1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

OMM hours?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Student247, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Which schools place more emphasis on manual treatments (OMM)? How many hours on average?

regards,
    Student247

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OsteoMed02

OsteoMed02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi there,

I will be a first year student at MSUCOM and although I cannot give you an exact answer to your question, I hope I can offer you some advice that may help. We begin OMM in our first semester and continue throughout our first two years. Our third and fourth years are for clinical rotations, of course, but I do believe that you can opt to do OMM as an elective rotation. We have both lecture and lab on OMM (you have two hours/week in the lab but I was told that you should practice a lot more outside of class if you are to get really good at it) and there is ample time to use the lab and practice with your classmates. Also, MSUCOM has a student group called the UAAO (Undergraduate American Academy of Osteopathy) and they sponsor workshops, conventions, and allow members to take advanced courses in OMM (i.e. craniosacral therapy, etc.). I hope that this shed some light on your question. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Good luck,
    Julia

4. Fenrezz

Fenrezz AT Stills Worst Nightmare
    7+ Year Member

OSU does 2 hours of lab a week along with 1 hour of lecture. I'm guessing most schools will be somewhere along that line. With so much basic science to cover there isn't enough hours in the week already.

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PCOM

First year, first trimester: (so far)

1.5 hours per week in the lab
    3-5 hours of OPP lecture, depending on the week

6. DOtobe

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    LECOM, Years 1 and 2: