OMS IV Applying to AOA and ACGME programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my 4th year at an osteopathic school and am a bit confused about the application process for both internship year and residencies for osteopathic students. In general are the ACGME internships and residencies approved by the AOA and available to OMS students or must we get approval prior to applying from the AOA? Do most DO students attend AOA or ACGME internships/residencies? Do they usually go through both the AOA and NRMP matches or just the NRMP?

I'm concerned about running afoul of the AOA and having to repeat the internship year if I'm not careful. I'm assuming that if I start with an AOA internship, I should then move on to an AOA residency. Similary if I start an ACGME internship then should complete an ACGME residency. I've looked through FRIEDA and AOA internship/residency listings and as I expected the choice is vastly wider on FRIEDA. I am not attending school in one of the 5 states that requires an AOA post-graduate program.

Members don't see this ad.

In general are the ACGME internships and residencies approved by the AOA and available to OMS students or must we get approval prior to applying from the AOA?

There are 3 types of internship/residencies you can do (in a nutshell):
- AOA residency
- ACGME residency (must obtain approval for internship after finishing the internship via Resolution 42. https://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=sir_postdocabtres42)
- dual-accredited programs (you will be ACGME and AOA certified, meaning you'll get dual board certification)

Do most DO students attend AOA or ACGME internships/residencies?

It's roughly about 50/50 or so depending on who you quote.

Do they usually go through both the AOA and NRMP matches or just the NRMP?

Depends. If you're interested in both AOA and ACGME programs then apply via both (be aware if you match into an AOA program you're automatically dropped from the NRMP match). If you're only interested in AOA then just match AOA. If you're only interested in ACGME programs then just match via the NRMP. The AOA match is roughly one month before the NRMP match, and both use ERAS so you only fill one application for both.

I'm assuming that if I start with an AOA internship, I should then move on to an AOA residency.

Not necessarily. You can do just an internship and then move on to other programs (either AOA or ACGME, just be aware that ACGME programs will most likely not give you credit for your osteopathic internship and you might have to repeat the internship. I know people who've done this on purpose just to satisfy the requirement for an AOA internship). Remember that even when an internship is "linked" to a residency program, the contracts are on a year-to-year basis, so you're technically only bound by contract for one year at a time. After internship you can leave. Whether this is ethical or not I'll leave up to you. When you match into a linked internship the "expectation" is that you move on to the residency that internship is linked to. There is no legal obligation to do so, but an expectation. Some internships are not linked. This information might be dated, since the AOA has revamped the internship/residency definitions. I'm not 100% sure if there's such a thing as a free-standing rotating internship anymore. I'll defer to someone who's better informed on the latest, greatest info.

Similary if I start an ACGME internship then should complete an ACGME residency.

I don't much about the ACGME side of things so I'll defer to someone with more information on this.

I am not attending school in one of the 5 states that requires an AOA post-graduate program.

You should still make sure you have the internship requirement met, either by completing one or by getting your ACGME internship approved by the AOA. Don't limit your career choices. It would be silly to graduate as a DO and not be able to be licensed in 5 states. Besides, those 5 states are not undesirable states but states in which you someday might want to practice in.

Last edited:
Excellent feedback, Shinken. This does illuminate the benighted path a great deal. Is there a list of the dual-accredited programs? Kind of weird that you have to get approval from the AOA after the ACGME internship... Do you just cross your fingers and hope they approve it:) I would be perfectly happy doing an AOA internship and residency. I'm just trying to figure out the lay of the land. If ERAS takes care of both programs, that makes it much easier. Appreciate the great tutorial. Yes, it makes eminent sense not to burn the bridges to DO practice in the five states in question.