation, so everything inside is either adhesed and/or friable - bleeders abound.

"During meals." I'm assuming that you're not going into surgery or urology. ;)

[And...uh..."15 hours" would actually be from 5 AM to 8 PM. :oops:]

Last edited:
:eek:

Never heard that one before!

Neither had I until the anesthesia rotation. I had been told it was OK to take scrubs home and bring them back (we've got scrub machines, so we basically have to bring them back). By the time I was on those rotations, it was too cold to just wear scrubs + coat to and from the hospital.

You've misunderstood.

15 hour surgeries or no, at the end of each day as a surgical sub-i, I was completely exhausted. When heading home to get my 4-5 hours of sleep before I needed to get back to the hospital, hell no I wasn't going to take time out to change out of scrubs. The arseholes who saw me on the drive home or at the gas station or wherever could think whatever the hell they wanted. (Once worn outside the hospital, I of course would not wear the scrubs back the next day, shirt and tie mandatory on rounds anyway.)

Big difference between that and wearing scrubs at a coffee shop as an MS1 with a stethoscope around your neck while hitting on undergrads. Can we get back to making fun of those guys?

Yeah they do. All the time. Not that common granted but certainly not unheard of. To be fair though, during most (though certainly not all) of these types of cases, the surgeons will take a few minute break at some opportune point in the middle of the case. For example, last time I was in on a liver-kidney transplant, the surgeons took 20 minutes between the liver and the kidney to refresh. That's 20 minutes of extra anesthesia time for the patient but results in better rested surgeons so is a bit of a judgement call on the surgeons' part.

In any case, it's pretty tiring. I worked pretty darn hard as an undergrad and MS1/2, but nothing came close to the fatigue I had on my surgery and medicine rotations. I look to intern year now with the utmost fear and trepidation.

15 hour long Whipples. (Pancreatic tumors can be tremendously sticky, and since they're so close to major blood vessels, very very difficult to resect.)

15 hour long radical cystectomies with neobladder construction for bladder cancer.

And who can forget those wonderful tibial free flaps that ENT does for H&N reconstruction after jaw cancer? It's not unusual for those to take many, many hours.

Transplant cases aren't the only ones that take a long time - surgical oncology cases can be very long, too. Not only is the resection often more challenging, but (in some cases) the inevitable reconstruction takes forever, too. Not to mention that these are often patients who have failed radiation, so everything inside is either adhesed and/or friable - bleeders abound.

"During meals." I'm assuming that you're not going into surgery or urology. ;)

[And...uh..."15 hours" would actually be from 5 AM to 8 PM. :oops:]

Those are pretty exotic procedures, I find it hard to believe you were required to scrub in on more than one of those, and that you didn't sit or leave the OR once the whole time. I guess it's possible a student would get to scrub in on one or two of those and then for some reason not be offered a break to sit on a stool for 5 minutes or eat all day, but I doubt it.

And yes, I am going into surgery. Surgeons eat too. Not superheroes like yourself, but us mere mortals do, when we can.

163 POSTS IN A THREAD WHERE PEOPLE ARE DEBATING SCRUBS!

Cool.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
That's nothing. When I go to the gym and get on the treadmill, instead of the boring ipod or heart monitors, I immediately whip out my stethoscope and monitor my heart directly while running and holding the microphone to the right side of my chest. I accept and trust no other substitute. If I feel generous enough, I may offer to monitor another runner if she happens to be a worthy female specimen. Then when I go to the steam room, I hide my 27" stethoscope in my shorts (no underwear). When the moment is right, I start stretching in a manner as to let the stethoscope to slowly hang down below my shorts and I let it stay that way as long as it will provide me with strategic advantage. Then, when I leave the steam room to take a shower, I don't take any boring bathrobes with me - I put my scrubs and the lab coat instead.

Oh, and I am not in med school yet.

:laugh: that's funny lol

Those are pretty exotic procedures, I find it hard to believe you were required to scrub in on more than one of those, and that you didn't sit or leave the OR once the whole time. I guess it's possible a student would get to scrub in on one or two of those and then for some reason not be offered a break to sit on a stool for 5 minutes or eat all day, but I doubt it.

And yes, I am going into surgery. Surgeons eat too. Not superheroes like yourself, but us mere mortals do, when we can.

<sigh> I had this long response posted, which was lost when SDN blacked out.

- They may be exotic procedures at your hospital, but they're not exotic procedures everywhere. At my institution, they do 3-5 Whipples per week - not per year, as it is elsewhere. I was on an HPB service for about 2 months, and scrubbed in to over a dozen Whipples. The rest were distal pancreatectomies.

Radical cystectomies are also not exotic procedures at my hospital either. They do probably 2-3 cystectomies per week here.

