OMM Question for an Osteo MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVPA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all:

I am trying to learn as much as I can about osteopathy's philosophy and of course about OMM. I came across a website (link is below)which although it never uses the word osteopathy or mentions OMM, it seems to be consistent with the philosophy, I think.

I was hoping someone who is an osteopathic MS would take a look at it and let me know if you think it is consistent with the osteopathic philosophy.

Thanks!

Holistic Manual Therapy

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by CVPA:
•Hey all:

I am trying to learn as much as I can about osteopathy's philosophy and of course about OMM. I came across a website (link is below)which although it never uses the word osteopathy or mentions OMM, it seems to be consistent with the philosophy, I think.

I was hoping someone who is an osteopathic MS would take a look at it and let me know if you think it is consistent with the osteopathic philosophy.

Thanks!

Holistic Manual Therapy

Yes, I'd say it does with the caveat that in the USA, D.O.'s would combine all traditional modalities (antibiotics, etc) with a manual medicine approach. From her website, it looks like she is a European-trained physical therapist (who does "manual therapy") and has probably had some exposure to osteopathy in her training. In Europe, the lines are drawn very devisively between D.O.'s (non-medically-trained in Europe), chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists, etc. But in reality, it all kind of falls under the rubric of "manual medicine" (if you're a physician) and "manual therapy" if you're not.

Here's an interesting study making that point:

Chiropractic through the eyes of physiotherapists, manual therapists, and osteopaths in The Netherlands.

Langworthy JM, Smink RD.

Institute for Musculoskeletal Research & Clinical Implementation, Bournemouth, UK. [email protected]

OBJECTIVES: To identify current perceptions and levels of awareness of chiropractic among physiotherapists, osteopaths, and manual therapists in The Netherlands. In addition, to investigate how future communication and interprofessional collaboration between the four professions may be improved in the interests of patient care as perceived by these groups. DESIGN: Four hundred and ninety-four (494) questionnaires were distributed to 100 manual therapists, 299 physiotherapists, and 95 osteopaths across The Netherlands. Questionnaires were identical for each profession. RESULTS: An overall response rate of 48% was achieved. The majority of practitioners reported limited knowledge of chiropractic. However, chiropractic was generally perceived as a primary health care profession most suited to extramural care. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of the manual therapists regarded it as direct competition, while 45% of the osteopaths and 48% of physiotherapists considered chiropractic complementary to their professions. While the majority of osteopaths felt that statutory self-regulation should be granted to chiropractors in The Netherlands, this was not supported by the manual therapists and physiotherapists. Moreover, there was only minimal (4%-11%) support for the availability of chiropractic treatment as part of the Dutch National Health Service. Although most respondents had never had contact with a local chiropractor, all osteopaths and 50% of the manual therapists and physiotherapists considered chiropractors to be skilled practitioners. However, this was more likely to be so if they had had contact with a chiropractor in the past. Current levels of communication and cooperation were thought to be poor to nonexistent although the majority welcomed closer links, particularly in relation to the treatment of spinal complaints. CONCLUSION: Greater awareness appears to be associated with increased levels of interprofessional acceptance and respect. The professions may wish to pursue areas of broad agreement identified by their practitioners in the interests of professional development and optimal standards of care for individuals in need of musculoskeletal services.