Apr 4, 2010
Status
I was hoping to get people's experience with this years exam after they take the exam.

Apr 8, 2010
Status
im taking exam next week. should be interesting. not sure what else i couldve done to study other than what i did which was read peterson's once and run through old exams.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
took exam today, went pretty well. lots of clinical questions, anybody else who took the exam please post experience

Apr 8, 2010
Status
tnelson, what year resident are you? i took today as well. thought it was pretty tough. very random questions that unless you read things other than textbooks you would never know.

Apr 8, 2010
Status
i noticed a fair amount...maybe 75 questions. How big of a curve is there to this test usually? like how many questions do you usually need to get correct to score say in the 50th percentile?

Apr 8, 2010
Status
so you can assume how many questions i guessed on being a 1st year resident. How has the curve worked in the past years?

CanuckDDS

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
wrote it. Got lit up!

That was fun. I've never gotten killed like that on an exam before.:eek:

CanuckDDS

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would be surprised (and happy) if I got close to 50%.

Not really a PGY1 test...:rolleyes:

Not supposed to be though.

Apr 8, 2010
Status
I agree, a raw score or 50% would be stellar. I really think if i got half those questions right ill be lucky. Last years and years past was far easier.

What did you do to prepare?

I agree, not a 1st year test at all. Not even a test for most attendings I'd bet.

CanuckDDS

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree, a raw score or 50% would be stellar. I really think if i got half those questions right ill be lucky. Last years and years past was far easier.

What did you do to prepare?

I agree, not a 1st year test at all. Not even a test for most attendings I'd bet.

I tried to read a bit this weekend. But really, didn't read anything that helped for that exam.

I'm not sure that I could find most of those answers with Fonseca sitting in front of me.

Apr 8, 2010
Status
couldnt have said it any better myself, those questions came from random places. just gotta throw up a prayer and hope for the best. Any idea what kind of curve they put on this thing?

Apr 15, 2010
Status
wow so looks like im not the only one who this this test was ridiculously hard. there was no way to prepare for it. i have heard your percentile is usually about 15-20% higher than your raw percentage just based on statistical distribution of scores in past years. So if you get 50% of questions correct that places you in the 65-70th%ile which when you think about it sounds right. this of course is different when you get more questions right because there are fewer people who do better on these exams than those who do worse so a better score doesnt change your percentile ranking as much as a lower score. Does that make sense?

Apr 4, 2010
Status
what texts do you think these questions even came from, i am not sure. what did you think of the histo

Apr 8, 2010
Status
to be honest, i have no idea wehre those questions came from...they certainly were not "textbook" questions that dealt with the fundamentals and nuts and bolts of oral surgery. So its anybody's guess what reference those questions came from.

As for the histo, i thought it was poor. The images didnt correlate with the clinical information or the answer options given. It was like shooting in the dark for most teh questions.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
I hope they change the test in the coming years as far as the structure. There should be several versions and people should have to take it on the same day to avoid cheating and skewed curve.