- Students don't always get a break. In a difficult Whipple, the surgeons may be so engrossed in what they are doing that they forget to take a break. Sometimes they take one, but don't offer one to students. It happens.

Even when I did get a break, I didn't sit. The break was supposed to be pretty short, so I'd dash in, chug a cup of juice or milk, then run back into the OR. If it were a "slow" case, then I'd take a minute to pee. That's it.

Especially as a sub-I, though, if your chief doesn't take a break (and many will refuse), you feel a little weird taking one yourself.

- I don't know how your clerkship is set up, but as a resident and as a sub-I, you won't always eat. As a sub-I, I spent 3 consecutive days scrubbed in to cases that were all >8 hours long (one was 14 hours, one was 12, and one was 9). After the cases, I still had to do some floor work. Each of those days, I didn't eat anything until 6 PM or later.

Granted, my hospital has a reputation for having very difficult and work-intensive rotations. I don't know how yours is, but a lot of the clerkships at the neighboring schools are ridiculously easy in comparison.

When you do your 4th year rotations, I would recommend trying to find a program with the highest volume, and that has a reputation for running its students hard (i.e. treating them like actual interns). Some surgery sub-Is are almost unbelievably easy, and that's not doing its students any favors.

oh my gawd.

Fine, you all work so hard that you are justified in not changing out of your scrubs before you leave the hospital. You are NOT justified in driving around with your stethoscope dangling form your rearview mirror, or for hitting on undergrads with said stethoscope around your neck in the library.

Whatever your story, I dislike all of you.

You guys are getting off topic.

People who wear scrubs outside the hospital are TOOLS, plain and simple. It doesn't make me angry. Myself and the rest of the world is laughing at you.

You are NOT justified in driving around with your stethoscope dangling form your rearview mirror, or for hitting on undergrads with said stethoscope around your neck in the library.

No?!? :(

But how else do you expect me to find dates, when I can't let my stethoscope do all the talking for me? You expect me to actually be witty, and funny, and charming, all on my own?!

What a cruel world.

You guys are getting off topic.

People who wear scrubs outside the hospital are TOOLS, plain and simple. It doesn't make me angry. Myself and the rest of the world is laughing at you.

That too. Whether you care or not is a different story.

Having "no time" to change is not a justification. As all med students, we ADJUST quite well. Many of us adjusted to having to put on a tie in the morning, using military time, not wearing a ring on a finger, writing legibly, keeping fingernails trimmed... Whatever. These things become habits and we eventually do them without much thought. If you want, you'll adjust to the 8 seconds required to pull a drawstring, let gravity do its thing, slip on some jeans, etc etc. Do it for a week, and you'll adjust to it, and not give it a second thought from then on. Its just a matter of not putting importance to it.

And I dont care if jeans chafe you.

Last edited:

But how else do you expect me to find dates, when I can't let my stethoscope do all the talking for me? You expect me to actually be witty, and funny, and charming, all on my own?!

What a cruel world.

well ;)

What a cruel world.

:laugh: We all have to learn eventually. :cool:

That too. Whether you care or not is a different story.

Having "no time" to change is not a justification. As all med students, we ADJUST quite well. Many of us adjusted to having to put on a tie in the morning, using military time, not wearing a ring on a finger, writing legibly, keeping fingernails trimmed... Whatever. These things become habits and we eventually do them without much thought. If you want, you'll adjust to the 8 seconds required to pull a drawstring, let gravity do its thing, slip on some jeans, etc etc. Do it for a week, and you'll adjust to it, and not give it a second thought from then on. Its just a matter of not putting importance to it.

And I dont care if jeans chafe you.

And guess what, I dont give a damn whether you like scrubs or not. I'm not wearing anything but scrubs to work if I can help it. I hate ties and dress shirts, they are uncomfortable and I hate ironing. So you wear what you want and I'll wear what I want. Judge me if you want, I don't give a ****. If I cared about what every pretentious douchebag in medicine thought, I'd probably need a rx for xanax.

Unbelievable, medstudents are such self righteous know-it-all pricks that we've let a conversation about scrubs go on for 175 posts.

anyone experience the people who wear their school ID badges all over the place when not at school? (Bars especially, on weekends, to pick up the dry cleaning...).

I am SO guilty of accidental, everywhere badge wearing. In my case, it's because my bus pass is physically attached to my school badge, meaning that if I want to go to the mall, the bar, etc. my badge is coming right along with me. It also doesn't help that I lose things constantly - making me terrified of losing that pricey pass if it isn't physically attached to my body...

