OMS III eager to setup neurology audition rotations but Needing Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuccaDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would just look on VSAS, see which programs offer away rotations, apply to a bunch, and choose from where you are accepted. You can maybe get some idea of what programs you might be competitive for by looking at their current residents. I would try to rotate at competitive places. There's no point doing an away rotation somewhere you are already competitive without the rotation, unless you just want to get to know the program better.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd consider doing an away at LECOM-Erie/UPMC. It's a DO program, but many won't interview at all you unless you've done an away there and with your test scores it's not guaranteed you'd match ACGME. Step 1 tends to be weighted more heavily for Neuro. Play it safe. Now's not the time to gamble with your future.

In all honesty you'll probably be fine though. We had a guy at my school last year who matched ACGME neuro at his program of choice having failed a class.

You will be fine. Unless you have incredibly poor social skills, fail a step/level, or apply late, you're very likely to match in an ACGME residency.
1. You still have time to work on your application. Take Step 2 an knock it out of the park. You don't need to do amazingly well just to match. If you get a great score, it will make you competitive for a more selective program. You also should aim to do very well on level 2. For step 2 I imagine you need a score around 230 to be a good applicant for a middle of the road allo program.
2.Get the highest grades possible in your clinical rotations. Learn as much as possible. Do well on your shelf exams. This will help you get that step 2 score. Again, not absolutely necessary to match somewhere, but helpful if you would like to match at a program of your choice.
3. Get great letters from neurologists, preferably ones involved w/ a residency program.
4. Do an allopathic audition rotation. If you want to go somewhere well known/competitive then fill out VSAS and submit it, the day it opens. That won't guarantee you a spot (and if you make enemies or do a bad job it may hurt you) but it will make you a well known entity.
5.Yes, Step 1 tends to be more heavily weighted, and yes, neurology is becoming more competitive each year, but neurology is not insanely competitive like derm/ophtho/rads/neurosurgery, etc. Your step 1 score will not preclude you from matching at your top 5, given you don't make your top 4 UCSF, Partners, etc.
6. Pre-clinical grades don't count for a whole lot. Even if you had to remediate a class, with your board scores and your research, you would ABSOLUTELY match ACGME Neurology. I think an audition rotation would definitely strengthen your application. You won't match a top program, or even your top choice, but that's true for a lot of people in the match.
7. Next year, APPLY ON TIME. Fill out ERAS and have it ready to submit, the day it opens. If it opens on a Sunday, someone will be in the office downloading applications. Applying late will hurt you more than a middle of the road step 1 score.

You can buff your application by applying for some of these AAN awards:
https://www.aan.com/residents-and-fellows/medical-student-resources/awards-and-scholarships/
See if your school will let you take the allo Neurology shelf.

Apply allopathic, don't apply osteopathic. You open yourself up for better opportunities. As for auditions, look at programs in areas you want to live, see if they take a DO and apply. Go there after having done a month of neurology, or two.

Last edited: