On a good track for applying next summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeffs office

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't include the HS volunteering in the Experiences section unless you continue the activity into the college years. You may refer to it in the Primary Statement though.

The year of planned US hospital volunteering should be fine; aim for 150 hours total.

You need US physician shadowing. You can list what you did abroad, but it should not stand alone. Aim for 60-80 hours total.

A year of research seems average. With two years you'd have a better chance at schools that value research. Any chance at a publication?

Keep up with the community service so it will be recent when you apply. You're doing fine with that so far.

TA can go under Teaching. It's good to have.

Leadership is good too. Be sure you do more than lead meetings for your club. Get some new initiatives going. BE a leader. Have leadership-y activities to report.

With a cGPA of 3.7, aim for a 31+ MCAT. Higher score gets you consideration by more schools. I think you're in good shape despite the two Cs.

By the application time, I'll have two years of research under my belt. I'm not sure if there will be a chance for a publication. I think I'll have a better idea by the end of the summer.

Thanks for your advice! I hope these things will make me competitive during application time. *fingers crossed*