OMT Pennsylvania exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pulmdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Apparently Pennsylvania is the only state which requires an OMT exam by them or a COMPLEX PE.

I have been out of med school for sometime and was wondering if anybody has taken this exam or know anything about it (ie prepare for it, what to expect)?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The COMLEX PE exam is part of step 2 board exams. See here for an information sheet from the NBOME. I'm sure it's been discussed here on the boards, too... check out the step 2 subforum.

I think he meant the OMT exam that Pennsylvania Board of Osteopathic Medicine requires for an unrestricted licensure. (it just so happens that if you pass COMLEX PE, the OMT exam requirement is waived). Otherwise, an applicant will have to sign up to take a OMT exam offered by the state (administered through Professional Credential Services)

http://www.pcshq.com/pcsweb/PCSCandPg.nsf/AED/c60c8a8886b8352b86256c4d004dd5c8?OpenDocument

This particular forum is for osteopathic students and I doubt you will get any useful responses since the majority of readers in this forums are osteopathic students (with a few residents). From what I know of the OMT exam, it's "relatively" easy and similar to the practicals that you may have had when you were a medical student. I do not know if either LECOM or PCOM offers OMT review courses (or if there are private companies that offer review courses).

Sorry I cannot be of more help but perhaps you know a few DOs in Pennsylvania who have taken this exam (recent DO graduates will not have taken it since COMLEX PE is now required and it satisfyy the OMT requirement)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry -- I read it as an "either or". :oops:

Leave it to Pennsylvania to be the only one who requires this. I can't believe they didn't grandfather people in who graduated before the PE exam was in place.

That's funny. I remember taking that "exam" back in 2001. The "instructor"/ grading official absolutely reeked of whiskey (probably from the night before, but still..). i think it cost about 1000.00 if I remember correctly- small price to pay considering I didn't have to deal with that comlex-PE shakedown

But if one, say, goes to DO school in PA but wishes to gain licensure in NY (which is a state that has no different license for an MD or a DO), the only standardized practical OMT test would be for the COMLEX 2-PE, correct?

But if one, say, goes to DO school in PA but wishes to gain licensure in NY (which is a state that has no different license for an MD or a DO), the only standardized practical OMT test would be for the COMLEX 2-PE, correct?

If one goes to an osteopathic medical school anywhere in the USA now, one is required to take the COMLEX II-PE exam and so will no longer have to take the Pennsylvania OMT exam. The exam is a remnant left over from pre COMLEX II - PE days and only physicians who were licensed before the the PE started (2006 is when it became mandatory for graduation and licensure) will have to take the exam.

jd

Thanks so much everyone for your input. I'm just so irritated and annoyed that I have to make time out of my busy practice to study for an exam which has nothing to do with what I do. Also, they're very confusing with the study guideline. They give you 3 chapters (soft tissue, muscle energy and HVLA) out of Foundation book to study from and also tell you 4 body regions (cevical, thoracic, lumbar and pelvis). The only thing is that those 3 chapters also include ribs and extremities. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW IF THE RIBS AND EXTREMITIES ARE COVERED ON THIS EXAM????? PLEASE HELP! I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO WASTE STUDYING FOR SOMETHING I DON'T NEED TO..THANKS IN ADVANCE!

What I was trying to say was show up semi-sober and you will be fine.

Thanks triplej for your input. Are you saying this based on how the exam was in 2001? or did you hear this from anyone that took this exam recently?

Sorry -- I read it as an "either or". :oops:

Leave it to Pennsylvania to be the only one who requires this. I can't believe they didn't grandfather people in who graduated before the PE exam was in place.
Have you heard anything about this exam?