OMSIII thinking about cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweetpotatoguy

Potatoes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats:
USMLE step 1: 232
COMLEX step 1: 621

Haven't taken step 2

Halfway through my third year. I'm not highly ranked in my class (maybe top 25%).

LECOM bradenton. HPSP in air force.

I like cards. My uncle is international cardiologist and I liked the field. Haven't done cards here in the US though.

No research published. Getting started on some GI research with a surgeon attending of mine.

What do I do???
Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

My stats:
USMLE step 1: 232
COMLEX step 1: 621

Haven't taken step 2

Halfway through my third year. I'm not highly ranked in my class (maybe top 25%).

LECOM bradenton. HPSP in air force.

I like cards. My uncle is international cardiologist and I liked the field. Haven't done cards here in the US though.

No research published. Getting started on some GI research with a surgeon attending of mine.

What do I do???
Any advice?
Try asking in the military forums. very few here will be familiar enough with the military match to offer any sound advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you're already committed to air force HPSP. Obviously your first step is matching into an IM program. This should be a nonissue. I know air force grants deferments, but I can't comment on that. In terms of fellowship training, you're obviously on the right track having set yourself up with good board scores. I don't think there's a whole lot you can do at this point to increase your chances of cards fellowship. Sure, you could argue that getting exposure earlier is better, but I think fellowship programs are more concerned with your performance as a resident. So, focus on matching into IM and excelling on your cards rotations while in residency, while also networking.

Not to mention, the military may have other ideas about when/if you can do a fellowship. You would likely complete some sort of utilization tour prior to being allowed to apply for fellowship. These issues are far down the road and not really paramount for you at this point.

Reactions: 1 user