On avg how much can you improve on verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hadokenny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that its pretty tough to improve verbal score. I am just wondering approximately whats the avg of improvement on verbal after you studied a few months for it? I just took my first verbal practice test and I really think i need to bring it up a tiny bit.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know what the average is but from my first diag to the last practice test i took (aamc 9) i improved from a 4 to a 12. obviously i started low so i had a long way to go but thats still an 8 point improvement!

I started with 8, and got up to 10 in practice tests... It depends on the person. I worked really hard but couldn't improve much.

I got a 9 and an 8 on two different real MCAT exams, got 9-11 on practice tests after preparing for verbal. You can't really improve it without figuring out new ways to improving your reading comprehension, which can be difficult for some.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got an 8 on my kaplan diagnostic and went up to 13s and 14s on all my kaplan full lengths. However, on AAMC tests I was getting 11s and 12s (who knows). I'm still waiting on my april scores to find out how i really did...

kallie128 said:
i got an 8 on my kaplan diagnostic and went up to 13s and 14s on all my kaplan full lengths. However, on AAMC tests I was getting 11s and 12s (who knows). I'm still waiting on my april scores to find out how i really did...

Wow that's incredible! Do you think that 8 was a freak accident for you?
I scored a 13 on the diagnostic VR and then scored 11s and 12s on the full-lengths.

Schaden Freud said:
I scored a 13 on the diagnostic VR and then scored 11s and 12s on the full-lengths.

5 points.
Two words of advice: Focused practice......

A lot depends on where you're starting. The verbal curve is especially rough at the upper end, so this is where it's hardest to see improvement. At the upper ends of the scale it depends on luck to a certain extent which types of passages/questions your form of the test will have.

Has anyone seen their verbal score go down on diagnostics? I feel whiny for complaining, but for the 3R I got a 12 and then I received 11's on the TPR diagnostic and the 6R, but I got a 10 yesterday on the 4R...I'm minorly freaking out about this deviation since the 4R is supposed to be easier than the others.

stiffany said:
Has anyone seen their verbal score go down on diagnostics? I feel whiny for complaining, but for the 3R I got a 12 and then I received 11's on the TPR diagnostic and the 6R, but I got a 10 yesterday on the 4R...I'm minorly freaking out about this deviation since the 4R is supposed to be easier than the others.

Not sure where you heard that. I think the consensus is that the verbal on 4R is wicked hard. Check it out when the search fxn is back up.

Your verbal score can be significantly improved by focusing on strategy, timing, and, most importantly, endurance. Although reading comprehension skills are key, it's really hard to improve upon what you've already got in this department in a few short months.

But back to the main point. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to practice. A lot. At first, it'll be hard to get through more than four or five passages without losing your edge (focus and concentration). That can be remedied by doing passages everyday and taking full length verbal sections (I did three passages a day during the week and 1 full length verbal every weekend for almost three months while studying for the MCAT).

Work hard AND smart and you'll be fine. :luck:

Schaden Freud said:

i think i just wasn't that focused on the diagnostic and wasn't in the test-taking mindset yet...i didn't really follow any of the kaplan strategies...i think what helped me a lot was just practice and underlining the passage (it also didn't hurt that i generally love to read and have taken several philosophy classes)

WestTexasRambler said:
5 points.
Two words of advice: Focused practice......

I agree here....Ask yourself Why are you missing questions?? Is it material from passage, not reading question right...Here try this, Take 3 verbal passages and read the passages timed and then do the questions...then take another three passages DONT READ THE PASSAGES and then answer the questions. I did this after struggling with the passages for a long time....the results was i missed 6 when i read the passages and i missed 7 without reading the passages just scanning for answers....so I asked myself is it reading the passages that is so hard or is it understanding the questions....READ THE QUESTIONS THAT IS WHERE THE POINTS COME FROM NOT THE PASSAGE