OMG just got an interview at UIC..what to do?!??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...

I just checked my status on UIC and I was invited for interview. I just don't know if I should go since I have an acceptance to VCU already. The latest interview day is in a week and I'm really stuck. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

UIC is a great place but I see you are a CA resident. OOS tuition at UIC is 50k per year and its nearly impossible to become instate after that. If this sounds doable to you by all means go, its an amazing place. A total student budget of about $75k though is pretty steep.

UIC is a great place but I see you are a CA resident. OOS tuition at UIC is 50k per year and its nearly impossible to become instate after that. If this sounds doable to you by all means go, its an amazing place. A total student budget of about $75k though is pretty steep.

Hey thanks for the reply. Yea thinking about that tuition isn't too fun, but VCU's tuition is just 5k cheaper. I am leaning towards not going, just because it's way too late and I'm not too excited about the school itself. I'm sure it's great, I just don't know enough about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the reply. Yea thinking about that tuition isn't too fun, but VCU's tuition is just 5k cheaper. I am leaning towards not going, just because it's way too late and I'm not too excited about the school itself. I'm sure it's great, I just don't know enough about it.

I'm at UIC now, and I was actually waitlisted at VCU last year. I dropped it because I'm in-state and took the better deal. However, if price were no option, I would have had a really tough time deciding because they're both equal schools in my eyes. I was sad to withdraw from the waitlist because I loved VCU and the area (I'm orginally from NC, and was looking to get back to the Southeast for med school). The patient population there is diverse, so you'll have great clinical years.

Bottom line: unless you desperately want to live in an urban area, you're not missing out on much.

----EDIT---- WHOOPS! you're probably going to end up in Urbana, Rockford, or Peoria, which isn't Chicago at all. Think about that if you're interested in living in those areas.

hey instigata!!!! if you're not too excited about the school itself, don't waste money traveling....you've got vcu's acceptance in hand!!! all set!!! regardless of your decision, congrats on another interview!!!! and whatever happens, it'll be just fine cuz we're both gonna end up at ucsd :laugh:

all the best my friend!

Hey all...

I just checked my status on UIC and I was invited for interview. I just don't know if I should go since I have an acceptance to VCU already. The latest interview day is in a week and I'm really stuck. Any suggestions?

Congrats Instigata!

I also just happen to check my status at UIC and found out that I have been offered an interview but they only have a few spots available next week. I noticed that they have different interview sites. Is the interview day different at Chicago compared to Peoria? Does anyone know what the chances are for requesting a different interview date other than what is available? I am hoping when I call them on Monday that they have something available later on, like in May. Is this just wishful thinking? :D

Congrats Instigata!

I also just happen to check my status at UIC and found out that I have been offered an interview but they only have a few spots available next week. I noticed that they have different interview sites. Is the interview day different at Chicago compared to Peoria? Does anyone know what the chances are for requesting a different interview date other than what is available? I am hoping when I call them on Monday that they have something available later on, like in May. Is this just wishful thinking? :D

yeah i think that is wishful thinking. the interviews are dif at the different locations. at chicago campus its 3 separate interviews 30 min a pop
the rockford location indicated that it was one group interview for 30 min.

also note that altho you may interview at the chicago campus, its full, and you 99.9% chance won't be going there.

Hey all...

if you are from CA and have to pay $75K that is ridiculous. i would rather wait a year and get in somewhere else than rack up that kind of debt.
also, if you don't care about uic much and got in at another school, why waste the money on airfare + hotel. unless u have some friends here, then chicago nitelife is pretty bumpin.
also note that the chicago campus is full, so if accepted, you most most probably will be attended at rockford or peoria.

Hey all...

hey instigata and windansea (love this name, fave spot for some of my friends), just a little friendly advice from a fellow californian...first, keep in mind that some people offering you advice may be those who are still eagerly waiting for UIC decisions themselves, i'm not naming any names :D second, i don't know how much more expensive UIC would be than the acceptances you already have, but i encourage you to go to the UIC webpage or even look up some UIC threads to see if this school fits you (hope this helps, i see your time to decide is limited). none of us really knows each others financial situations, so i just think it would be in your best interest to do a bit more research into the school before making that final decision to go or not. congrats on your invites and :luck: to you guys

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I have decided not to go for a variety of reasons, so hopefully somebody who wants it more can get it.

Thanks HreComesTheSun for the info.
The only negative factor I have found about UIC is the financial issue that goes with being an OOS. I have not decided yet if I'm going but I will by tomorrow. :D