on for child psychiatrist with a residency outside the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noah2580

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an IMG, completed all three USMLE steps and applying for a Washington State Medical license. Completed a 5 year residency in child psychiatry abroad and worked as a medical director of an outpatient clinic and inpatient unit abroad. Does anyone know if there are any options for a clinical job as a child psychiatrist without repeating residency in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am an IMG, completed all three USMLE steps and applying for a Washington State Medical license. Completed a 5 year residency in child psychiatry abroad and worked as a medical director of an outpatient clinic and inpatient unit abroad. Does anyone know if there are any options for a clinical job as a child psychiatrist without repeating residency in the US?
you cant get a full license in Washington unless youre from Canada so no you would not be able to practice in the US. You would need to do 2 years of residency to get a full license and the full training in at least general psychiatry to be employable in any reasonable position

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I don't mean to criticize, but it is very surprising that you were able to complete all three steps (congrats!) without first understanding the pathway to practice in the US. There is essentially no way to practice in the US without doing a residency. There are a subset of states where you could get a medical license with only a few years of residency but as an IMG in this situation getting a job would be extremely rare.