OMM Lab Question.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DODODO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if anybody who has gone through OMM could answer exactly how "naked" we need to get in labs. Also, for those of us who don't like people touching us is it going to be a problem. I mean, are the dudes in their jockeys during lab?? Do people practice on their partners w/ clothes on? Just curious. Specifically looking for answers from students from CCOM or DMU

thx

Members don't see this ad.

At my school we all wear scrubs & some weeks we go shirtless, with the women wearing sports bras. Some schools do shorts instead of scrubs.

You'll have to get used to touching other people & having other people touching you. Its really not that big of a deal.

Get used to touching people....
Youre in the wrong profession if you cant get over your insecurities.
stomper

Members don't see this ad :)
to answer your question...pretty naked. nobody should be in jockey shorts, but you may see some athletic shorts, and you will have to deal with no t-shirts and sports bras, etc. after day 1, it wont be a problem.

I'm not sure why people are being hard on this poster. Let's face it, most of us were pretty uncomfortable with touching our partners early in the OMM process. I know that when I performed my first ischial tuberosity spread, I was blushing a bit. ;)

DODODO - The best piece of advice that I received was from a doctor and OMM professor at my school. He told us that by the end of medical school you will have touched nearly every area of the human body inside and out. You will learn to be comfortable with it. It's just part of being a doctor (and that's MD or DO).

Good luck... I'm sure that you'll do just fine.

The insecurity for me isn't about touching someone else, but having someone else touch me. I've had physical insecurities ALL my life- they don't go away easily. In fact, I doubt mine will ever go away. The only reason I suck it up and go with the flow is because I know someone needs to learn FROM me, and I vice-versa.

Dr_Sax

Sorry if Ive offended some....we all have some physical insecurities....yes even those of us who have "sculpted bodies" and are in the gym 6days a week, one of the reasons Im there so often :) but that is how I deal with it. My reference to the OP was in the way it was implied with "dudes in their jockeys"....it sounded as a sexual overtone. If that is the case, then you really need to grow up. If I was mistaken, I apologize. Most of medicine has touching, and you better get comfortable with it, or I would hate to see you on your rotations when you have to deliver your first baby...which could easily happen on your 1st or 2nd day of rotations.
stomper

Stomper, you meat head monkey. Its your old OMM partner, Silverballs. How the hell are ya! I agree with your statements concerning Omm lab, but what do you think about people that flex their muscles during Omm???Those monkeys!!;)

People that flex are cool.....but one must always remember to do the saying while flexing....."You may Tri to get Bi, but youre gonna get Trapped"....those people rock....hey dude...PM me and let me how the rots are going...
stomper....aka "Guns"

Guys...just make sure you don't get too perky when the hot chick in OMM lab is "working" on you.

You know, I've never seen that happen in OMM, but it would make lab a lot more interesting!;) :eek:

DMU OMM dresscode is athletic shorts and t-shirts. no nakedness.

How long is the OMM class? One semester?

Isn't it 2 years in all the DO schools?

LECOM is also 2 years.

AT UHS, we wear shorts and T-shirts until it is time to begin lab....then we just wear shorts, the gals wearing the same plus sports bra.

We also get two years of OPP.

It is a little tough in the beginning with being comfortable but no sweat....soon you won't think twice about it

-C