OMG im so sick of these people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And so it goes...:bang:

Members don't see this ad.

To answer Ashers post it doesn't. I'm not saying that it does. I'm saying that some people seem to think so highly of themselves that they feel their opinion should supersede everyone else's and everyone should hold their opinion in higher regard than their own. But that is just not in this thread that's everywhere, even outside of cyber space. So I guess I just wanted that question answered in general.

To howelljolly, I did not know you were a mind reader. Can you tell me if I will win the lotto? I've been thinking about play my parents' birthday, am I just waisting my time or should I go for it?

Disclaimer: I hope that everyone realizes my posts are in good fun and just for the sport of debating. I don't expect to change my view on this subject because of what other people post and I don't expect anyone to change their view on the subject because of what I post. After all it's just ****ing cotton!!!!! I do love cotton though...it's the fabric of our lives.

Answer me this: Do you wear t-shirts with your school logo on it?

I did but I gave it to an Indonesian doctor I worked with. So what? I also wear shirts with my ugrad logo on it. GODFORBID PEOPLE KNOW I WENT (and go) TO A PUBLIC SCHOOL! OH THE ELITISM!

I generally like your posts but you are ******ed on this issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be too late in the thread to get any responses from this, but I often wear scrub bottoms for playing sports because I was so tired of scraping my knees up when sliding in football or softball. Do you guys feel that this is inappropriate?

I can't really wear jeans because I don't want to tear them up and sweats are really uncomfortable. I always thought scrubs were perfect for this application. If not, maybe someone can give me some advice for pants that are good for sports, comfortable, not too expensive, but don't look like you're wearing tights? I know this isn't the fashion advice network, but maybe someone has found a solution to this problem.

It might be too late in the thread to get any responses from this, but I often wear scrub bottoms for playing sports because I was so tired of scraping my knees up when sliding in football or softball. Do you guys feel that this is inappropriate?

There's nothing wrong with wearing just the pants. Nobody knows what the pants alone are. It's the tools who wear the full scrub outfit that we are laughing at.

There's nothing wrong with wearing just the pants. Nobody knows what the pants alone are. It's the tools who wear the full scrub outfit that we are laughing at.

NO!

Its the tools who wear the full scrub set, and then go to happy hour, that we're laughing at.

Its the ones that go to Barnes and Noble with a stack of books and First Aid for Step1 spread open on the opposite side of the table, with 4 different colored highlighters in their hands, and a stethoscope on their neck ,that we're laughing at.

And actually this is so stupid that Im not laughing any more.

Im crying.

NO!

Its the tools who wear the full scrub set, and then go to happy hour, that we're laughing at.

Its the ones that go to Barnes and Noble with a stack of books and First Aid for Step1 spread open on the opposite side of the table, with 4 different colored highlighters in their hands, and a stethoscope on their neck ,that we're laughing at.

Im crying.
I gotta say, from a neutral standpoint, that post was brilliant! :laugh:

NO!

Im crying.

If we are talking full scrub set than we are in agreement. I never wear a scrub top, just bottoms.

If we are talking full scrub set than we are in agreement. I never wear a scrub top, just bottoms.

Alright. Glad we got to the bottom of this.

I saw a guy in the gym with the scrubs top on today. I'm not going to lie it pissed me off- and I thought he looked like an ass. sorry to offend anyone but I hate the public wearing of scrubs.

NOTHING wrong with wearing school clothes though. I dont know what else I would wear, all of my clothes are from my undergrad baseball team...

I saw a guy in the gym with the scrubs top on today. I'm not going to lie it pissed me off- and I thought he looked like an ass.

Wow, seriously...who the F cares? So the dude was probably a 3rd year or resident who wanted to get in a couple-mile run before commuting home, but didn't bring a T-shirt in that day. Why does he look like an ass? I see plenty of folks in the gym exercising in scrubs. They're free, they're a snap to clean, and they're comfortable. Why does it get you so pissed off? How does it make you look like an ass?

