On admissions - please dress professional in your AMCAS pictures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1080389

I am writing this because I am mildly frustrated by having rockstar applicants check all the boxes but have these unprofessional AMCAS pictures. I was in your shoes not too long ago and now I am part of admissions at one of the medical schools. Here are some guidelines:

Men - everything must be pressed.
Full suit - Black, charcoal, navy. Gray is less preferable, but acceptable.
Shirt - White. There are some rare circumstances where a light blue shirt is acceptable, but this should be avoided.
Tie - solid tie (blue or red) with a full-Windsor knot (looped under twice). Edit: I PREFER a double-windsor knot. It is DIFFICULT to tie a half-windsor or other asymmetric knots in a way that looks neat, but I suppose if you are one of the talented few it is okay. Given that interviews are through zoom and from the head down, your knot stands out more than it normally would.
Hair - Neat and recently cut. 95% of male applicants will not be able to pull off long hair, so I would recommend not doing that. Do not have any extreme hair styles.
Facial hair - None is preferable. If you absolutely must have it, make sure it is EXTREMELY well-groomed. I personally do not like facial hair in applicants. NO SHADOW!
Jewelry - None (exceptions - tie bars, cufflinks, wedding band). Piercings and visible tattoos WILL GREATLY HARM YOUR CANDIDACY.

Women - everything must be pressed.
Shirt - White or light blue. Use your judgment here. I think there's more flexibility with color compared to men, but keep it modest and not flashy.
Hair - Neat. You can wear it up or wear it down (however you are more comfortable) as long as it is neat. Do not have any extreme hair styles.
Jewelry - Keep it modest. One earring in each ear only. Stick with something small like a silver/gold stud type of earring or a pearl earring if you like that type of stuff. Avoid anything large or flashy. No other piercing aside from earrings should be worn.

Note: There are obvious exceptions for any cultural or religious reasons.

For your picture and interview background, please keep it neutral. That means a plain colored wall with no pictures or anything behind you. Try to adjust the lighting to remove shadow if possible, but there is forgiveness there (I will not ding someone for having a shadow in their picture).

I know this may sound a bit "tough", but honestly your dress is extremely important in developing that first impression. If you come well-dressed, I already think highly of you before you even opened your mouth. When you inevitably flub an answer because you're on an interview and they are inherently stressful, I will look past that because you are well-dressed and professional. Honestly, most physicians lose attention fairly quickly (myself included), so I wouldn't fret too much over whether all of your answers were absolutely perfect or not. I basically just ask myself at the end of the interview "did this person say anything that was a red flag, were they nice/affable, and did they mostly answer my questions? Okay check, they're getting a great or outstanding evaluation."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 24 users
Tie - solid tie (blue or red) with a full-Windsor knot (looped under twice). Yes I will know if it is a half-Windsor knot and I will note that you can't tie a tie properly in your evaluation.
Overall, thank you for this entire post because this is helpful. My feelings aside, I'm glad this was posted.

However--what??? The half vs. full windsor knot nuance sounds a bit ridiculous.

I'm 25 and I've held multiple jobs so I'm aware that I need to be well-groomed and properly dressed but this is the best kept secret in interviews because I have NEVER heard of this in my life.

Is this something that is generally passed down father to son?

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a background in corporate America, and my wife works in finance, so we are accustomed to very formal attire. I suppose I am a bit particular when it comes to men's dress. Some interviewers will be a bit more lenient than myself, but I have personally seen some be as critical. If you tie both a double-windsor and half-windsor knot, you will notice a difference in how the tie knot looks. Asymmetrical knots aren't as neat unless you are particularly talented with tying them.

• Haha
  • Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
How could you tell if someone is wearing a full suit based on a picture of them from the shoulders up? Are you super-sleuthing?

P.S. all the surgeons I've shadowed barely wear button-up shirts :angelic:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I would encourage you, and other members of admissions committees that follow this line of thinking, to re-consider the resources that are provided to applicants when it comes to medical school interviews.

The full-windsor and half-windsor knot isn't mentioned in any of the resources that are at the top of the list when googling 'Medical school interviews.'

I would imagine that you're dinging a LOT of students from disadvantaged backgrounds if you're adding this level of nuance to a medical school interview. They're interviewing for medical school--not corporate america.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 54 users
Shirt - White. There are some rare circumstances where a light blue shirt is acceptable, but this should be avoided.
Tie - solid tie (blue or red) with a full-Windsor knot (looped under twice). Yes I will know if it is a half-Windsor knot and I will note that you can't tie a tie properly in your evaluation.

