On hand clinical experience during observership in ERAS. Please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charizard28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask anyone in case they are in the same position. If its ok that I mentioned that I was allowed to performed almost all the same things as an intern during my observership, and if its not counterproductive for my application and evaluation when they person in charge to give me the interview read my file. Part of my duties were evaluation of patients in hospital and in ER, creation of manuscrips used by the resident to be the patient progress note, admission notes and discharge notes; I also performed physical examination and presented patient cases to the attendings on morning rounds all this of course with previous approval of the attending in charge and the residents also the notes were revised throughly by the resident before submission. Hope anyone can help me in this. Thanks for your help in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar position. In my case, I worded it in ERAS in such a way that I mention that I was part of an exchange program for foreign medical students, give the name of the program, hospital and university, and list the areas I rotated through while avoiding the use of the word "observership" without going into too much detaill. I'm not trying to deceive application reviewers or pull any tricks, but I got to do a lot of things on par with an MS4, sort of what the above poster mentions. The thing is, I did sign an agreement stating I would not participate in "direct patient care or contact", and although all the attendings and staff were OK with it, I'm not sure I should openly admit I violated the agreement.

Because this forum caters mostly to AMGs, not too many people might know what to do in a position like this, but here are my personal suggestions (take them with a grain of salt). I don't think you should write what you did on ERAS because saying "observership" followed by those duties is a weird discrepancy. There are also legal issues behind that, as you may very well know (liability, malpractice, etc.). Things might be different depending on whether or not you signed a contract/agreement and what it said, specifically.

As to whether or not you can openly talk about this during interviews, I don't know. :( I would like to be able to openly talk about these rotations because I feel it is a major selling point on my profile as an IMG applicant, but I don't want to seem like I didn't care at all about the observership agreement/contract, a legally binding document.

I am in a similar position. In my case, I worded it in ERAS in such a way that I mention that I was part of an exchange program for foreign medical students, give the name of the program, hospital and university, and list the areas I rotated through while avoiding the use of the word "observership" without going into too much detaill. I'm not trying to deceive application reviewers or pull any tricks, but I got to do a lot of things on par with an MS4, sort of what the above poster mentions. The thing is, I did sign an agreement stating I would not participate in "direct patient care or contact", and although all the attendings and staff were OK with it, I'm not sure I should openly admit I violated the agreement.

Because this forum caters mostly to AMGs, not too many people might know what to do in a position like this, but here are my personal suggestions (take them with a grain of salt). I don't think you should write what you did on ERAS because saying "observership" followed by those duties is a weird discrepancy. There are also legal issues behind that, as you may very well know (liability, malpractice, etc.). Things might be different depending on whether or not you signed a contract/agreement and what it said, specifically.

As to whether or not you can openly talk about this during interviews, I don't know. :( I would like to be able to openly talk about these rotations because I feel it is a major selling point on my profile as an IMG applicant, but I don't want to seem like I didn't care at all about the observership agreement/contract, a legally binding document.

Dont know what to do.. :( Thats my major selling point also. Do you have skype to talk more please share. Hope evrything goes well at the end, but your right who knows, I saw a thread here but very old I think a program director says its ok for us and even if they are legal percussions they are not gonna hunt you down maybe the people who allowed you to do it, maybe them but I dont think so. But I dont want to get in a problem for free. Hope anyone has other opinion, hard to believe we are just 2 FMGs that we were allowed to just more than "observed".