If I'm walking back to the garage in the afternoon to get my car and commute home after being on overnight call during my surgery rotation and I happen to be wearing scrubs because I am too tired to change, and I pass you on the street on the way, are you going to get pissed off and call me an ass? :rolleyes:

I agree that scrubs are unacceptable in certain situations (at the bar?? WTF??), but on campus, near the hospital, at the school gym, walking home, etc. - what's the big deal? Why get pissed off just because someone else is wearing scrubs? You are likely to spend a decent portion of your 3rd and 4th year in scrubs. On certain rotations, wearing scrubs is pretty much expected of you. On others, it is optional. If your scrubs are clean, why should you have to change just to go home and change again?

It's much better when they have graphic anatomy textbooks open on the tables and everyone walks by and cringes, and the med student has no clue as to why the neighboring tables remain empty.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's much better when they have graphic anatomy textbooks open on the tables and everyone walks by and cringes, and the med student has no clue as to why the neighboring tables remain empty.

Shows how much you know!
The true toolbags sit there with RADIOLOGY textbooks open in front of them, tilted up a bit. This way, the babes can peg them as medical types from the line while they're waiting to order their half-caf latte with soy milk and two Splendas. Then, if they come and sit at the next table yonder, they wont be horrified by the illustrations, and its easier to strike up a conversation.
oh Im so lonely

Shows how much you know!
The true toolbags sit there with RADIOLOGY textbooks open in front of them, tilted up a bit. This way, the babes can peg them as medical types from the line while they're waiting to order their half-caf latte with soy milk and two Splendas. Then, if they come and sit at the next table yonder, they wont be horrified by the illustrations, and its easier to strike up a conversation.
oh Im so lonely
MoAr!

:D

No, no. Dermatology textbooks.

Because nothing reels in the ladies like huge color photos of keloids the size of a head of broccoli, or the world's worst psoriasis.

OMG I'm so sick of....

....anyone who cares what kind of shirts other people have on.

Oh first years, your so cute. Soon your souls will be sucked away.

Ladywolverine- I don't want some dude smearing MRSA and whatever other resistant viruses and bacteria that he picked up at the hospital all over the gym equipment that I am going to use.

He looks like an ass because he is wearing scrubs in the gym. Everyone else in the gym manages to get changed appropriately.

By the way- walking home/driving home in your scrubs is completely different than frolicking around in them...

I can't really wear jeans because I don't want to tear them up and sweats are really uncomfortable. I always thought scrubs were perfect for this application. If not, maybe someone can give me some advice for pants that are good for sports, comfortable, not too expensive, but don't look like you're wearing tights? I know this isn't the fashion advice network, but maybe someone has found a solution to this problem.

My suggestion

Shows how much you know!
oh Im so lonely

No way man. Here's what happens if you use Radiology textbooks.

Chick: Hey, are you going to be a radiologist.
Me: Yeah, I hope so.
Chick: That's awesome. My best friend is a radiologist.
Me: Oh yeah? What kind?
Chick: Um, I dunno, she works in the hospital though.
Me: Where'd she go to school?
Chick: She went to (insert name of local community college). I'm thinking of becoming a radiologist too. It's only a couple years!

^ haha good stuff

Ive seen several of them wearing white coats around campus on days we dont have interviews.

I had a little free time and checked out some local hangout area and I ran into someone in my class that was walking around with a stethoscope around his neck.

In the first case, just because there isn't anything patient-based that you are going to, doesn't mean they haven't set something up outside of what's required. I've spent a decent amount of time shadowing docs on and off campus when it wasn't required just b/c I wanted to. I am small and female so I get cold easily... it would be ridiculous to bring another jacket to wear over my scrubs or my fancy outfit (depending on what I'm up to) so that I could keep warm in between the times where I don't need to wear the white coat. It'd be just another thing to have to haul around. So you can't always assume that someone isn't actually headed to do something medically related. If they have no such excuse, then I agree. I just don't think you can always presume to know their reason or lack thereof for wearing the white coat.

On the stethoscope thing... I think they are heavy and they hurt my neck. I can imagine that the only reason a person would wear it outside of a hospital would be to show off... so I agree there. I can't think of anyone in my class who remotely resembles this, so maybe this is one of those elitist school things where the students are extra proud and think they are super awesome.