These two lines make this seem like a joke post.

P.S.: I'm a surgeon, and this is ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 30 users
I am writing this because I am mildly frustrated by having rockstar applicants check all the boxes but have these unprofessional AMCAS pictures. I was in your shoes not too long ago and now I am part of admissions at one of the medical schools. Here are some guidelines:

Hair - Neat and recently cut. 95% of male applicants will not be able to pull off long hair, so I would recommend not doing that. Do not have any extreme hair styles.
Facial hair - None is preferable. If you absolutely must have it, make sure it is EXTREMELY well-groomed. I personally do not like facial hair in applicants. NO SHADOW!
Jewelry - None (exceptions - tie bars, cufflinks, wedding band). Piercings and visible tattoos WILL GREATLY HARM YOUR CANDIDACY.

Shirt - White or light blue.
Hair - Neat. You can wear it up or wear it down (however you are more comfortable) as long as it is neat. Do not have any extreme hair styles.
Jewelry - Keep it modest. One earring in each ear only. Stick with something small like a silver/gold stud type of earring or a pearl earring if you like that type of stuff. Avoid anything large or flashy. No other piercing aside from earrings should be worn.

For your picture and interview background, please keep it neutral. That means a plain colored wall with no pictures or anything behind you. Try to adjust the lighting to remove shadow if possible, but there is forgiveness there (I will not ding someone for having a shadow in their picture).

I know this may sound a bit "tough", but honestly your dress is extremely important in developing that first impression. If you come well-dressed, I already think highly of you before you even opened your mouth. When you inevitably flub an answer because you're on an interview and they are inherently stressful, I will look past that because you are well-dressed and professional. Honestly, most physicians lose attention fairly quickly (myself included), so I wouldn't fret too much over whether all of your answers were absolutely perfect or not. I basically just ask myself at the end of the interview "did this person say anything that was a red flag, were they nice/affable, and did they mostly answer my questions? Okay check, they're getting a great or outstanding evaluation."

Excuse me? Now that you have been accepted to medical school, you are now the arbiter of acceptable fashion, including how one knots one’s tie? Word needs to be out that there is SOME med school where SOME med student(s) who is (are) the student rep(s) on the adcom and avoid that “fashion runway” school like the plague.

You need to look “normal” for lack of a better word. Think the opposite of Charlie Manson.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
is this for "AMCAS pictures" (is this referring to secondary photos...?) or interview attire? Cuz whoops I was not in a full suit in my secondary headshot lmao

Even at the following link that shows up when you google 'How to dress for a finance interview' you can see the guy has a half-windsor!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
is this for "AMCAS pictures" (is this referring to secondary photos...?) or interview attire? Cuz whoops I was not in a full suit in my secondary headshot lmao
I am referring to both. It's more important to be dressed properly to the interview, however.

How could you tell if someone is wearing a full suit based on a picture of them from the shoulders up? Are you super-sleuthing?

P.S. all the surgeons I've shadowed barely wear button-up shirts :angelic:
Haha! I would never ask someone to stand up, but your shirt can bunch up if it's not tucked in.

Shirt - White or light blue.

Respectfully, if you see this and panic because your picture looked like the rest of ours, don't. Do not listen to this wo/man. My photo was not in a suit, my blouse was bright pink, and tho I did not have it in my secondary picture, my hair was coloured (unnaturally) at a decent number of my interviews. And wow, my blouse was absolutely not flawlessly pressed.

Obviously don't go out of your way to be unprofessional (e.g. T shirt and jeans), and I would maybe advise against the hair colour bc I def got some side-eyes (this is not something i agree w on principle, alas some older drs. do not share all my principles), but my photo was certainly not a barrier to my success.

And, honestly, shame on @bigmitch92 for making these judgements of students. There is professionalism, and then there is elitism. The expectations that you have put forth here are not only elitist but also deeply detrimental to students who are applying from less privileged backgrounds. And, that aside, judging someone based on the colour of their shirt is, quite frankly, appalling. This thread lowkey reeks of the judgment veiled as "professionalism" that represents the worst of medicine.

• Love
Reactions: 52 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Respectfully, if you see this and panic because your picture looked like the rest of ours, don't. Do not listen to this wo/man. My photo was not in a suit, my blouse was bright pink, and tho I did not have it in my secondary picture, my hair was coloured (unnaturally) at a decent number of my interviews. And wow, my blouse was absolutely not flawlessly pressed.

Obviously don't go out of your way to be unprofessional (e.g. T shirt and jeans), and I would maybe advise against the hair colour bc I def got some side-eyes (this is not something i agree w on principle, alas some older drs. do not share all my principles), but my photo was certainly not a barrier to my success.

And, honestly, shame on @bigmitch92 for making these judgements of students. There is professionalism, and then there is elitism. The expectations that you have put forth here are not only elitist but also deeply detrimental to students who are applying from less privileged backgrounds. And, that aside, judging someone based on the colour of their shirt is, quite frankly, appalling. This thread lowkey reeks of the judgment veiled as "professionalism" that represents the worst of medicine.
Your post proves my exact point. You yourself stated you got some side-eyes from how you presented yourself. Also, I have not had a single applicant show up to the interview dressed unprofessionally, which is not the issue here. I have had quite a few applicants dressed fairly casually in their AMCAS pictures, which is why I made a post on here in the first place. It's quite frustrating to see an applicant that is totally awesome but have your first impression when you open their application be "why are they wearing a sweatshirt?"

• Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Your post proves my exact point. You yourself stated you got some side-eyes from how you presented yourself. Also, I have not had a single applicant show up to the interview dressed unprofessionally, which is not the issue here. I have had quite a few applicants dressed fairly casually in their AMCAS pictures, which is why I made a post on here in the first place. It's quite frustrating to see an applicant that is totally awesome but have your first impression when you open their application be "why are they wearing a sweatshirt?"
so you invited them for interview despite wearing sweatshirt for photos but going to ding them for that when making admission decisions?

Reactions: 4 users
That's understandable but it sounds like you're dinging folks for how they tie a tie or whether they choose to have facial fair.

I mean... you and your biases based on dress exist. And if you're posting this I would imagine there are a few other out there that hold these same biases so this is good information to know I guess.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
This has got to be a troll post.

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users
You yourself stated you got some side-eyes from how you presented yourself.
I got side eyes because my hair was blue. Not because my shirt was pink. I say this with full confidence bc when my shirt was pink and hair was brown, no one looked twice. Blue hair =/= crumpled shirt or half-windsor tie or a beard.

Also, I have not had a single applicant show up to the interview dressed unprofessionally, which is not the issue here
Yes, I know we're talking about secondary photos, which is why I dedicated the bulk of my comment to it.

Your post proves my exact point.
And if you're posting this I would imagine there are dozens of other adcoms that hold these same biases so this is good information to know I guess.

No. My point, as @borrawin95 alludes to, is that you are biased. And sure, there are medical professionals conducting interviews who share these biases, and, unfortunatly, it benefits applicants to be aware of them.

That said, you could choose not to judge people for arbitrary details of professionalism that have no bearing on their success as a doctor. You could choose not to contribute to the hostile "weaponized professionalism" climate of medicine. And yet you are choosing to judge applicants based on your "preferences" of attire.

Sure, it's good to know the people looking at our apps are biased. But it's myopic of you to post this and not realize that your somewhat arbitrary judgement is part of the problem.

Reactions: 7 users
Haha! I would never ask someone to stand up, but your shirt can bunch up if it's not tucked in.
Jokes on you because this is what I've been wearing under my suit this entire time!

Take that virtual interviews

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The point of this post, I think, is to point out how to not get dinged for literally anything appearance-related. It's not to say that if you don't follow it, you're not going to have success or are unprofessional. I think it's in the spirit of "The nail that sticks up is the one that gets hammered down" and that makes sense.

Y'all need to chill. I wore light blue shirt with a half Windsor and I'm cool with the post. He's just trying to be helpful if anyone's parents (like mine) didn't teach you professional dress. SDN has helpful, nice people sometimes - believe it or not

Edit: Showed up late. Missed some context. I yield

Reactions: 1 users
The point of this post, I think, is to point out how to not get dinged for literally anything appearance-related. It's not to say that if you don't follow it, you're not going to have success or are unprofessional. I think it's in the spirit of "The nail that sticks up is the one that gets hammered down" and that makes sense.

Y'all need to chill. I wore light blue shirt with a half Windsor and I'm cool with the post. He's just trying to be helpful if anyone's parents (like mine) didn't teach you professional dress. SDN has helpful, nice people sometimes - believe it or not

He edited his comment, but if you look at my first post you can see that originally he said he would mark down in your file that you don’t know how to properly tie a knot if you wore a half Windsor. I think that’s the sentiment that’s bothering people.

