On AMCAS coursework, what if the course I took falls under 2 categories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The class is Independent Research. This course, despite having a science title (BIO 395W), is considered to be both Biology and English Composition/Writing (because scientific writing was taught). Our school said this course could be used to satisfy one of the English requirements for medical school. However, on the AMCAS, I could only pick biology or English, but not both. If I pick English, this might cause some confusion since it has BIO written on it. But if I pick Biology, the English requirement for medical school won't be satisfied.

So what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

That little W means it's a writing-intensive course. List it as Bio.

I'll be using this class to satisfy the 4 credits of English requirement. Do you think medical schools will recognize this if I list it as Bio?

Yes.

Many secondaries ask you to list what courses fulfill their requirements. And if there's any concern, the school will email you to clarify. It's not like they're going to straight up reject you because they can't figure out what your English course was.

Reactions: 1 user