PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I've been placed on "hold" at Western and UOP and I'm in active consideration for USC all after having interviews this past month.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are at being accepted to one of these schools.

My GPA is a 3.48, and my science GPA is around a 3.25 and I'm really confused because I thought my interview at USC and Western went pretty well.

Do you think if I did well this quarter it would help my status? I currently have A's in my anatomy, immunology and plant bio class and have a B+ in my anatomy lab.

Is it normal for these schools to only accept the TOP students early on and then let the more average applicants like me in later when there is shuffling between schools? Could someone please enlighten me with what usually goes on year to year? I've looked at old threads and noticed USC does take people off, while Western seems to only take a few people off their alt. list.

Its been a bit hard to take getting these letters all in a matter of a week, but I've been able to move on, I've already put another deposit at Touro back in November and I'm fine going there and everything, I'm just wondering if I should still even have hope at getting into the three schools I'm on "hold" for or if I should start looking for roomates now near Vallejo :oops: .. I've lived in or near the bay area my whole life and was sort of hoping for a change, but oh well :laugh:

I also have another interview at Midwestern GPG next week but honestly I don't know why I'm even bothering.. I'm 99% sure that I'm just going to be placed on hold there as well.

I'm a horrible waiter!

Hosstheboss

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I've always wondered that myself. I think that schools accept the top people first reject the lowest people and put everyone else on hold. Not completely sure. I don't really now if you improved grades would help you or not. It depends if they have deemed your file complete for this application process I would guess. However, if the worst happens and you don't get in anywhere it would look good for next year. I have very similar stats to you and got into a school so keep trying. Best of Luck.

Seles3

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Finish your BS degree and then resend transcripts(with the degree posted) to all schools. It will do you wonders! Good luck polarbear!

About the Ads

OasisDwlr

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I thought I remembered the people at Western saying that they offered like 200 accpetances last year for only 120 spots. That means that they went about 80 people deep into their waitlist. Depending on how many people they waitlist at first, those on hold may still have a good shot at being accepted. Just try and be patient and don't give up hope yet!

nightcrawleRx

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I thought I remembered the people at Western saying that they offered like 200 accpetances last year for only 120 spots. That means that they went about 80 people deep into their waitlist. Depending on how many people they waitlist at first, those on hold may still have a good shot at being accepted. Just try and be patient and don't give up hope yet!

Schools offer more acceptances b/c not everyone they accept will in fact go to that school. If you put it like that, 81 people have to reject that school's offer before they even touch the waitlist. Of course it is completely possible, so for anyone out there on waitlists try to stay optimistic and if you don't get in then try again next yr. If you want it bad enough it's entirely worth the wait.

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Schools offer more acceptances b/c not everyone they accept will in fact go to that school. If you put it like that, 81 people have to reject that school's offer before they even touch the waitlist. Of course it is completely possible, so for anyone out there on waitlists try to stay optimistic and if you don't get in then try again next yr. If you want it bad enough it's entirely worth the wait.

So schools over-accept? I was always under the impression they only accepted for however many seats they had, so thats why these schools put so many people on hold or on waitlists because they KNOW that they will have to take people once other students opt to go to other schools. Maybe I'm wrong?

And just to make it clear I've been accepted to a pharmacy program for 2007 already :) , I was just wondering if I should still even bother holding hope for these schools

Thanks for the responses everyone!

cdpiano27

15+ Year Member
May 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
I would still interview at Midwestern - CPG since it is a three-year program. It is worth the try for an accelerated program I think.

Lurkerkat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

Not possible and way too risky. The school would put themselves in the ugly situation that more students than they can accommodate could accept the invitation. Once they send out a letter of acceptance they can't take it back.

I think it's more likely when a school talks about the number of acceptances they offer it includes the initial set they send out which is equal to their maximum class size, and then the ones to people on the wait-list after the first set of invitees either accept or reject the offer.

nightcrawleRx

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Not possible and way too risky. The school would put themselves in the ugly situation that more students than they can accommodate could accept the invitation. Once they send out a letter of acceptance they can't take it back.

I think it's more likely when a school talks about the number of acceptances they offer it includes the initial set they send out which is equal to their maximum class size, and then the ones to people on the wait-list after the first set of invitees either accept or reject the offer.

I was using the example the previous poster gave...80 may be extreme. You're right, that would be way too risky. Also, some schools won't waitlist you automatically, they may just take longer to respond to your app because a lot depends on whether enough people have rejected the offer. I was just trying to make the point of not losing hope if people were on a waitlist. Look how many people on these forums said they applied to 5 or more schools...they can't go to them all so naturally the school(s) they rejected will have to accept more people.

OasisDwlr

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Sorry for any confusion, but the point I was trying to make is that some schools go really deep into their waitlist because students they accept will choose to go to other schools. Schools will only send out acceptances for the number of spots they have, and if students decline their offer then they start going into their waitlist. I was just going off of data that I learned from the Western interview, so take it for what it is.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.