OMM Anatomy vs Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPlainBill

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
<RANT MODE ON>
Does your OMM department frequently get anatomical structures/names wrong or completely backwards from standard anatomy? I mean simple things like saying the deltoid initiates arm abduction through the first 15 degrees, or that the latissimus dorsi originates on the humerus, or that the piriformis inserts on the greater tubercle....you know what I mean. It's annoying and when it's pointed out, the response is,"Well, it's different in clinical anatomy".:eek:
</RANT MODE OFF>

Members don't see this ad.

Does your OMM department frequently get anatomical structures/names wrong or completely backwards from standard anatomy?

Nope.

But there is a difference between static and dynamic anatomy. Most anatomists that teach gross lab dont have the type of training in dynamic anatomy that most physicians (especially DOs) have.

The ones that are thoroughly trained in both are "scary good" when it comes to understanding, applying and teaching anatomy.

Nope.

But there is a difference between static and dynamic anatomy. Most anatomists that teach gross lab dont have the type of training in dynamic anatomy that most physicians (especially DOs) have.

The ones that are thoroughly trained in both are "scary good" when it comes to understanding, applying and teaching anatomy.

I hear you. We've got some clinicians (I can't get too specific w/o identifying the school) teaching gross anatomy here and frequently we
get surgeons of all types dropping in to help teach/etc. during our
gross anatomy lab sessions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you. We've got some clinicians (I can't get too specific w/o identifying the school) teaching gross anatomy here and frequently we
get surgeons of all types dropping in to help teach/etc. during our
gross anatomy lab sessions.

I always like hearing surgeons opinions in gross anatomy lab. They bring a unique perspective.

"I know in a live human it doesnt look like this..."

That sort of thing.

I always like hearing surgeons opinions in gross anatomy lab. They bring a unique perspective.

"I know in a live human it doesnt look like this..."

That sort of thing.

And you always want to ask them if they got into a surgery residency on the basis of their sharp observations.....:D