OMT in MD residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgreet

Dopefish Lives!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just had a question that maybe someone else had an answer to. If someone were to go the osteopathic school route, then choose to go into an MD residency, does the MD residency allow for the use of omt? My primary reason for going into osteopathy would be to learn omt, and if by going into an md residency I would be forced to not use it that would be considered a waste to me. Thanks for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

bgreet said:
Hey guys I just had a question that maybe someone else had an answer to. If someone were to go the osteopathic school route, then choose to go into an MD residency, does the MD residency allow for the use of omt? My primary reason for going into osteopathy would be to learn omt, and if by going into an md residency I would be forced to not use it that would be considered a waste to me. Thanks for any replies!

do a TRI and learn it well in med school. You'll be teaching it to and using it on your fellow residents.

WannabeDO said:
do a TRI and learn it well in med school. You'll be teaching it to and using it on your fellow residents.

TRI? Please elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
JPHazelton said:
TRI? Please elaborate.

I think he means Traditional Rotating Internship.

DireWolf said:
I think he means Traditional Rotating Internship.

why yes grasshopper, JP, I'm disappointed, you should have known that.

Depends on the field and the program. Some look at you like you want to do voo-doo and some support it fully. I do think that a program's opinion on OMT can often relate to how they feel about DO's in general.

My FP program is allopathic and not only do they encourage OMT, the MD program director is qualified to do it. :) I'm willing to bet we do OMT more than most FP osteopathic programs. Go figure. Good luck in your search.

Newdoc2002 said:
Depends on the field and the program. Some look at you like you want to do voo-doo and some support it fully. I do think that a program's opinion on OMT can often relate to how they feel about DO's in general.

My FP program is allopathic and not only do they encourage OMT, the MD program director is qualified to do it. :) I'm willing to bet we do OMT more than most FP osteopathic programs. Go figure. Good luck in your search.

A lot of people who call it Voo-doo will surprise you by asking you to "fix" their back when they are in pain ;)

It depends on the specialty...I use it rarely, but it is always in the back of my mind. FP is a fantastic utilization and I would bet almost all MD programs would encourage the use. Many DO's are seen as a commodity (sp?) in FP programs...so practice hard.

DocWagner, I'm actually very interested in Emergency Medicine. I shadowed a DO about a year ago in a small local hospital and he utilized some OMT. What type do you use, if at all, and what do you think of its direct efficacy? Also, why is it that you don't feel you use it as much? Limited time, or personal beliefs? Thanks!

You'd be suprised. I have found it easier to get an MD to let me use OMT than most Lost Generation DOs. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Usually, if you're competent, fast, and don't pop anything, most MDs are pretty cool with you using OMT. If not, then just do a standard MS screen, if you find a S/D, then motion test it....against resistance....aka Muscle Energy. lol

WannabeDO said:
why yes grasshopper, JP, I'm disappointed, you should have known that.

Grasshopper, eh?

Hmm....who's the rookie here!

;)

JPHazelton said:
Grasshopper, eh?

Hmm....who's the rookie here!

;)

Actually, I was saying that to Direwolf since he answered the question for me :)

I bow to your seniority of course ;)

bgreet,

OMT is generally not recommended in the ED because we generally don't get to "follow up" on patients. When i do use it, I prescribe stretches...sometimes I do thoracic manipulations on the younger crowd that I KNOW is not in the wake of a major pathological event. Most manipulations are done to the support staff with their requests.