Reactions: 11 users
He edited his comment, but if you look at my first post you can see that originally he said he would mark down in your file that you don’t know how to properly tie a knot if you wore a half Windsor. I think that’s the sentiment that’s bothering people.
Oh, I def showed up late for that. There I went tryin to keep the peace and all lol

In my “headshot” I’m wearing a white button-down with a beige blazer. There is a shadow because covidtimes and I’m not a professional photographer. My hair is neatly styled but there are a few flyaways since it’s freaking covidtimes and I couldn’t make it to a professional stylist. I’m an aspiring physician not a model.

*le gasp*

I have two acceptances so far.

Obviously, wear a formal suit to your interviews and be coiffed. But if, god forbid, you didn’t have the resources to have a professional headshot taken during a goshdang PANDEMIC, that should NOT reflect poorly on you as a candidate.

I feel sorry for anyone that got auto rejected because they didn’t have a background in FINANCE and tied a half Windsor. This is asinine.

Reactions: 13 users
So everyone's going on about OP's inflated standards, but nobody's going to defend the half-windsor?
I'm a small guy, who wears slim-cut shirts with small collars, and the full windsor looks way too big. Even the half-windsor looks a little big on me sometimes. I prefer the 4-in-hand knot, which I wore to all my interviews.

To add another data point: at my school, if someone tried to ding a candidate over something as ridiculous as tie knottage, the candidate would get a vigorous defense from other adcom members present in the meeting.

There's being presentable and professionally dressed, and then there's neurotic fashion police / Tim Gunn on steroids. Just my thoughts.

• Love
  • Haha
How many extra points do you get at this school for donning a monocle and top hat?

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
I am referring to both. It's more important to be dressed properly to the interview, however.
Mitch, with all due respect, while it's important to look professional, we're looking for people who will be good students and more importantly, make good doctors. It's an interview, not a fashion soiree.

And this process is anxiety provoking enough as it is, we don't need students freaking out over how to tie a tie.

As a teaching moment, Adcoms quickly learn who is a hardass interviewer, and who is a pushover. Someone dinging an interviewee for not having the right tie knot, or the wrong shade of clothing would quickly not be taken seriously by the rest of the committee.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 21 users
@bigmitch92 If you're joking, well done. If you're being serious about recommending that people tie a full Windsor over a half Windsor or that a grey suit is less desirable than a navy suit and all of this not even for the interview but for the AMCAS photo... Well, what specialty resident are you again? A little too up-tight to be my resident I think.

On the off chance this is not a troll post and is an example of someone who got a slight bit of power (probably a student interviewer since he says he was “in your shoes not so long ago”) and now thinks they can bully people...

As an interviewer your personal preferences, which you capitalize, such as Windsor knot, length of hair, no facial hair, mean precisely jack. They’re not there to go on a date with you, so keep that commentary to yourself.

The rest of it smacks of elitism, particularly regarding “inappropriate hairstyles” and piercings. I’ve never seen, say, a lime green mohawk in an applicant photo, and a streak of pink in a woman’s hair doesn’t mean she’s not appropriate for med school. I had multiple ear piercings in my picture. 47 interview offers. Bye.

To the rest of you reading: be clean, groomed for whatever style you possess, and have a suit that fits. That’s it.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
This was meant to serve as a guideline. There is an element of individual judgment that should be applied. If what I was saying was so extreme, then why do almost all applicants dress according to my post above on interviews? No one is being kept out of medical school because they tied an incorrect knot, which is why I edited that post to reflect as such, but does anyone seriously think it's a good idea to show up to an interview with wrinkled clothes, a bold colored suit, or a tie that isn't tied correctly? That would not have been acceptable when I interviewed for residency. I have not personally negatively evaluated a candidate simply because of dress, but I have dropped a professionalism evaluation from a 10 to a 9 because of an unprofessional AMCAS picture where they are not in a suit. If a candidate follows all of that guidance above, they will not have any issues during their career in terms of professional attire. As I stated above, showing up to an interview dressed perfectly already starts you off on the right foot. I'm sure the people posting their individual stories are outstanding candidates, but there is a risk depending on who is interviewing them. Most people want to give themselves as many advantages as possible. I'm sorry that this is an unpopular opinion, but this is the standard that was largely held for me throughout my medical career.

