OMM - Osteopathic Manipulation Training/Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DalaiLama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello D.O. Students,

When you are training and practicing OMM on each other, what do you have to wear? Is sweat pants and a shirt sufficient, or are you required to wear shorts and take off your clothes?
I think it will be pretty awkward if we have to strip in order to train for OMM. I'm just curious because I am planning on applying to D.O programs.

Thank you,
D.L.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello D.O. Students,

When you are training and practicing OMM on each other, what do you have to wear? Is sweat pants and a shirt sufficient, or are you required to wear shorts and take off your clothes?
I think it will be pretty awkward if we have to strip in order to train for OMM. I'm just curious because I am planning on applying to D.O programs.

Thank you,
D.L.
Guys: athletic shorts, no shirt
Gals: Sports bras, athletic shorts.

It's awkward for two weeks, then it's fine.

Reactions: 2 users
After a few weeks of seeing half your class shirtless and the other half in sports bras, you will no longer feel weird about it.
For a few week, yeah, you might.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

This, exactly. You get used to it quickly.
We're allowed to wear sweatpants in the winter when we're not doing lower extremity stuff. But it's not like you're ever naked, or like it's all day outside of lab, or like you're the only one in the room who has to do it and everyone is staring at you.

Girls in my class often tried to cheat by wearing yoga pants. Sometimes they were called out for it by the instructors but they mostly weren't.
My experience was that early on shirts were off much of the time but especially during second year when we covered OMM for the extremities we did not often have to remove our shirts. But as the other posters stated by that time we wouldn't have cared much if we did have to remove our shirts.

If by "take off your clothes" you mean strip down to nothing then the answer is definitely no. I would be sure to wipe down the table really well afterwards if we did though.

At AZCOM the no shirts/sports bras thing is not really a thing. There were a couple of labs early on where we had to remove our shirts or just lift them up so a treatment could be done on skin... but only early on. Everyone is pretty well covered.

Gym shorts/ workout clothes. When you get to sacral stuff, some people get weird but it's not that bad.

Gym shorts/ workout clothes. When you get to sacral stuff, some people get weird but it's not that bad.

Ilium and sacrum get awkward positioning-wise, but (to clarify for OP) you're not any more naked for those than you are for the rest of OPP, at least in my school.

My school is actually enforcing the shorts-not-yoga-pants rule this year. I'm grouchy about the dress code changes, mostly because I don't want to buy new gym clothes, but it's not that bad. Actually, being allowed to wear comfy gym clothes to school is one of my favorite parts of OMM.

I felt a penis yesterday while palpating the pubic bone. I'm a dude. It was weird. It'll still probably be weird next week. Other than that, the weirdness has already subsided.

I felt a penis yesterday while palpating the pubic bone. I'm a dude. It was weird. It'll still probably be weird next week. Other than that, the weirdness has already subsided.
Yeah he should have pushed it down and out. And the instructor should have told that to the class before you started palpating.

I always push myself down and out and around the leg a couple of times personally.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol

Yeah he should have pushed it down and out. And the instructor should have told that to the class before you started palpating.

I always push myself down and out and around the leg a couple of times personally.

My problem is when I do this, it hangs out of my shorts. Lose lose situation for us monsters.

My experience

Weeks 1-2: guys shorts/shirt, girls bra/shorts, awkward
Rest of year 1: same clothes not awkward
Year 2- first half : wear whatever, not awkward
Year 2 - 2nd half: wear whatever, cranial, awkward cuz its bogus. "Ohhhhhhh yeah there's the CRI", "oh snap the sacrum is flexing".....

You guys know there is a "like" function that you can use when you agree with a post?

We love immortalizing threads where 400 people post the same exact answer.

But anyway: guys wear gym shorts, girls wear sports bras and its only weird for a week.

Whos next?

Last edited:

If I get in this cycle, I definitely need to start working out again then lol