Feb 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hey gs and gals,

This is my first post, pretty long forum creeper.

Just had a quick concern that maybe someone could some insight into.

My school, KYCOM, has OMM/GrossLab Fellowships available during OMS3/4 years. It would last a year long, which could be broken up into 2 six months pieces and TA/instruct both classes. As a future (hopefully) general surgeon, I feel like the gross anatomy component would be invaluable knowledge for the specialty and the OMM information I really enjoy a lot.

My only hesitation would be that it pushes graduation back a year. Would this opportunity be worth the time investment versus delayed graduation?

Thanks a ton! Wish you all the best!

DocVapor

Big Schwartz
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2012
Combing the desert
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Have you taken Step 1 yet? I'm only a first year but I feel like if you scored well on step 1 (USMLE) than you'd probably be better off not taking the extra year. Surgical residencies are long enough as it is, especially if you go to fellowship. If you haven't taken the step yet, I guess you'd just need to gauge your confidence on it.

When do you need to apply for the fellowship? Can you wait till after your step? What kind of tuition/stipend is involved? An extra year of deferment on your loans can turn into a lot of money later.

joeDO2

7+ Year Member
May 18, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you will get all the anatomy you need i'm sure in your residency. the omm is nice if you enjoy it but realistically most general surgeons do not have the time to utilize those skills. this is combination with essentially losing a year of attending salary would make the decision easy i would think.

OP
S
Feb 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Have you taken Step 1 yet? I'm only a first year but I feel like if you scored well on step 1 (USMLE) than you'd probably be better off not taking the extra year. Surgical residencies are long enough as it is, especially if you go to fellowship. If you haven't taken the step yet, I guess you'd just need to gauge your confidence on it.

When do you need to apply for the fellowship? Can you wait till after your step? What kind of tuition/stipend is involved? An extra year of deferment on your loans can turn into a lot of money later.
Havent taken step 1 yet. I'm currently a 1st year like yourself. And I'd have to apply before I took Step 1. I'm currently studying for it alongside my coursework.

The long residencies was definitely one of my hesitations. And I didn't consider the tuition or stipends, nor did I really consider the loan deferment.

I guess I'll get some more information regarding those issues from the division chair.

Thanks a bunch!

OP
S
Feb 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
you will get all the anatomy you need i'm sure in your residency. the omm is nice if you enjoy it but realistically most general surgeons do not have the time to utilize those skills. this is combination with essentially losing a year of attending salary would make the decision easy i would think.
The salary loss is the biggest turn off for sure.

preDoGuy24

7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Havent taken step 1 yet. I'm currently a 1st year like yourself. And I'd have to apply before I took Step 1. I'm currently studying for it alongside my coursework.

The long residencies was definitely one of my hesitations. And I didn't consider the tuition or stipends, nor did I really consider the loan deferment.

I guess I'll get some more information regarding those issues from the division chair.

Thanks a bunch!
Not worth it to be better at anatomy, most of these positions I have known people go into has been because they either 1. Really wanted to learn OMM better w/o a post residency fellowship, or 2. Did not match and want to delay graduation to audition/rotate at more places and try again.

OMM anatomy does not necessarily equal surgical anatomy fyi.

Your loans will not go into deferrment (will collect interest), though the program will probably pay tuition/stipend for the year that is still 10k? ish in extra interest + the 250-500 you could lose out on as a attending surgeon.

Question should be, is learning OMM for an extra 6 months worth delaying graduation and losing over a quarter of a million dollars.

Feb 14, 2013
Status
Hey gs and gals,

This is my first post, pretty long forum creeper.

Just had a quick concern that maybe someone could some insight into.

My school, KYCOM, has OMM/GrossLab Fellowships available during OMS3/4 years. It would last a year long, which could be broken up into 2 six months pieces and TA/instruct both classes. As a future (hopefully) general surgeon, I feel like the gross anatomy component would be invaluable knowledge for the specialty and the OMM information I really enjoy a lot.

My only hesitation would be that it pushes graduation back a year. Would this opportunity be worth the time investment versus delayed graduation?

Thanks a ton! Wish you all the best!
So you'll make a six figure income one year later but you'll learn gross anatomy? I wouldn't do it for that price.

Charlie Hustle

Scut Monkey
Dec 11, 2011
The Bluegrass State
Status
Medical Student
There's more to life than money. There's more to medicine than making money. The loans will get paid off one way or another, so I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor. Ultimately, it's your education - not any of our's. You still have plenty of time to make a decision, so I would encourage you to talk to your attendings and the current fellows to get some more insight.