Oh lord. Scrubs with your name on them are even sadder. :laugh:
Unless you're an EM physician who wears scrubs to work every single day. I actually think one of the community hospitals around here requires their EM docs to wear a specific set of dark navy blue scrubs with their name, MD/DO, and the institution sewn on it.

Absolutely agree. I think there was a small period in my life when I was terribly impressed with myself for getting into medical school, but it was gone long before first year was over.
I'm still quite impressed with myself for getting into med school, but I long learned that no one else gives a **it.

The latter is really only going to work if you're a firefighter, paramedic or surgeon. The cops don't care about med students.
Untrue. At least one of my classmates has gotten out of a ticket by stating he was studying for medical school exams.

Rampant narcissism mixed with endemic self-doubt?
:laugh: :thumbup:

On the other hand, it takes little to no effort to take off a white coat and doing so results in improved personal comfort, so the only reason I can see for keeping one on is to specifically point out to those around you that you are a doctor. Thus a white coat around town = high level of douchbag.

Unless maybe it is winter time and you forgot to bring any other form of a jacket? On a windy 30 degree (F) day that I had spent the morning shadowing an EM doc and then immediately went to watch a basketball game with my dad, despite the fact that I had forgotten to bring another coat, I still didn't put on the white coat... so I don't use it as an excuse, but I wouldn't fault someone else for not be willing to tolerate the cold.

So you can't always assume that someone isn't actually headed to do something medically related. I just don't think you can always presume to know their reason or lack thereof for wearing the white coat.
like i had stated in a previous post to my thread, its the extremes that I was talking about in my OP. As in, the same guy wears his white coat almost every day. I highly doubt he's shadowing every single day of the week.

Untrue. At least one of my classmates has gotten out of a ticket by stating he was studying for medical school exams.
yea i agree that it can at times help out. my brother is also in med school and he actually just got out of a ticket about a week ago because he told the cop he was tired from studying for med school all day.

Unless maybe it is winter time and you forgot to bring any other form of a jacket?
the white coats are way too thin to provide any insulation so it would do extremely little to nothing on a windy winter day. especially if its 30 degrees out.

Unless maybe it is winter time and you forgot to bring any other form of a jacket? On a windy 30 degree (F) day that I had spent the morning shadowing an EM doc and then immediately went to watch a basketball game with my dad, despite the fact that I had forgotten to bring another coat, I still didn't put on the white coat... so I don't use it as an excuse, but I wouldn't fault someone else for not be willing to tolerate the cold.

If you dont stick your hand outside in the morning to see if its cold or raining, to decide if you need a coat, or if you dont check the weather report, or if you dont assume its chilly in December and you leave your house with a coat every day, or on a day that you happen to know is 30 degrees... or if worst comes to worst, you step out of your house, and realize its cold before you get to your car, and run back in for your coat....
You are a stupid stupid medical student, and ipso facto, are a tool.

I'm still quite impressed with myself for getting into med school, but I long learned that no one else gives a **it.

haha truer words have never been spoken. Nor should they give a **it

NO!

Im crying.

NO!

Youre still missing the point. Its not the scrub top, or bottom, or stethoscope, or white coat. It is the appropriateness of any one of these items in a given setting; and the motivation for wearing said item.

If you are running into a store in scrubs to grab a coffee at 5am before rounds, nobody cares. If you wear your white coat to the undergrad cafeteria and hit on girls, you are a tool.

You want pure tool?

I know a guy from college who got into a top med school. Like, top-top school. Bully for him, we all know he bought his way in off the waitlist.

So homecoming for college comes around, and this guy decides to come. He rolls up to the tailgates wearing:
1) scrub pants
2) "top-top med school" sweatshirt
3) top-top med school ID around his neck

All I could think was, he's an M1. All he could ever have need for scrub pants is to wear them to anatomy lab. And why on earth is he wearing his ID badge when he's over 100 miles away from his med school?

Of course, this same guy wore his party/bar plastic bracelets from spring break for like two weeks afterwards. I mean, really?

Oh lord. Scrubs with your name on them are even sadder. :laugh:

Why is this a no-no? :confused:

Your white coat has your name on it so why not your scrubs? Especially since I heard med school students steal from each other. :eek:

Why is this a no-no? :confused:

Your white coat has your name on it so why not your scrubs? Especially since I heard med school students steal from each other. :eek:

Because you are turning cheap, expendable, no-frills, hypoalergenic, "I dont have any outside contaminants and Im only wearing this in the OR so I dont get my naughty-bits in the sterile field", attire, into a badge.

If you dont stick your hand outside in the morning to see if its cold or raining, to decide if you need a coat, or if you dont check the weather report, or if you dont assume its chilly in December and you leave your house with a coat every day, or on a day that you happen to know is 30 degrees... or if worst comes to worst, you step out of your house, and realize its cold before you get to your car, and run back in for your coat....
You are a stupid stupid medical student, and ipso facto, are a tool.

While the above poster is a tad harsh, I would personally rather freeze to death than wear my white coat in a public setting(hospital excluded).

Wow, you guys are making me feel ashamed for lots of stuff. One, I do have a pair of scrubs with my name on them, but all the students got them for free from the internal medicine department, so it's not like I bought them or anything. I've got to say I'm guessing almost everyone with similarly embroidered scrubs got them for free from somebody. Two, I've worn scrub pants to a bar after clinic because it seemed wasteful to go home and change. Admittedly, I wasn't hitting on any girls -- does that make it more OK? :confused:

In my defense, I've never worn my white coat anywhere where it wasn't absolutely required because I loathe my white coat. I really can't imagine why anybody would want to wear one.

Because you are turning cheap, expendable, no-frills, hypoalergenic, "I dont have any outside contaminants and Im only wearing this in the OR so I dont get my naughty-bits in the sterile field", attire, into a badge.

Uhm, I also have some cheap softball shirts from teams that I use to play on that have my name on them. When I went away for the summer as a little kid, my mom put name on the labels of my underwear. It's just to identify what belongs to whom. White coats are cheap, but your name is still on them even though you could use your actual badge. I still don't see what the big deal is. :confused:

Also, if I was cold and had no jacket, I'd wear my white coat in public.

Then again, I'm a very practical person.

Fine then get your scrubs embroidered with Billy, or Jenny... not with:

William Smith, BA
Medical Student
Clown College of Medicine

Fine then get your scrubs embroidered with Billy, or Jenny... not with:

William Smith, BA
Medical Student
Clown College of Medicine

Well that's all well and good assuming you get to pick what's embroided on said scrubs. When they're a gift from a job or department or whatever, you get what you get. I'm too lazy to go and check, but it's possible my embroidered scrubs have MS something on them somewhere.

I agree with you on the BA thing, though. Why the heck would anyone opt to put that after their name? It's not a professional designation and honestly means very little. Might as well put high school graduate after your name.

If your school is giving you embroidered scrubs thats a different story.

Im talking about people that pay to get it done.
Those are also the ones that walk into a flouroscopy guided procedure with their own personalized embroidered lead apron.

I don't get why all you scrub-wearing apologists hate your white coats so much. You think scrubs in the gym or at Starbucks are no big deal, but get all high and mighty about the white coat.

Almost all the same arguments made for it being ok to wear your scrubs in public apply to the white coat as well. White coats are cheap, pretty comfortable, lots of carrying room, an extra layer, reflect hot sunlight, highly visible at night, etc., etc. If you embrace public scrub wearing, might as well go for the white coat too.

Can I put "BA, NREMT-P, MICP, MS-IV, Esq." after mine?

You can do whatever the hell you want to do. Everyone should stop worrying so damn much about what people think of what they're doing.

Maybe worrying less about others perceiving you as a "tool" only comes with a little more maturity...

This might be my favorite thread. Don't ruin the fun chimp!

plus the people we are making fun of are the ones wearing scrubs/coats to "impress" others anyways...

I'm not trying to ruin the fun; just inject a little perspective.

I've been equally entertained, so I appreciate the craziness evident in this thread.

internetseriousbusinessbp7.jpg

plus the people we are making fun of are the ones wearing scrubs/coats to "impress" others anyways...

Making fun is great... but it some like some people are downright mad about how people are using their presumed status to pick up chicks, etc... that's what strikes me as crazy.

hey whatever you can do to get laid is alright with me