Omssat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esclavo

from frying pan into fire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know those acronyms can bring shivers down some resident's spines. My question, is how is this test prepared for by residents (if at all) and how does your program use this examination (ie to kick residents out of the program or to bring increased scrutiny upon residents).

I've scored well enough my first two years to take the heat off myself for the rest of my residency (I hope!) I did get crushed in the TMJ section last year, which I actually see a positive sign not a negative one. I think everyone did because I scored in the 50% and only got 33% of the questions correct!

Curious about other residents feelings when they get close to April....

Members don't see this ad.

esclavo said:
I know those acronyms can bring shivers down some resident's spines. My question, is how is this test prepared for by residents (if at all) and how does your program use this examination (ie to kick residents out of the program or to bring increased scrutiny upon residents).

I've scored well enough my first two years to take the heat off myself for the rest of my residency (I hope!) I did get crushed in the TMJ section last year, which I actually see a positive sign not a negative one. I think everyone did because I scored in the 50% and only got 33% of the questions correct!

I thought the idea was that you didn't prepare. It was just supposed to be a general assessment of where you were in the residency at a given point in time. They never mentioned it other than making us take it. Programs will use it different ways, I am sure. I am in ortho now, you know. :laugh:

esclavo said:

I don't have to take it this april b/c of med school, but i took it last year, approximately 1 week before i took step one. And guess what, i did HORRIBLE! Wasnt too upset though, neither was my attendings because they don't care about our score if we are that close to step1, all they care about it us passing the step.

Although it would have helped had i read that Wilks article on TMD classification right before the test. Particularly high yield it would have been.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it last year, I did very well. Our PD use the OMSAT score as a baseline to evaluate performance in OMFS, as well as mock oral boards ,which we have it with Metrohealth OMSF program, their faculty test our residents and vice versa, we are lucky to have two ex-ABOMS examiners in our mock oral boards. Our PD also uses performance in USMLE and medical school as annual requirement for promotion from year to year.
As far as studying for the exam goes, I mostly use Peterson's the two volumes and OMFS secrets.

What do you guys think of this year's topics.

My program only uses it as a way to see where you are as a resident. The score means nothing in terms of kicking residents out or not. Just an assessment tool. We have two active ABOMS examiners and three ex-ABOMS examiners at our program and they don't place too much weight on the OMSSAT and aren't too concerned about how we do on it.

MAXFAC said:
I took it last year, I did very well. Our PD use the OMSAT score as a baseline to evaluate performance in OMFS, as well as mock oral boards ,which we have it with Metrohealth OMSF program, their faculty test our residents and vice versa, we are lucky to have two ex-ABOMS examiners in our mock oral boards. Our PD also uses performance in USMLE and medical school as annual requirement for promotion from year to year.
As far as studying for the exam goes, I mostly use Peterson's the two volumes and OMFS secrets.

What do you guys think of this year's topics.

I like this year's 4 better than last years four. Cosmetics is the only one where I think I might get caught off guard....The other 3 sections, shouldn't be a single question where I don't feel I'm in the game....

Has anyone heard what is good to read?? One of the guys here used the OMS Knowledge Updates and did horrible. I've heard that OMS Secrets is actually pretty helpful, but I find this hard to believe for some reason.

toofache32 said:
Has anyone heard what is good to read?? One of the guys here used the OMS Knowledge Updates and did horrible. I've heard that OMS Secrets is actually pretty helpful, but I find this hard to believe for some reason.

Knowledge updates were good for some of last year's topics especially craniofacial surgery. OMFS secrets was good for anesthesia to some extent. I have only one experience with OMSAT, will see this year's topics

north2southOMFS said:
And guess what, i did HORRIBLE!
Always good to leave room for improvement...

I came across a reference to the Wilks article on TMD classification and I am interested in finding a copy. Can I get any information on this article that would help in tracking it down? ie what was it published in, year, what is the full title and where would be best to look. I have done some journal searches with the limited information and cannot seem to track it down. Thanks

I came across a reference to the Wilks article on TMD classification and I am interested in finding a copy. Can I get any information on this article that would help in tracking it down? ie what was it published in, year, what is the full title and where would be best to look. I have done some journal searches with the limited information and cannot seem to track it down. Thanks

thatsjustmygame said:

I suggest finding any chapter on TMJ that has the wilkes classes in it and checking the bibliography for the reference.

thatsjustmygame said:
Try this:

Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1989 Apr;115(4):469-77.

Internal derangements of the temporomandibular joint. Pathological variations.

There's also an article in the same journal from January 1991, volume 117, around page 65. That ought to get you started.

Thanks a bunch guys. The appropriate info however a poorer-than-myself (hard to imagine) resident must have reached the article first, and..... lacking the couple of bucks needed to xerox the piece.....unsheathed his trustily free, brand-spankin new 15 blade, and .... with one clean, unfaltering slice..... dejournalized the entire article. Thanks for the help, but it seems as though I shall trod on in the dark.

thatsjustmygame said:
Thanks a bunch guys. The appropriate info however a poorer-than-myself (hard to imagine) resident must have reached the article first, and..... lacking the couple of bucks needed to xerox the piece.....unsheathed his trustily free, brand-spankin new 15 blade, and .... with one clean, unfaltering slice..... dejournalized the entire article. Thanks for the help, but it seems as though I shall trod on in the dark.
You could probably go to the journal's website and order a copy of the article in .pdf format. I have no idea how much this costs, though.

OMFSCardsFan said:
You could probably go to the journal's website and order a copy of the article in .pdf format. I have no idea how much this costs, though.

Maybe you could take the ruined journal to the circulation desk and show them, and they'll order the article for you from the inter-library loan thingy. Just an idea.

esclavo said:
I know those acronyms can bring shivers down some resident's spines.

Gary Ruska isn't afraid of the OMSSAT. The only thing that scares Gary Ruska is Christopher Price.

Has anyone here know which programs are using it to "kick residents out" and what the "cutoff scores" are? Has anyone heard of a person get kicked out for not performing well on the OMSSAT?

sevodes said:
Has anyone here know which programs are using it to "kick residents out" and what the "cutoff scores" are? Has anyone heard of a person get kicked out for not performing well on the OMSSAT?
Dude, are you ever paranoid about the OMSSAT...are you in a residency now, or are you going to refrain from applying to the ones that hold you accountable for learning something while you're there?

sevodes said:

I don't know of programs that kick people out on account of OMSSAT's alone. But if you are consistently suspicious for lack of mental capacity (determined by rounds, pimping, preparation, verbal presentation), then yes, I believe a program can use a bad OMSSAT's to give Objective information on a suspicion of a deficit. If the deficit is large enough that it appears it is inconquerable then an exit strategy can be devised...when I take OMSSAT, my goal is to be in no lower than the 50th percentile compared to my peers of comparable training. This is according to my prior post about board examination statistics (stay out of the bottom 1/3-the danger zone). Considering that the average OMFS resident isn't too shabby, this is harder than one would think....

Hey, anyone has the OMS knowledge update copy?