Update: I can now tie a full-windsor lol

This was meant to serve as a guideline. There is an element of individual judgment that should be applied. If what I was saying was so extreme, then why do almost all applicants dress according to my post above on interviews? No one is being kept out of medical school because they tied an incorrect knot, which is why I edited that post to reflect as such, but does anyone seriously think it's a good idea to show up to an interview with wrinkled clothes, a bold colored suit, or a tie that isn't tied correctly? That would not have been acceptable when I interviewed for residency. I have not personally negatively evaluated a candidate simply because of dress, but I have dropped a professionalism evaluation from a 10 to a 9 because of an unprofessional AMCAS picture where they are not in a suit. If a candidate follows all of that guidance above, they will not have any issues during their career in terms of professional attire. As I stated above, showing up to an interview dressed perfectly already starts you off on the right foot. I'm sure the people posting their individual stories are outstanding candidates, but there is a risk depending on who is interviewing them. Most people want to give themselves as many advantages as possible. I'm sorry that this is an unpopular opinion, but this is the standard that was largely held for me throughout my medical career.

If your takeaway message for candidates is to "dress professionally", then you have contributed nothing of value that has not already been discussed extensively.

If, however, you wanted people to know that a half-windsor knot merits docking an applicant, then you're giving us reason to doubt your own professionalism as an interviewer.

Lastly, Mr. Bond, I'd like to point out that a full-windsor knot looks ridiculous on the average 150 pound, 22 year-old nerdy male applying to medical school. Your fashion standards seem a little outdated.

Reactions: 11 users
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an AMCAS picture?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an AMCAS picture?
It's the picture you upload when you submit your primary application. I have unfortunately observed a substantial percentage of applicants have pictures that were not professional.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the picture you upload when you submit your primary application. I have unfortunately observed a substantial percentage of applicants have pictures that were not professional.
I've only seen pictures on some secondaries.

Given your specificity its hard to judge whether applicants are dressing unprofessionally or if you are simply nit-picky.

Tie - solid tie (blue or red) with a full-Windsor knot (looped under twice). Edit: I PREFER a double-windsor knot. It is DIFFICULT to tie a half-windsor or other asymmetric knots in a way that looks neat, but I suppose if you are one of the talented few it is okay. Given that interviews are through zoom and from the head down, your knot stands out more than it normally would.

Shirt - White or light blue. Use your judgment here. I think there's more flexibility with color compared to men, but keep it modest and not flashy.

Ok boomer

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 26 users
Your post proves my exact point. You yourself stated you got some side-eyes from how you presented yourself. Also, I have not had a single applicant show up to the interview dressed unprofessionally, which is not the issue here. I have had quite a few applicants dressed fairly casually in their AMCAS pictures, which is why I made a post on here in the first place. It's quite frustrating to see an applicant that is

P.S I did 5 years in the Marine Corps and this sounds more assholish than even Marines at a uniform inspection. Half Windsor vs full Windsor.... seriously?

Check it out I'm not applying for a finance job and IDGAF about your powersuit bs. I want nothing to do with any institution that makes decisions based on how you tied your tie or whether your suit looks like its off-the-rack vs handmaid. Sounds like a school full of entitled losers.

PSS the four-in-hand, half Windsor, and full Windsor are all approved for Army and Navy uniforms, surely if they are good enough for literally the most nit-picky institutions around they should be good enough for you.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users

See! He’s dead serious. Nobody’s going to shame him into an elitist corner. After all, he has been in the BUSINESS world. ( wait till he learns medicine is a business).

Reactions: 1 user
Full Windsor? Pleb.

• Haha

I've only seen pictures on some secondaries.

Given your specificity its hard to judge whether applicants are dressing unprofessionally or if you are simply nit-picky.
Where on the AMCAS primary is a photo uploaded? Is the OP referring to secondaries? Isn't there a difference between primary and secondary for those looking at it from the admissions office (like the OP)? I am getting confused because OP specifically said primary application.

For my picture and interviews (wore same outfit) I had a grey blazer, red tie, and navy blue button up shirt. I also had a neatly trimmed beard. So far my cycle is going well despite the beard and not having a black blazer/white shirt combo. I think as long as you don't look unkempt on your picture and are wearing presentable clothes you shouldn't worry too much.

Or who knows, maybe some schools hired Heidi Klum to "auf wiedersehen" those without a sense of fashion.

• Haha
who knows, maybe some schools hired Heidi Klum to "auf wiedersehen" those without a sense of fashion.

On the other hand, some schools have been woke to the fact that these fashionista attitudes are snobbish, unrelated to an appliccant's suitability for admission, and contribute to inequities in access to medical education and then in the profession itself.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 23 users
Adcoms: Why are premeds so neurotic?

Also adcoms: Full Windsor knot or auto-R.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Status
Not open for further replies.