1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

OMT/OMM LAB - Paid Volunteers?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by GUTTI, Sep 10, 2000.

1. GUTTI

GUTTI Junior Member

Hi all,

I had a question concerning OMT/OMM lab. Are there any DO schools that have paid volunteers/actors for OMT/OMM lab so that students don't have to practice on each other? I'm really freaking out about the minimal clothing requirement of OMT/OMM lab, not everyone has the physique of a model. Anyone have stories or experiences that can relate?

-Let me know,
    GUTTI

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

GUTTI, I empathize with your situation because I had similar thoughts. However, this uneaziness fades with time.

And honestly, if this fat hairy bastard (me) can make it through OMM class, anyone can. [​IMG]

Good luck!

4. Hello, GUTTI and pags:

I'm currently being introduced to the physicality (sometimes intimate) of OMM as a first-year Osteo. Med. Student. I don't anticipate ever getting used to pretending that I'm not just wearing sports-shorts; it's just too awkward to share that degree of familiarity with classmates.

Please don't misunderstand: based on the 100 pages I've read from my Osteopathic Medical text thus far (and two laboratory sessions), I'm quite satisfied with the techniques and practice of OMM. I just wished that the formal instruction didn't involve scant clothing.

I'm unaware of any Osteo. Med. Schools that don't enforce the requirement of practicing on classmates; it necessarily follows from the expensive OMM tables that the schools have invested in. [​IMG]

5. GUTTI

GUTTI Junior Member

Hey,

I wonder if the goings on in the OMT lab has made anyone so uncomfortable that they were turned away from the D.O. profession and turned to a MD or carib. school.

I know that as future doctors we should be comfortable with giving and receiving physical exams and procedures. But it's kind of different with OMT lab because it's with classmates that you will have contact with for four years. Also it's not a one time thing but a class that meets every week. So it's not just bite a bullet on one occasion but every week. It's making me dread OMT.

On a humorous note, I've decided to join a gym and employ a personal trainer. Within a year I bet I'll be able to join Mr. Universe contests. As for the minimal clothing, hey a ball of socks will make you the envy. (Girl or Guy) 'Nuff said.

BTW, how many a times a week does OMT lab meet and for how many hours? Also could you name your school?

Thanks,
    GUTTI

6. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

NYCOM OMM: 1.5-4 hours q week 1st and 2nd years. 3rd and 4th years more sporadic.

[This message has been edited by pags (edited 09-10-2000).]

7. ebola95

ebola95 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

guys, look, don;t get all freaked out about OMM labs...they are not that bad...we are required to wear "appropriate" attire to lab which means shorts, t-shirt, and NO DENIM...other then that, all the instructirs tell you to palpate your partners and "if they are comfortable" palpate directly on the skin....nobody is going to/or can make it absolutly required for you to bare your body to your classmates...despite what everyone may tell you (this goes for students on rotation as well) you have rights...

palpating directly on the skin will alow you to get a better feel for the muscles directly so you can later develop the "mental filters" that allow you to ignore the clothing on your patient....

if you guys have any questions, just let me know, i am more then happy to share my experiences....

oh yeah, and contrary to popular belief...you DO NOT do pelvic or rectal exams on your classmates....the school hires proffessional patient models for those labs....so don;t get spooked by the person who "...has a friend who's older brother said that they had to do vaginal exams on his classmates"...urban ledgend....

John

8. njdevil

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Eventually, you won't need to palpate skin directly for the back all the time. At 1st it is very necessary...but your hands become much more sensitive to palpation and then t-shirt will do with an occassional hand underneath...now sacral stuff clothing is on and that still feels messed up...hang in there.