OMM & PT: Double Standard???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Hedwig, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Senior Member

Why is it that people on these forums never question the value of physical therapy, but are always making jabs at osteopathic manipulation, which is virtually identical yet more extensive?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded

At the end of the day everything and everyone comes under fire sometimes. You've heard them all - surgeons are chauvinistic, gung-ho, automatons, ER docs are jacks of all trades and masters of none, FPs are the class dummies, MDs "don't treat the whole person just the disease", etc, etc

As to why osteopathic doctors come under fire more than PT - I don't know - maybe part of it is the historical battle between MD and DO. Not that I have never heard a PT criticize an MD but although I want to be a DO I do get just as tired of hearing how MDs don't treat the whole person, etc.
    as I do of hearing how DOs are those weren't smart enough for MD school or practice un-proven medical treatments. I think as research continues on the various OMM techniques (the New England J. Med. article certainly supports back-pain treatment - but there are a lot of other OMM techniques out there that need further research) OMM will get less flak as it gains more scientific basis.