OMM Clinical rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

I had the toughest decision determining if I wanted to attend an osteopathic or allopathic medical school. In the end, an allopathic school won based on location, I was impressed with the teaching hospital, and the fact they have embraced a more holistic approach to medicine than other MD schools.

That being said, I am still interested in learning OMM. The DOs working at my hospital said they have heard of MD students doing rotations to learn/practice OMM at DO schools, yet I haven't found anything to support this. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, where should I be looking?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is absolutely possible. I know of several MD students, residents and even attendings who have spent time with DOs who use OMT in an effort to become proficient.

I would suggest calling the closest DO school and speaking with the chairperson of the OMM Department about this. Perhaps you can spend time there or they can even give you the name and contact information for a clinician who is closer to you.

On a personal note, I would rather spend the extra time working with an MD student willing to learn than with DO students who are looking at their OMM course as an annoyance. And believe me, there are plenty of those.

This is absolutely possible. I know of several MD students, residents and even attendings who have spent time with DOs who use OMT in an effort to become proficient.

Great! But would I be able to legally 'practice' OMT on patients? I didn't know if this was apart of the COMLEX or if students became certified in this through the DO cirriculum.

Thanks for the information - I would ultimately like to implement this technique as a part of my patient care as needed...

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! But would I be able to legally 'practice' OMT on patients? I didn't know if this was apart of the COMLEX or if students became certified in this through the DO cirriculum.

Thanks for the information - I would ultimately like to implement this technique as a part of my patient care as needed...

As of now there are no rules regarding who can bill for OMT. MDs can legally bill for OMT. Being trained in manual therapy would certainly increase your chances of having repeat patients though. ;)

As of now there are no rules regarding who can bill for OMT. MDs can legally bill for OMT. Being trained in manual therapy would certainly increase your chances of having repeat patients though. ;)

I agree - I had an injury a couple of years ago that baffled several docs. All they did was take X-rays and give NSAIDs to no avail. After about two years, I randomly saw a DO FP doc and he asked more questions, actually touched my back, did a "bear hug" maneuver to test range of motion and realligned my spine! This greatly improved my pain and I've had no compaints ever since. He is now the only Family Doctor I'll go to and inspired me to learn this art of medicine that I feel is neglected in most schools.

Thanks for your advice - I'll look into shadowing a DO and/or doing an OMT rotation.

I agree - I had an injury a couple of years ago that baffled several docs. All they did was take X-rays and give NSAIDs to no avail. After about two years, I randomly saw a DO FP doc and he asked more questions, actually touched my back, did a "bear hug" maneuver to test range of motion and realligned my spine! This greatly improved my pain and I've had no compaints ever since. He is now the only Family Doctor I'll go to and inspired me to learn this art of medicine that I feel is neglected in most schools.

Thanks for your advice - I'll look into shadowing a DO and/or doing an OMT rotation.

DOs...the doctor who hugs you. :laugh: