Feb 23, 2015
Anytown, USA
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I start 2nd year in a few weeks & I've done about 50 mixed questions (all subjects) on combank and my current average is 30%...

Should I be worried? My goal for comlex is at least 500+

How should I do combank during the school year to maxmize level 1 performance?
Should I do mixed/timed throughout the year? or should I do questions by organ system?

also what kind of averages should I hit on COMBANK if I want a 500+?

fyi, I plan to do Uworld during dedicated board time, and i plan to go through it 2x. But I wanted to do Combank as a warmup before Uworld.

thanks for your time.

MedNation907

Chasing Awesome-ness
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
A 30% on mixed subjects on that low-volume of questions is not surprising at all considering you have likely only covered maybe 2 organ systems and you're testing yourself on MS-2 material. My advice is to either do system-specific questions or at the least include only the subjects that have been covered until dedicated. I don't see value in testing yourself on material that hasn't been studied yet. I am also an MS-2, I plan on doing system-specific questions during the year and switch to mixed when I swap qbanks.

EmergDoc2B

5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2012
Status
Medical Student
The percents are a non issue. Use the banks as another resource of information. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, commbank is horrible qbank. Use Uworld.

Reactions: Mad Jack

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A large portion of what's covered in COMBANK (and all of the q-banks) is pathology-related and stuff you'll learn second year. You simply don't know it yet-- so no need to be alarmed. I'd do questions by organ systems as you cover things. Once you've seen everything, you can switched to all/random.

The percents are a non issue. Use the banks as another resource of information. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, commbank is horrible qbank. Use Uworld.
Agree that Combank questions are often terrible, but unfortunately, they're also pretty representative of COMLEX. UWorld is by far the better bank for learning, but I think there's value to Combank and/or Comquest to train yourself on the question style. I did both banks and have to begrudgingly admit that in retrospect, Combank was helpful.

Apr 19, 2016
I start 2nd year in a few weeks & I've done about 50 mixed questions (all subjects) on combank and my current average is 30%...

Should I do mixed/timed throughout the year? or should I do questions by organ system?

fyi, I plan to do Uworld during dedicated board time, and i plan to go through it 2x. But I wanted to do Combank as a warmup before Uworld.

thanks for your time.
is this a joke?

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
USMLE-Rx is a good qbank to do through 2nd year, because it's basically testing you on FA, and you'll be going through it along with your coursework in MS2. I honestly wouldn't use Combank or UWorld until second semester of MS2.

Reactions: chizledfrmstone
Aug 17, 2016
Status
Medical Student

thanks for your time.
I think you should stay away from the question banks until you've really memorized and understood all of the concepts that are being tested (which would mostly be after December). It's a bit of a waste of time to work through problems when you don't even have an algorithm memorized or a full understanding of a topic. But, if thats your plan than go by system and know that the averages are going to be falsely higher than if it were random, but thats okay because you're using it to learn and not to test yourself. COMBANK in general was nothing like the Comlex I had anyways, the back of savarese OMM questions more than prepared you for that portion of the test (along with memorizing a couple awesome viscerosomatic videos on youtube). COMBANK averages don't predict any score, as well as the COMSAE's don't predict scores well at all either (although as long as you're above a 500 on a comsae you should feel confident you'll pass). I would say don't worry about that thing just yet, but make sure you're hammering mechanisms with every topic you do and start memorizing medication (MOA, indication, S/E) early on as well as memorizing micro details (youtube and FA have plenty of algorithms to memorize and work with). The majority of material on Comlex is from 2nd year so considering you haven't started it yet, theres no way to tell where you're at and also no need to at this point. If you're worried this early on a 500 should be an easy goal. Good Luck.

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Conquest is a better qbank imo