On-Campus or Off-Campus Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been many threads on FAFSA, but this question I had never seems to come up. You know about the part that asks you about your housing option at each school (on-campus, off-campus, with parents) which option are we supposed to choose? I know some schools like HMS, have dorms in which most medical students stay, so for those schools the on-campus option should be selected. But how about others? I was looking at the University of Maryland housing, and it seems that they do offer apartments to medical students, but quite frankly they are VERY expensive.

In general, how does this work? I mean let's say that I choose the on-campus option for some school and I end up going there. However, I later decide that I want to live off-campus in apartments that are not run by the university. So what is going to happen to my financial aid package? Is it going to get lower?

Also, I have only heard back from three schools (three invites) but no news from any of them regarding acceptance, waitlist, rejection. So I will put them on the FAFSA. So which other schools should I put on FAFSA? The ones that I would want to go, but I have not heard from? I am confused....:confused:

Members don't see this ad.