And guess what, I dont give a damn whether you like scrubs or not. I'm not wearing anything but scrubs to work if I can help it. I hate ties and dress shirts, they are uncomfortable and I hate ironing. So you wear what you want and I'll wear what I want. Judge me if you want, I don't give a ****. If I cared about what every pretentious douchebag in medicine thought, I'd probably need a rx for xanax.

Unbelievable, medstudents are such self righteous know-it-all pricks that we've let a conversation about scrubs go on for 175 posts.

No, this thread continues because some folks have a personal reason for posting on it..... I wasnt picking on you, I was refering to my own post about how I find scrub tops to be uncomfortable... so anyones jeans being uncomfortable gets little sympathy from me. But, the psych docs have this thing called 'delusion of reference'... anyway.... as I was saying....

this thread continues because 1. we're having fun, and 2. some people have a "story" that they want to tell that relates to this light and inane topic. yours is about dermatological problems, smq123's is about atypically strong operative experience, and mine is about raw underarms, a frozen stethoscope.... and I'll add another one:
One weekend, a bunch of us forcibly kidnapped a couple of the other guys from the hospital at 10pm, and dragged them to the bar in scrubs. Yes, they got significantly more attention than usual.

Anyway, stop acting out, and realize that the only reason for your idea of comfort as being scrubs, and not fuzzy pajamas or sweats, or bunny slippers, is because you're a med student.

eh it's usually pretty obvious when someone is wearing their identifying items in order to broadcast their status.

fortunately that doesnt happen at my school i dont think. everyone seems to have their head on straight in that department at least.

also i wouldnt want to broadcast that im an MS-anything. i'm as useless as tits on a boar and everyone, including myself, knows it. I even get the sense that most non-medical people my age know how unimpressive med students are. I tire of being a student i want to be useful finally..

Anyway, stop acting out, and realize that the only reason for your idea of comfort as being scrubs, and not fuzzy pajamas or sweats, or bunny slippers, is because you're a med student.

Now that is absolute nonsense. I am wearing sweats right now, not scrubs, the reason being it's cold and scrubs aren't all that great when you are trying to stay warm. Now in the summer they are fantastic because they aren't that hot. Being a medstudent has absolutely nothing to do with it.

My personal favorite is these people who use the "it's comfortable" excuse. I love that. I have no problem falling asleep in jeans. I lounge around the house in shorts. If scrubs were REALLY as comfortable as you tools make them out to be, then you'd have every layperson going out and buying a pair to wear all the time (much like those stupid "UGH boots" girls love so much). Here's my list so far:

1) They're comfortable
2) I didn't have time to change
3) I'm socially inept at starting conversations and need to use my status as a medical student to get attention from the public.

I'd say the true reason why most people wear them in public is #3.

3) I'm socially inept at starting conversations and need to use my status as a medical student to get attention from the public.

But when standing in a bar saturday midnight wearing scrubs isn't there a risk most specimens of the opposite gender won't know what it is and just assume you're wearing very ugly clothes :confused:

My personal favorite is these people who use the "it's comfortable" excuse. I love that. I have no problem falling asleep in jeans. I lounge around the house in shorts. If scrubs were REALLY as comfortable as you tools make them out to be, then you'd have every layperson going out and buying a pair to wear all the time (much like those stupid "UGH boots" girls love so much). Here's my list so far:

1) They're comfortable

If they aren't comfortable, why would I wear them around the house? If it was all a facade to get girls in the sack (which my wife probably wouldn't appreciate) wouldn't I just put them on to leave the house so that people could see me? I also tend to bring a pair of scrub pants when I travel overseas for pjs because they are light and easy to pack. I guess I am really just trying to show off to native peoples how awesome I am:rolleyes:

And again, what about scrubs would make people think you are a doctor? Everyday when I drive by the bus stop by the medical center I see several people wearing scrubs. They aren't doctors or medstudents, they are probably techs or nurses who also realize scrubs are pretty comfortable.

And why would I change out of scrubs to walk to my car and drive home? Seriously? So that some douchebag medstudent doesn't glare at me and think that I am trying to show off? Seriously, the opinion of anyone judging me for wearing a pair of scrubs isn't something I'd lose sleep over.

If you want to bitch about a lame fashion statement, bitch about those dbags that pop their collars.

1) They're comfortable

I love scrubs and Uggs. I'm wearing Uggs right now because my Raynaud's had made my toes numb and they keep my feet warm (I'd wear gloves, but it's too hard to type).

The Costco on Maui sold scrubs for a while, and their stock were always running low because the lay people would buy them. I saw some people at the beach with them because who cares if they get too dirty (and no, they weren't swimming in them).

