Medical OMS III switched from EM to Neurology. What is my Competitiveness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently switched my track from Emergency med to Neurology. Naturally, all of my previous research on residency was focused on EM. I am looking into neurology statistics now. That being said, can anyone comment on how competitive neuro residency is? Specifically a COMLEX 2 SCORE needed and if USMLE 2 needed?

Stats:
OMS III USMLE 1: 221 COMLEX: 599
Strong LOR from my neurology preceptor +3 others
Straight passes in all classes
(Plus other extracurriculars geared towards EM)

-I know my personal statement will be important to explain why neurology now and not EM. Is there another way to show interest to prospective programs?

Thank you for your input!
Let's practice your personal statement: why the switch?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
I switched for several reasons including:

-Several outpatient rotations helped me realize I would enjoy maintaining a patient-physician relationship
-My second interest was (and still is) psych, and I enjoyed distinguishing organic causes of illness from psychogenic causes
-During rotations I realized I enjoy a puzzle and actually knowing/coming to a final diagnosis. I think this appeals to me more than stabilizing someone to dispo without knowing the definitive diagnosis.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro is less competitive than EM, especially in the past year or two. Assuming no red flags, you should be fine pending you interview well, etc. On paper, you'd likely be more competitive for neuro save for how extensive your EC's/research/etc are for EM while lacking neuro, which can somewhat be compensated for via LORs and PS.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.