oms ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSwannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of finalizing my ranking for the oms programs i interviewed at and i had a question for the oms residents out there,

At one of my interviews, the program director told me that they would seriously consider me and he hoped i would rank their program high.
Is this something i should take with a grain of salt, or consider it a good sign

i am so confused. I liked all the programs i interviewed at, i keep changing my rank lists, and am having more sleepless nights just thinking about who i should rank as #1,2,3 4, 5 etc

Can anybody help me out

Members don't see this ad.

Rank them in the order where you want to go! Never rank them in order of where you think you have the best chance.

It's tough to not be persuaded by good post-interview feedbacks and letters. Just be cautious, how do you know that what that director had said to you that he didn't say to me? ;)

Sleepless nights? Doing the same thing here my man. At this time, all I am thinking about is "what if I don't match", what do I do then? It's tough to forego the amazing earning potentials out there and start to paying off debt. Afterall, I will be 31 already when I graduate from dental school.

I'm not so much loosing sleep about match or no match, I'm loosing sleep about what to do next if I don't match! Anyone else having the same conflicts? I know for those of you that are younger (24, 25, 27, etc), a year of internship is a viable option, but for me, I'm older, I also enjoy general dentistry, I have over $350K in debt already, not matching maybe is a sign to get my @ss to work!

Any other thoughts...

OMFSwannabe said:
I am in the middle of finalizing my ranking for the oms programs i interviewed at and i had a question for the oms residents out there,

At one of my interviews, the program director told me that they would seriously consider me and he hoped i would rank their program high.
Is this something i should take with a grain of salt, or consider it a good sign

i am so confused. I liked all the programs i interviewed at, i keep changing my rank lists, and am having more sleepless nights just thinking about who i should rank as #1,2,3 4, 5 etc

Can anybody help me out

rank them the order you want to go. if they indeed ranked you #1, then you will match somewhere for sure. because theoretically, if you ranked that program your last and you didn't match all your previous choices, you will have to match to that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E said:
Rank them in the order where you want to go! Never rank them in order of where you think you have the best chance.

It's tough to not be persuaded by good post-interview feedbacks and letters. Just be cautious, how do you know that what that director had said to you that he didn't say to me? ;)

Sleepless nights? Doing the same thing here my man. At this time, all I am thinking about is "what if I don't match", what do I do then? It's tough to forego the amazing earning potentials out there and start to paying off debt. Afterall, I will be 31 already when I graduate from dental school.

I'm not so much loosing sleep about match or no match, I'm loosing sleep about what to do next if I don't match! Anyone else having the same conflicts? I know for those of you that are younger (24, 25, 27, etc), a year of internship is a viable option, but for me, I'm older, I also enjoy general dentistry, I have over $350K in debt already, not matching maybe is a sign to get my @ss to work!

Any other thoughts...

Cmon bro
youre not that old. i am 29, graduated from dental school 7 months ago and doing a GPR right now.
I understand what you mean though, having the loans.
If i do not match, i will do an internship and re apply.
Dont let age be a factor.-as long as we are young at heart right??
good luck to you bro. i am sure it will work out for you

I will echo what the others have said and just rank them how you liked them. It is in every programs best interests to tell good applicants to rank them high. That way they are guaranteed strong residents.

I'm not necessarily losing sleep over it, but I am anxious to find out where I will be (if anywhere). It's kind of a lame philosophy but really at this point it's all out of our hands, whatever is meant to be is meant to be. I know some people like to feel like they have control over every situation but unfortunately that's not the case. If I match at my #1, hey, great. If I match at my #7, still great. If I don't match...it's not the end of the world. I could go work for a year, pay back some loans, enjoy life a little more and reapply which would end up being great.

Good luck to us all :) It's too bad they make it drag out so long. One would think after all the time in dental school, money and time for traveling to interviews etc they could just tell us Jan 15th. After all, it's a simple computer program.

Soon enough!