On AMCAS, is there a way to mark the end date as indefinite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andybshaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For most of my experiences on AMCAS, they are still things that I do. Should I just mark the end date as May 2016 (when I graduate) or is there any way to indicate that they are continuing/indefinite, especially if I don't exactly know when they will end? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From the AMCAS instruction manual:

medical schools ask that the experience end date coincide with the start of medical school. Even if the experience will be ongoing, the latest end date is August of the current application cycle.

So, I'd put an end date in July/August 2016, unless you have a specific reason to believe that an activity will be ending sooner.

The activities that I plan on continuing indefinitely (until medical school), I just listed until August 2016. For the hours, I just extrapolated to August 2016. Is anyone doing any differently?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Catalystik suggested that you can make 2 entries: 1 with the end date that coincides with when you submit your app, another with the projected dates / hours. That way adcoms can easily tell how many hours you dedicated to an activity at the time of your application submission

@Catalystik suggested that you can make 2 entries: 1 with the end date that coincides with when you submit your app, another with the projected dates / hours. That way adcoms can easily tell how many hours you dedicated to an activity at the time of your application submission
So it would look like this:

#1 Jan 2010-May 2015 100 hours (meaning, these are completed)
#2 May 2015-Aug 2016 50 hours (meaning, hours predicted into the future)

If you wait until June 1, you can change May to June, but right now the AMCAS program won't let you save a June 2015 start date.

Reactions: 1 user