If they aren't comfortable, why would I wear them around the house? If it was all a facade to get girls in the sack (which my wife probably wouldn't appreciate) wouldn't I just put them on to leave the house so that people could see me? I also tend to bring a pair of scrub pants when I travel overseas for pjs because they are light and easy to pack. I guess I am really just trying to show off to native peoples how awesome I am:rolleyes:

And again, what about scrubs would make people think you are a doctor? Everyday when I drive by the bus stop by the medical center I see several people wearing scrubs. They aren't doctors or medstudents, they are probably techs or nurses who also realize scrubs are pretty comfortable.

And why would I change out of scrubs to walk to my car and drive home? Seriously? So that some douchebag medstudent doesn't glare at me and think that I am trying to show off? Seriously, the opinion of anyone judging me for wearing a pair of scrubs isn't something I'd lose sleep over.

If you want to bitch about a lame fashion statement, bitch about those dbags that pop their collars.

I agree with you, especially with collar popping. Can we add layered polo shirts to that?

Then you aren't one of the tools in question. I dunno, maybe you are a tool. But not because you use scrubs as PJs when you travel abroad. You are forgiven, my child.

I love scrubs and Uggs. I'm wearing Uggs right now because my Raynaud's had made my toes numb and they keep my feet warm (I'd wear gloves, but it's too hard to type).

The Costco on Maui sold scrubs for a while, and their stock were always running low because the lay people would buy them. I saw some people at the beach with them because who cares if they get too dirty (and no, they weren't swimming in them).

I agree with you, especially with collar popping. Can we add layered polo shirts to that?

If you wore gloves on your feet, why would it be hard to type?

I dunno about Maui, but round here, a set of scrubs is more expensive then a track suit or sweatsuit.

I second the layered polo problem.

If you wore gloves on your feet, why would it be hard to type?

I dunno about Maui, but round here, a set of scrubs is more expensive then a track suit or sweatsuit.

I second the layered polo problem.

har har

Scrubs were $15 at Costco. Cheaper than the sweat pants and track suits (sold at Champs and Sports Authority). That's when I bought lots to wear at work. Maui's social scene revolves around Costco. Whenever something new comes in, just about everyone on the island buys it.

That's right!!! VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!!:woot: LOL

Okay I am going to change the angle of my argument. It is okay that you think people who where scrubs outside of the hospital are douchebags. Its okay that you laugh at them. Me, personally, I love to laugh, so I would be happy that I could bring laughter into someones life. But for you guys that really expect the people who wear scrubs to care that you are laughing at them, I say get over yourselves. What makes your opinion matter to someone else if they don't know and respect you, unless that opinion contains really good advice like I don't think you should drive on that bridge it's about to collapse? Chances are if we are not trying to wear the trendiet fashion we have in our closets every chance we get to leave the house in this materialistic society that we live in, we really don't care that someone is busting a gut because we have on scrubs.

If you don't care that we wear scrubs becasue we think they are comfortable, what makes you think that we care that you don't approve of us wearing scrubs outside of the hospital? Why should your opinion matter to me more than my own? <----------- Seriously, could someone please answer this...

What-Not-To-Wear-what-not-to-wear-268252_450_330.jpg

Problem solved.

You people are funny...arguing about scrub pants (granted that I didn't read the whole thread so there could be some other stuff in there). Hell, I'm happy if I remember to put pants on in the morning sometimes. Half of the time I study in my boxers and don't go to school for days. Unfortunately today isn't one of those days. I "get" to put on my Sunday best with the glorious short coat and go talk to pts about their rheumatic diseases...woohoo! :cool:

Don't you guys need to study some path or write some H&Ps or whatever it is that non-toolish people do when they aren't wearing scrubs or their short coat. :rolleyes:

If you don't care that we wear scrubs becasue we think they are comfortable, what makes you think that we care that you don't approve of us wearing scrubs outside of the hospital? Why should your opinion matter to me more than my own? <----------- Seriously, could someone please answer this...

Oh.... Maybe because you dont wear scrubs because you think they are comfortable. You wear scrubs because they make you look like a doctor, and get you attention.

and what does wearing a tie and slacks tell people? personally I think dressing up like that draws far more 'look at me' attention than a pair of scrubs. a tie says 'look I am a professional and probably make more money than you, whereas scrubs just says 'i work in a hospital'

As an M1, I have a white coat for anatomy lab, and it lives in my locker, except the few times I stuffed it into a walmart bag to take home and clean.

I wear scrubs to and from the lab, but I usually go in at night when the traffic is minimal.

I also *gasp* get a coffee at the coffee shop near the lab either on the way there or home in my scrubs. I guess that makes me a tool ;)

Oh well.

It's all good dude. I find that stuff annoying too but just let it be. In another couple years (if that long), most of your classmates will be over it and another group of newbie medical students will take over with their in-your-face enthusiasm. It gets plenty more annoying from there. Welcome to medicine.